Author Topic: Which Lieutenant Commander? "Rinaldo"  (Read 3066 times)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Which Lieutenant Commander? "Rinaldo"
« on: January 29, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »
An interesting entry on the left of this page - a temporary sub lt reprimanded for disrespect - he has signed the entry under protest; but can anyone decipher the name of the Lieutenant Commander who has also signed?  I can't make out much except probably a 'tt' at the end, and don't know any sources of information on crew, only ship names.

Thanks,
Helen J
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:34:40 pm by Janet Jaguar »

mutabilitie

• View Profile
Re: Which Lieutenant Commander?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:11:12 pm »
I think you may have forgotten to attach the image.;)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:32:17 am »
That would account for a dearth of replies!  :D
Here it is: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-57885/ADM%2053-57885-016_1.jpg

cyzaki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:52:53 am »
"I have had occasion to reprimand Temp. Sub. Lt. Hocking RNR for disrespect to Lt D.W. Alexander RNR"

Signed by Hocking by compulsion  ;D Love it!

The other signature, the one you're interested in, looks to me like H Lafawth or somesuch. Have a look next time you get the front page of a log book and see what the captain's name is - it might be him.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:55:26 am by cyzaki »

mutabilitie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »
To me it looks as though the name ends in -witt or possibly -with, but that's as far as I'll go. It's really quite illegible.

mutabilitie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 02:58:04 pm »
The other signature, the one you're interested in, looks to me like H Lafawth or somesuch. Have a look next time you get the front page of a log book and see what the captain's name is - it might be him.
Does your captain sign the log books legibly? ??? Mine did that exactly once, that is when he first joined, and after that it turned into a scrawl. In fact, the current signature looks so different from the name he put on his first log, I'm not even sure whether it's still the same guy, although I suppose another change of captain would have been recorded in the log...

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
No I've never seen a legible signature - just initials down the side of the log book.  And I've never had a name at the front of the log book either.  And in three years of transcribing (I started in 1916, went through to 1919 and am now back earlier in 1916 than when I began!) I've never seen a record of a change of captain.
Does anyone know of a list of ship's captains at this time?  I haven't seen anything in the useful resources thread here.

cyzaki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
The signatures at the front of the log books I've had have all been beautifully legible. Obviously I'm just lucky!

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 06:47:18 pm »
I have a legible signature!  At the beginning of the April 1916 logbook - however it's the navigating officer - D W Alexander, not the Captain.
One page had a similar signature to the Lieutenant Commander's - but it was just as illegible as on 25th March.

cyzaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:26 pm »
Ooh! He's the chap that Hocking was disrespectful to! I wonder what was said?

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 07:11:47 pm »
Wouldn't it be great to have a recording!   ;D  Whatever it was I suspect the temporary sub lieutenant may well have been back to the ranks ...

mesc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 09:03:57 pm »
Just found this on google

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89986

Post #20 lists a Lt.Commander H.M. Garrett who served aboard the Rinaldo in June 1917

mutabilitie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »
Just found this on google

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89986

Post #20 lists a Lt.Commander H.M. Garrett who served aboard the Rinaldo in June 1917
Yes, that's it - well spotted.:D Although I never would have guessed it from the signature. The loop of the G is practically invisible.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 09:22:48 pm »
Brilliant  :D  I would never have got it from the signature.  And looking at the post on the Great War Forum I recognise several of the other ships mentioned in the same action - Talbot, Himalaya, Thistle and Princess were all around a lot.
Thanks very much everyone - it's good to know who the 'real' captain of Rinaldo is!

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 09:08:55 pm »
Wouldn't it be great to have a recording!   ;D  Whatever it was I suspect the temporary sub lieutenant may well have been back to the ranks ...

Actually looks like he wasn't - I've just reached the end of February 1917 (on my second trawl through) and he signs the log as temporary sub lieutenant.  Mind you, as the original record was March 1916 I guess there was time for him to have gone down and come back up again.