Author Topic: Mespot, Africa,Chatterton  (Read 1643 times)

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
Mespot, Africa,Chatterton
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:51:25 pm »
For those who want to read more about the Mesopotamian Campaign:

A.J. Barker book title The Neglected War/ The Bastard War/ The First Iraq War is a good place to start it does have so information on naval operations and the role played by HMS Odin early in the campaign.
Two of the sources used by this book are on archives.org "The long Road to Baghdad" and "In the Clouds Above Baghdad" not much on naval operations in them. Also note Barker's book and  In the clouds above baghdad were both written before the days of political correctness so some people might be offended by parts of them.
Africa:
"The Konigsberg Adventure by E Keble Chatterton is a oldie but goody on the subject which involves a number of ships in oldweather. Other books include: "The Great War in Africa" which deals with all the campaigns against the German colonies in Africa in WW I. For East Africa: Battle for the Bundu and Tanganyikan Guerrilla are good places to start. On archives.org there are older books on this campaign. There is also the site Kaiser'scross.com that has a section Harry's Africa which has accounts of actions and campaigns fought in africa during WW I and earlier. See also the Great War forum for information on

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
Re: Mespot, Africa,Chatterton
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:23 pm »
both the above campaigns and updates on Harry's Africa. Once again there is some "unPCness" in the above works.
E Keble Chatterton was a really prolific nautical writer several of his works can be found on archives.org but only one "Q-ships and Their Story" deals with WW I.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:01 am »
Thanks James. I have done lots of Odin including some of the logs from fairly early in the Mesopotamia Campaign.
There was very significant action including some damage to Odin and incoming sniping, and loads of shelling of Turkish positions, evacuating wounded etc.
Clio and Espiegle, her sister ships were also in the Shatt al Arab and Espiegle in particular paid a significant part in the action, although I havent seen any of her logs from that period yet.
I also transcribed the chase by Odin and scuttling of the Iltis, a British ship that had been captured by a German surface raider and used to lay mines off Aden. These three old sloops really had a fascinating war, even if they also spent months laid up somewhere dull like Bombay being refitted every year or so.
As I take a rest from transcribing Espiegle is swanning around East Africa in 1921 having a wonderful time doing very little.

K

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:25:04 pm by Tegwen »

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:44:09 pm »
Im sorry I negelected the other ships. As for the Iltis besides the book "The Kaisers Pirates" there is a new book on the raider Wolf which captured the ship that has come out recently. There are also the Official Histories Military Operations, Naval Operations, and Operations in Persia which may not be the greatest reads but they do have some information on what ships are doing and maps from the period which helps you find out where you are.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:49:18 pm »
No problem James, there were also masses of gunboats etc, it was very complex and interesting. I have just been caught by these three old girls. 

I have found a few of the official histories etc on the web and still root around occasionally to find more.

I love the fact that several gunboats were shipped out from the UK in bits and assembled and launched at Abadan on the Shatt. This was done fairly quickly once it became clear how important the Tigris and Euphrates were and it became clear that the old sloops and other ships available had too much draft to go much further North than Basra.

I suspect it is no coincidence that the northward push by the British and Indian troops stalled once it became more difficult to support the campaign from the rivers as they got shallower towards Baghdad.

It would be fascinating to work on the logs of some of those gunboats.

I just love learning about these campaigns.
K