Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 71481 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »
More toys! ;D

but how many left gender unspecified?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:39:01 pm by Randi »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2013, 03:55:40 pm »
More toys! ;D

but how many left gender unspecified?

Most did - but when their email includes "Keith" and/or when we have come to know them by name, I have info not on that list.  What gender anyone did specify is not included anyway.  (There was only 1 name in the 50-odd I genuinely don't know.)   ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »
Niagara Falls, NY for me  8) --NOBODY knows where North Tonawanda is!!! ::)
Well I got nosey...and found the inter-church pantry (using Google Earth) which I bet you know....recorded on a VERY wet day.
Being able to drive round half the world is just soooo wonderful.
If anyone 'drives' into Kidlington go look for Mill Lane and Church Street - some of its lovelier old buildings are on those streets. Cromwell billeted his army here for two winters given how rich the village was. Richard Branson lives in the old Mill where Evans Lane and Mill Lane meet (less than 10 minutes from my house - but our bank accounts are worlds apart ;) ;D).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:55:36 pm by AvastMH »

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:23 pm »
When I started reading and writing here in the forum I was using default=male, then I realized i was simply surrounded by womens and switched to default=female :P :P

The puzzling thing is that if you look at [More Stats] you will see this:

Male to Female Ratio:    46:1

Caro (default)  :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2013, 06:52:02 pm »
And, if you look at the top ten posters, eight are female. ::)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »
When I started reading and writing here in the forum I was using default=male, then I realized i was simply surrounded by womens and switched to default=female :P :P

The puzzling thing is that if you look at [More Stats] you will see this:

Male to Female Ratio:    46:1

Caro (default)  :)

That's why I did a manual count - between Bunts, Craig, Dean, Howard, Keith, Matteo, Stuart, et al on one side, and Caro, Helen, Janet, Joan, Kathy, Randi, Rosemary, Su, et al on the other side, neither gender can be limited to 2% of participants.  :)
(Women are chattier - only 8 of the top 20 are men.)

szukacz

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2013, 08:43:12 pm »
Funny.
This reminds me of the situation when a half years I had contact with a person from India.
All this time I thought that this person was a woman. Sometimes it happens ...  ;D

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2013, 09:06:52 pm »
After a working life of engineers & orthopaedic surgeons it is nice to be able to chat with a more evenly balanced group.  If OW ever folds then I will miss you all.

Jerry Mason

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - s3bpilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59:07 pm »
Hello, I am Jerry Mason, retired USN pilot, amateur historian of the U-boat War and Administrator of the U-boat Archive website.  Thank you very much for the Old Weather Forum.  I find the many links to sources of information very helpful in my work.  I enjoy transcribing/translating U-boat Kriegstagebuch (war diaries) you can see some examples here.  These diaries included weather reports typically every four hours.  The notation is not standard but many U-boats use the Beaufort notations and looking into that is how I found the Old Weather Forum.  Some of my notes on weather entries are here.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 20, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »
Welcome!
Nice to know of a similar and related transcription project, Jerry.  I'm glad that all our efforts to accumulate years of resource posts is also useful to others.  I'm also hoping we can tempt you into getting involved in our transcriptions.  Everyone here is also friendly, and glad to chat or answer questions.  :)

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 20, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »
Pleased to meet you, Jerry. I hope you find Old Weather as addictive as the rest of us do.

Clewi

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 20, 2013, 10:10:16 pm »
Hello and welcome! I had the idea to use u-boat reports a while ago. After all there must be quite decent coverage of weather data available for the mid-Atlantic and the North Sea. And of course the ice data collected during the arctic ops (mostly '42 and '43 IIRC).

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2013, 04:12:27 am »
Nice to meet you Jerry. Sounds like you have an equally exciting project to work on!
Joan

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 21, 2013, 12:48:18 pm »
Welcome to our Group, Jerry. Hope we can help each other with some very valuable research. Drop in often the weather here is usually fine!! ;D

Jerry Mason

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - s3bpilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 22, 2013, 05:00:45 pm »
Thank you all for your kind replies, I have access to almost all U-boat Kriegstagebuch (war diaries) and would be happy to look into a particular boat/patrol.  I also have a copy of the Short Signal codebook for sending weather reports and a few other weather related documents.    For Clewi, I have translated about 150 KTBs apart from those on the publicly available pages of my website.  There are a number of arctic patrols with atrocious weather and the North Atlantic was often worse with some storms at Force 10 and 11.  Most weather KTB entries are short and not standardized from boat to boat but sometimes there is the text of a weather report.  It might be interesting to look at a boat assigned to weather reporting duty.   I will have a look at that.  Back to work for me now.