Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 71111 times)

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Introduce Yourself
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:35:09 am »
Time to let us know who you are, how you got here, what made Old Weather interesting to you and anything else you'd like people to know.

Also for newbies and older members alike:
I have started an OW people map at http://goo.gl/maps/Z2IsJ.
If you want your town (not address) on the map, message me with the info.
pommystuart.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:14:31 am by Janet Jaguar »

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:24:49 pm »

Mmmkay, I'll start.

I'm DJ.  I live in Lake Hills, a pretty part of Bellevue, which is right across Lake Washington from Seattle.  I'm married and have two grown daughters, 23 and 20.  I'm a life-long musician (multi-instrumentalist) and I've been a deejay since I was 15.  I retired early and now keep busy with various projects in the Zooniverse, and by doing a pair of weekly Net radio shows.  This project is interesting to me for several reasons, but mainly I'm a history fanataic (buff just sounds too mild for it) and I've been concerned about climate change for a long time.  Two major interests in one project?  Heck yes.  Sign me up. 

Next!

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:59:35 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm Caro and I live south of London in the UK but I was born and raised in Australia. I've taken part in most of the Zooniverse projects and I'm sure I will find Old Weather just as addictive as all the others. And I'll make pictures out of anything.  ;D

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »
She will, too.  Cool pictures.  She just made one of you and you never even knew it.  And you never looked better!

zoot horn rollo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:35 pm »
I am zoot horn rollo and I am an unreconstituted train and plane spotter. I also work in research support at a MAJOR university in the west midlands here in the UK and saw a press release sent round by JISC about this project. I have a certain amount of naval blood in me and this was more interesting than reviewing research funding contracts (oops) at lunchtime.

Carry on number one, left hand down a bit...

theremin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:39:48 am »
I thought zoot rollo horn was a guitarist in captain beefheart's band, not a scientist ;).
I'm theremin and i'm  an amateur astronomer in essex,England. I got addicted to solar storm watch to wile away the cloudy nites, but strangely have dabbled with trains too. Like the mix of history and science in this incarnation, although my battleship seems stuck in port for a month so far!

pennamite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 05:43:16 am »
Hi, I'm Penny in Redondo Beach CA.  I read a lot of 19c handwriting while working on my dissertation, and I love crowdsourcing history projects, so this works for me.  I found this project through Tim Sherratt (wragge on twitter); I've enjoyed being part of his Flickr Machine Tag Challenge and following his other work.

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:51:24 am »
Welcome, ZRH, Pennemite and Theremin. 

Theremin: I used to have a Theremin.  Actually, a homemade Theremin.  That thing was a blast.  Do you play?  I used to think I played, but then I heard Clara Rockmore and realized that, no, I just waved a lot and made some cool noises.  :)

Pennamite: What's a Flickr Machine Tag Challenge? 

zoot horn rollo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 12:36:55 pm »
I thought zoot rollo horn was a guitarist in captain beefheart's band, not a scientist ;).

Worse than that, I'm not even a scientist - I'm a lawyer... But well done for knowing that zhr was one of Beefheart's guitarists.  :)

I seem to remember that the good captain also dabbled in the theramin as well.

PeterD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 02:26:49 pm »
Hi, I'm Peter

I have taken part in several of the Zooniverse projects so far. I am a Physicist/Mathematician/Computer Scientist  whose original love (many,many years ago) was astronomy. I'm based in the UK about 40 SW of London, where we DO get dark skies still (just about).

Old Weather is a fascinating view of what else can be done with the zooniverse technologies. I am already addicted.

Peter

MikeO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 05:49:28 pm »
Hi, I'm Mike, just joined today. I live in Berkshire though I am originally from West Wales. Have a bit of time on my hands so thought I would do something useful with it.  ;D

donald_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 05:56:24 pm »
I'm Dave, a sound artist in the US. I heard about this project through BoingBoing, and came to check it out. I was surprised to see how interesting it was, despite my near-total disinterest in meteorology and naval history. Seriously, if you'd asked me to come up with something guaranteed to bore me to tears, I could have only added "watching American Idol" to make the mix more potent. But I'm hooked anyway, go fig!

I think it is knowing that my ship (the HMS Attack) ends up on the bottom of the Mediterranean that drew me in. I'm very much caught by the thought of these logs being kept in such a precise manner by people who would, about a year later, be torpedoed. From what I've read so far, the HMS Attack lost 10 men while attempting to save sailors from another vessel. So I figure that the least I can do is to help see that some of their work lives on in a fashion.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 05:58:06 pm »
Welcome PeterD, MikeO and donald_duck. We're so glad that you've joined us.  ;D

bohne2k7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:19:42 pm »
Then I'll introduce myself here as well, as I'm going to be quite active (and addicted) with this Zooniverse project.

I'm from Germany, although I'm living, working and studying in London for half a year now to finish my bachelors degree in applied mathematics in life science.

Probably my biggest addiction is within volunteer distributed computing as the BOINC platform (not thinking as the Zooniverse) and the German society Rechenkraft.net e.V.

The special charm of OldWeather is on the one hand the history and on the other the weather itself. As well, that we are primarily dealing with man-made rather than nature-made resources!

Cheers,
Bohne

pennamite

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 06:37:53 pm »
Welcome, ZRH, Pennemite and Theremin. 

Pennamite: What's a Flickr Machine Tag Challenge?

Not sure I can explain it very well, so here's the link:
http://wraggelabs.com/fmtc/about/

I was already busy in the Flickr Commons project, tagging and commenting and remixing, so adding Tim's machine tags was something I could do while I was already there.