Author Topic: Whatcha listening to?  (Read 122226 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Whatcha listening to?
« Reply #885 on: March 09, 2017, 06:35:39 pm »
Today I am listening to anything by Albert Lee.

Went to see him & his new electric band, in Bristol last night. and they were great. He is 74 and has the fastest hands I have ever seen.

His history is fantastic, played with the Crickets, the Everly Brothers, & Emmylou Harris among others.

Gosh! I feel ashamed that I don't know his name given his connections ...must get a taster :)

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 09, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »
But did you get to see the Foo Fighters when they played Frome, Keith?

No I didnt, only found out that they were on from the local news.

For those who missed this item, they played an invitation only gig to announce that they will headline Glasto this year. Frome is a very small town & we have a concert venue called the Cheese & Grain Hall, capacity 500, which has had some great gigs, but the Foo Fighters are a little out of our normal league!!

It is probably the nearest decent hall to the Glastonbury Festival site, which I guess is why they chose it.

Frome centre was apparantly jammed solid the whole afternoon & evening.

I was going to post links to some of the news items, but Dave Grohl's comments from the stage here, about Trump & his supporters, when quoted in full, are not acceptable for this forum. Feel free to look them up!!

I must admit that when I heard about it on the radio the next day I did have to check that it wasn't 1 April!  I heard that they asked Michael Eavis to suggest a small venue near Glastonbury where they could play a secret gig - apparently the Cheese & Grain was a little smaller than they had actually expected!

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 10, 2017, 04:07:43 pm »
Today I am listening to anything by Albert Lee.

Went to see him & his new electric band, in Bristol last night. and they were great. He is 74 and has the fastest hands I have ever seen.

His history is fantastic, played with the Crickets, the Everly Brothers, & Emmylou Harris among others.

Gosh! I feel ashamed that I don't know his name given his connections ...must get a taster :)

I hope you enjoy his stuff. In addition to his work with the above, he was a member of Head Hands & Feet, in the 70s & of a band called Hogans Heroes in the last 10 years or so. He was also Gram Parsons' guitarist for many years.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:18:15 pm by Tegwen »

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 10, 2017, 04:09:45 pm »
While I was typing the above I have on BBC Radio 4. The obituary programm is on & they have just announced that Pete "Overend" Watts, the bassist with Mott the Hoople has died.

They have just described him as one of the founders of Glam Rock. My excuse is that I was a fan way before that phase!!

One of my favourite bands of the 70s.

RIP Overend Watts.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:19:11 pm by Tegwen »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:44 pm »
 :'(  Mott the Hoople -what a blast from the past Keith.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 19, 2017, 10:49:14 am »
RIP Chuck Berry.