Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 78603 times)

elizabeth

• View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 06:57:06 pm »
 :D Hi, Shipmates. I am LIZ I live in California and have been  around the different zoos for a while. I love history, ships and planes so for my first ship to work on I choice HMS Nairana a Seaplane carrier. ;D

GeorgeTed

• Retired Joiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 08:15:43 pm »
Hi from Grimsby

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 08:28:03 pm »
Welcome Bohne, Liz and GeorgeTed.
It's good to see you here.  ;D

redmerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 10:10:23 pm »
Hi Everyone

I am retired and in past lives have been Teacher, Business Woman and IT trainer.
Nearest thing to having anything to do with the Navy was dating a couple of  Sub Lieutenants during their training at Dartmouth Royal Naval College way back in the sixties......which shows my age!!!!
I  have always been interested in the sea and weather. I used to go fishing out from Teignmouth, South Devon.
Also interested in History, wildlife (Furry and feathered variety don't get much chance at the other sort these days!)....
Really interested in most things :D
I saw this on the Met Office site and explored it and thought it sounded really interesting as well as being a useful thing to do.
I was right too! It is interesting. A couple of pages has already given me an insight into the daily lives of these men at sea in WWl. Absolutely fascinating.
Also lots to learn here.
You will be seeing more of me as I am sure I will need lots of help.

cw955

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 11:01:44 pm »
Hi, I'm Chris from God's own country (Yorkshire) got a bit of time on my hands and am interested in ships so I thought I'd have a go at contributing.

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 11:10:50 pm »
Hi cw955 and redmerlin !
Welcome on board ! Hope you have fun here !  :D

xqic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 12:55:52 am »
Hello,
chosen a cruiser which took part in the battle of Jutland & convoy duties into the Med. and Australia (and survived to the end of the war) so should be an interesting cruise. Swapped clerks and a Rear Admiral has moved his flag onto my ship already.(7 days). Fascinating

andysweeney

• It just appeals to the OCD in me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 12:57:53 am »
Hello!

I'm Andy and I am a bit of a naval history geek. My days at work can be quiet and there's an OCD sense of satisfaction in ploughing through logs and inputting data.

And yes - I need to get out more  ;D

Bill W

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 01:44:53 am »
Like redmerlin I am retired.  Have been for almost two weeks now so I am getting adjusted.  And. like andysweeney a little bit OCD.  But I'm also a sailor (small sailboats, nothing of the size we are dealing with here) and I enjoy delving into the personal history details that are not usually covered in the usual history books.  I guess you can call me a voyeur of sorts.  But, finally, I am a weather nut and that's the "hook" that got me to join up.

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 05:25:09 am »

Awright!  Three cheers for the ROCDC!  The Retired OCD Crew!  I always tell people OCD is an asset on projects like this.  We get a bit less done, but we get it done right.

screamingguns

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 11:59:15 am »
Hi, my names Matt, and I'm from Spalding, England.  I found out about this project via the Huffington Post article on Old Weather, thought it'd be nice to give a helping hand in science, and also to get a peak into an otherwise unknown world.  So far it's all rather addictive.

t.stockdale

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 11:03:21 pm »
Hi, I'm Tim.

In my professional life I'm a research scientist, and I and my colleagues actually get to use this sort of weather data when it comes to "reanalysing" the state of the atmosphere and ocean in the 20th Century. Not sure how long it will be before this particular data finds it's way into the datasets I use, but I'm sure it will at some stage. So a big thanks to you all!!

Due to work and family, I won't be contributing as much as many of you to the inputting, but I thought I'd like to try my hand, and it's always interesting to see some original sources.

dyjps

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 11:23:09 pm »
Hi to all.

My name is Dave and I work at the Oceanography Centre in Southampton, actually in the heart of the port, so I have a connected interest in helping here.
It's great to see all the shipping coming and going here like cruise ships and container vessels.
I originally had problems reading the handwritten text on the charts but have developed an easier way to read them which I will post when I find where to put them, say to Hints & Tips for example.
I have noticed a few bugs, so when I know where to report them, I will.

Keep up the good work, old documents like these shouldn't be allowed to be lost forever.
Warm regards. Dave.

Uigin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 12:16:25 am »
Hi All. I'm yet another retiree, going on my second year now. Plenty of time on my hands so I thought I'd try this out. Can only spend so much time fiddling, baking bread and reading...

The name I'm using is that of an ancestor; it means "viking" in Irish so I may have inherited some nautical blood.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 07:28:36 am »
Welcome Matt, Tim, Dave and Uigin.
It's great to see you all here.  ;D