Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 71375 times)

zoot horn rollo

• View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 09:40:11 am »
Hi to all.

My name is Dave and I work at the Oceanography Centre in Southampton, actually in the heart of the port, so I have a connected interest in helping here.
It's great to see all the shipping coming and going here like cruise ships and container vessels.
I originally had problems reading the handwritten text on the charts but have developed an easier way to read them which I will post when I find where to put them, say to Hints & Tips for example.
I have noticed a few bugs, so when I know where to report them, I will.

Keep up the good work, old documents like these shouldn't be allowed to be lost forever.
Warm regards. Dave.

Hi Dave

I used to work in the RSO up on Highfield Campus  ;)

zhr

HawkerHart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 05:13:32 pm »
Hi all,
I'm Tom from south wales (original south wales not new south wales unfortunately ;D )

Bit of a military history geek, reading the remarks section on the logs has got me hooked ::)

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 05:15:52 pm »
Hello HawkerHart, pleased to meet you. I am from New South Wales. But long ago.  ;D

HawkerHart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 05:21:55 pm »
you left!?!  ;D

I complain, but there is something to be said about living in a country with a middle of the road climate.

V.G.E.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 09:20:40 pm »
Hi everybody,

I'm Viv and used to be addicted to galaxyzoo - until my eyes gave out ... hopefully that problem has been solved now, so I'm happy to try my hand at reading old handwritings!

I'm very much interested in these old weather records because I think that a collection like this one has a lot to teach us, in the same way that observations by Victorian naturalists and their daily recordings had a lot to tech us about plants, growing seasons and so forth.

Dunno how much time I can spend here, but will definitely do my best, seeing that galaxyzoo was such a huge success.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 10:16:41 pm »
Hi, I'm Alice and I spend most of my time at the Galaxy Zoo forum which I've moderated since Day 1 in 2007. Since joining the zoo I've got into freelance science journalism as well as learned more, formally and informally, than I ever have in my life! ;D

Coincidentally, although I know very little about ships, my best subject at school was history and I very nearly went into that instead of science. I want to get more into Old Weather than I've managed to so far as it looks wonderful! ;D

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 10:38:01 pm »
Hey all,
I'm Els from Belgium and I've been involved (quite by accident) in all things Zoo right from the start. This is a very different project, but it grows on you every day more and more.  :D

phil299

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 10:52:38 am »
Hi
My name is Philip, and I am a Antiquarian/ Secondhand bookshop owner, which means I spend a fair amount of time waiting for people to come in or watching them browse. Perfect log transcribing time  :D
This is my first encounter with any of the 'Zoo' projects. I have a fairly keen interest in Military history and both my Grandparents we in the Navy. My Mothers father was on minesweepers and prior to that the Dover Patrol and my fathers father was a wireless operator in the second world war, he used to say he was the first one to hear the Bismark was sunk , however on closer examination of the records it might well be he was ...exaggerating a bit. Both are long gone now.

Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 01:27:33 pm »
Hi I'm based almost in the centre of the UK, in Tamworth. My interest in Naval matters stems from my Father who served as a volunteer in the Royal Navy 1940/45, '42 to '45 on HMS Whimbrel. So making a contribution towards a better understanding of weather at sea, is in memory of my Dad. Which brings me to an interesting question. When I was registering I chose WHIMBREL  as my login name, I was told that this had already been used. So who else knows of HMS Whimbrel? and what is their connection to the ship?

I also have an interest in weather signs at sea having spent a lot of time sailing dinghies and ocean going yachts around UK waters. My speciality is "Single Person Weather Forecasts", though I came unstuck whil visiting Australia, where the sun rose on my right  and one looked north for sunlight etc.

markguy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 02:17:17 pm »
I'm a trophy husband recently moved to NY. In between trying to keep three kids under the age of six alive and more or less well-kept, I thought I might be able to help.

Every male member of my family (other than myself), going back at least two generations, served in the Navy. My brother is a CPO stationed in Bethesda currently. I missed heading to ROTC due to a borderline medical condition and got over breaking the streak long ago. Not that anyone cared, just seemed like something I was supposed to do. :)

Oh, and the Hornblower series are a favorite of mine.

Caro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 02:20:30 pm »
Welcome aboard Viv, phil299 and Dunbar. I hope that you all enjoy yourselves here.
And a big hello to Alice and Els!

Oops. Hello markguy, trophy husband  :o ;D .

Press-ganged by the Swiss Navy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 03:58:56 pm »
Ahoy me hearties,

I'm hydrologist, expedition leader and dad living in Kent, UK. I learnt my climatology from the good folks at the Climate Research Unit at UEA back in the mid-nineties before it became a seething den of climate conspiracy (if the Sunday Telegraph is to be believed) ;)

I think this is a fantastic project and as someone who has previously built and calibrated hydrological river models I know the value of good quality historic data.

I recommend doing the log books while listening to the sea shanties of Kimber's Men on Spotify. ;D

Sean

Caro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 05:07:16 pm »
Welcome aboard Sean. Off to check out Kimber's Men.  ;D

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 04:58:35 am »

Trophy husband!  That made me laugh for a few minutes! 

Welcome, everyone.

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2010, 10:52:28 am »
Dear Markboy,

I know the feeling. All my family in the navy, grandfather sunk twice in WW1, father lost in action in WW2, but never got in myself and spent much of my life regretting it.

Now in my late 60's, running www.naval-history.net and sailing. couldn't have had a better "naval career". Maybe Old Weather could be the start of yours.

All the best,

Gordon Smith (naval-history@ntlword.com if you want to get in touch)