Author Topic: HMS Minotaur  (Read 11481 times)

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Minotaur
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 09:16:05 am »
What a way to read about the Yap action. Not a wasted word. The average book account just can't convey what happened with a few dull words. These guys were there and saw it happen. I love original despatches and these log book accounts.

Gordon

carbontax

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 05:34:33 pm »
I have a cadet question. I am aboard the Minotaur in drydock in Hong Kong. Dec. 1913.

In the morning they light fires in one or both picket boats and in the evening they draw fires in same.

What is going on?

CharlesNorrieTemp

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 08:28:37 pm »
One of the first actions of the RN in WWI was to destroy German W/T shore-based facilities in its colonial empire. 

At the time cable communications were virtually controlled by the UK and the German as late comers in the colonial game either had to use British owned cable, which as a belligerent against the UK they were denied or the new fangled W/T.  So German W/T facilities became an immediate target and if destroyable from the sea were.

What's nice about this project is seening real history in operation, at as near to grassrot level as we'll ever get.

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 09:46:23 pm »
Carbontax,

Picket boats were steam driven. Boiler fires had to be lit at the beginning of the day, and put out at the end.

Gordon