Author Topic: is the focus on weather, events or of equal importance  (Read 7349 times)

aspringer

• View Profile
is the focus on weather, events or of equal importance
« on: October 15, 2010, 03:24:19 pm »
I'm having great fun transcribing, but depending on the computer I use, entering events is problematic . (my computer - not the program).  Can we skip entering events and focus only on weather data, or is it important to get both. Frustrating or not, if it is important to enter both weather and events, I will.

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: is the focus on weather, events or of equal importance
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:33:36 pm »
Hi aspringer
First of all it is not the intention to enter everything as an event. Only the interesting things. But if it is too difficult and frustrating for you , just concentrate on the weather reports.
And remember other people will see these same pages too, so the  information will get recorded !
Hope this helps
Els

aspringer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:52:20 pm »
Thanks Elizabeth,
I am happy to know I can still contribute even when unable to enter events. The log entries are so interesting to read, I find I want to list all but the most mundane entries as events, so perhaps between using the easy computer and the evil computer it will balance out.  ;D
Thanks again, and now back to transcribing !!

sempstress

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:26:34 pm »
As a historian with a primary interest in the everyday events of life I am concerned that the advice is not to record 'uninteresting' events. Presumably this will prevent costume historians picking up on entries such as 'Make and mend clothes' which I think would be a mistake and render the records incomplete. In addition your advice would me I could well miss out battles and sightings of other ships as to me they are less interesting! My solution so far is to include all entries so as to have a complete record rather than one based on a subjective judgement.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 05:02:06 pm »
Hello sempstress.
Because it's intended that at least three people look at each log page, we should get a range of events reported.
Certainly reporting every event will help! I like to report the 'make and mends' too.
Welcome aboard.  :D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:27:50 am by Janet Jaguar »

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:14 pm »
When I first got involved in the naval history side, I suggested reducing the number of events recorded by coming up with a list of "the important" - if only to save people a lot of time and possible frustration.

I have since discovered that Old Weatherers (what do we call ourselves?) are just as interested in the "unimportant" as anything else. They all tell a fascinating story of a bygone age.

My rule of thumb now would be to record anything that interests you, and leave out what doesn't. If others fill in those gaps, great. If not, then we'll still have such an immense wealth of information (an Aladdin's cave-worth) that it won't really matter.

Gordon

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:56:33 pm »
I have since discovered that Old Weatherers (what do we call ourselves?) ...
Gordon

Old Foggies? (note 2 g's rather than 1!) ;D

pliget

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 05:56:29 pm »
I must confess I leave all the routine things like course changes, football parties, signal books correct, rounds correct etc. and this includes make and mend. I have also tended to leave most of the church comments, although I have transcribed a few where there seemed to be singular items such as a rare church community. I feel RC, Anglican, Presbyterian, Wesleyan etc. are again fairly routine and the transcription of these would not advance our knowledge.

I view these as part of the normal life on board ship and can not see that hundreds of make and mends, for instance, would provide any clues to any sort of historian. If the make and mend were to be qualified in some unique way however, I would record it. Otherwise, and for this specific entry, I think we could gain all that we need to know by reflection that most ships have a regular make and mend session every so often.

My approach is somewhat driven by the fragility of event recording I have experienced as I am loth to increase the chances of my page crashing and/or having to retype it (and maybe several others around it, exponentially increasing the chance of a page crash) as I made an error.

Otherwise it is a little akin to treasure-hunting. I want to spot the unique, "riveting" entries and not end up as a plod, recording a lot of useless entries that will never be of any use.

I do record sick list numbers as I have seen suggestions on these and can see it may be of use. Otherwise I would tend to resist increasing the amount of work transcribing a page just because it would be nice, without a solid reason to do so from someone who can explain how the records would be useful.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:58:57 pm by pliget »

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:22:38 pm »
I always record sick list, ships met, entered or left harbour, ratings going to/from hospital, warrants read, sightings of light houses etc, disciplinary actions taken, individual persons named for any reason, events such as 'tornado', coal taken on board and 'oddball' events.  I don't usually record church services etc but made an exception where the numbers going to each denomination were given. I don't record course alterations, cleaning ship, lighting fires, leave to watches etc.

CHommel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 10:18:33 pm »
Should we be reporting coal taken on board?  I have not done so, thinking that was just routine activity by the ship.

Please advise.

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 10:22:14 pm »
Hi Carolyn
I don't record it, and I don't think many others do.
But if you feel it's worth recording, please feel free !  :D
The 'rule' is : record what you think is interesting.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 02:58:30 pm »
I don't record everyday stuff like increased/decreased revs, altered course, hands cleaning ship etc.  But I must admit I have recently started recording the time coaling starts, the time they finish, and any figures for the number of tons taken on board - this was after noticing how much longer coaling took at Busta Voe compared to Glasgow!

Who knows what obscure subject some postgraduate student of the future might chose for their thesis.  If someone decides to study coal consumption on the Atlantic Patrol they may be very grateful for my observations! :)

I am assuming that correlating the events data will work in a different way from the weather data.  With the weather data you would be hoping that all three transcribers' records would match exactly.  That is never going to happen with the events data, where I am guessing the entries will be amalgamated and duplicates taken out?  So hopefully, between three loggers who will each have found different things to be of interest, you can build up a pretty good summary of what happened.

It should be quite a challenge amalgamating the data on the Atlantic Patrol - no doubt there will be a lot of different versions of the names of all those Danish and Norwegian ships!

Su

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 03:43:12 pm »
Thanks, Su, I do that with fuel also.  It seems to be connected to ship movements and environment.

As far as any/all notes go, the rule is to transcribe any and only those that interest you.  That is what makes this project fun. 

The only other rule is to record only what is written.  The formatting may be adjusted (fractions can be decimals, weather data in the wrong column gets recorded in the correct column, and little pictures of anchors get written "anchor"), but do not add anything of your own and do not correct obvious errors and goofs. 

The preferences the team expresses is needing to know your ship movements for the climatologists, and historians eager to learn anything about other ships sighted, persons' names and events and battles. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:18:46 am by Janet Jaguar »

dorbel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 03:55:54 pm »
I do coaling, but I can't see that it matters much if you don't. It is interesting (to me) to see how fast they could get it on board when they felt like it. The big ships get through 80 or 90 tons a day and the physical work involved in the bunkers and the boiler rooms to do that, often in a heavy sea, often in very high temperatures was phenomenal. Considering that they were also in the most vulnerable place in the ship in the event of torpedo attack, the stokers can't in my view be praised to highly for their wartime work.
Spare a thought for the men in the colliers too. Plodding about the sea lanes delivering the black stuff was also a thankless task. Slow when full and tossed about like cork when empty can't have been much of a life. I suppose this is all why I find "Commenced coaling" to be an interesting entry!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 06:01:10 pm »
Same here - it fleshes out my ability to imagine how the ship is functioning.  It adds to my fun. :)