Author Topic: Whatcha reading?  (Read 12312 times)

CHommel

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Whatcha reading?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 11:05:06 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I had made the same assumption about Moby Dick as you had...

However, it will have to wait until I can pick up "Operation Mincemeat" that is waiting for me at the local library...

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 12:38:18 pm »
Not to mention Anne McCaffrey fans.

Yes  ;D

CHommel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56:31 pm »
I'm in the middle of "The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean," by Susan Casey.

I have been particularly fascinated about the various mentions and discussion of solitons, first described by John Scott Russell who observed one in the Union Canal in Scotland in 1834.

Just had a thought:  would the "state of the sea" entries help any of the scientists who study the rogue wave type phenomena?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:06:30 pm by CHommel »

jennfurr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 12:35:04 am »

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 01:05:13 am »

Yes  ;D

:raises hand: that's me!

There weren't any young dragons around when Daniel hatched out, were there?

CHommel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »
A Measureless Peril: America in the Fight for the Atlantic, the Longest Battle of WWII by Richard Snow

I'm about a third of the way through.  The description of the (lack of) space on board the German U boats is, by itself, worth the price of the book.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 02:27:07 am »
The description of the (lack of) space on board the German U boats is, by itself, worth the price of the book.

I'm not happy about confined spaces. I find submarine books uncomfortable reading.
You reminded me of a book dealing with the other side of the WW2 contest and tactics: "Walker RN". I found it a compelling read. Surprisingly, it is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/categories/c55238/
The couple (OK six) of the sections that I've read seem to be as I remember the book.
Johnnie Walker seems to have been an eccentric peg just waiting until the accommodating hole came along. He saw his ideas bear fruit, but didn't see the harvest completed.

jennfurr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 02:51:56 am »

Yes  ;D

:raises hand: that's me!

There weren't any young dragons around when Daniel hatched out, were there?

He'll be D'nel!

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 03:07:38 am »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:38 am »
I'm in the middle of "The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean," by Susan Casey.

I have been particularly fascinated about the various mentions and discussion of solitons, first described by John Scott Russell who observed one in the Union Canal in Scotland in 1834.

Just had a thought:  would the "state of the sea" entries help any of the scientists who study the rogue wave type phenomena

I am sure oceanographers might seriously like it, but there was a simple reason why Philip said they did NOT want it lumped in with weather readings.  http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1904.msg24009#msg24009  Please feel free to record anything that interests you about the "state of the sea" under "Event/Other".

If anyone else is a fan of Naomi Novik's "Temeraire" novels, you'll like the entry at 3.45am

Me too - both of them. 8)

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 08:50:06 am »
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but fans of Patrick O'Brian may be interested to hear that the canon will be released as e-books, apparently in all markets not just in the US, on 5 December 2011 -- Nook, Kindle, and other platforms.  More details are available at http://books.wwnorton.com/books/promo.aspx?id=24340

Enjoy!

dorbel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 09:25:30 am »
On the subject of lack of space in U-boats (and off the subject of books), the film Das Boot is superbly realistic. You can have dubbed english, but it's best in the German with subtitles. Avoid however, the appalling "In Enemy Hands". Apart from the hysterically funny dialogue, it includes footage of two submarines, both underwater firing torpedoes at each other (!!) and a warship firing at a submerged submarine with its maindeck guns (!!!) with the barrels elevated at 45 degrees (!!!!). Get Das Boot, so realistic you can smell the crew. I haven't yet seen U-571, but it's pretty clear that this is more Hollywood re-writing history.

jennfurr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 04:55:53 am »
and related to the Anne McCaffrey subthread here... she died today  :(  :'(

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 05:30:15 am »
Thanks for telling us - she is someone whose life should be celebrated.  My favorite of her stories was The Ship Who Sang.

jennfurr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 06:00:22 am »
Thanks for telling us - she is someone whose life should be celebrated.  My favorite of her stories was The Ship Who Sang.

That was one of the first book of hers I read.  My favorite is Dragonsinger.