Author Topic: RN "Copy of Log"  (Read 4284 times)

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: "Copy of Log"
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 04:26:44 pm »
I'm quite interested in what rules there might have been for the copyist -- did they have rules, like we do here, of "put down what is in the log, not what you think should be in the log" ?

I ask because if you look at the 0900 activity entry compared to the 1300 activity entry on http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM53-69210/ADM53-69210-027_0.jpg, there are two distinctly different activities being recorded!  (scrapping vs scraping)

It's very definitely the same writer, and in both places the word is written without apparent hesitation, scratching out, squeezing in an extra p, or anything else that suggests he was in any doubt how to spell the word.  Did he copy it verbatim, knowing that whoever wrote the original had miswritten but he had to make an exact copy anyway, or did he unconsciously make a mistake himself?

In re the boat's book that mutabilitie saw lost overboard, maybe it was the owner's manual?  ;D

mutabilitie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »
In re the boat's book that mutabilitie saw lost overboard, maybe it was the owner's manual?  ;D
'Congratulations on purchasing your new IKEA Whaler 'Moby'! To assemble, just follow the 417 easy steps detailed below, taking care not to confuse the dozens of similar-looking yet radically different parts. Once assembled, store in a cool dry place.
Warning: if assembled incorrectly, this whaler may capsize when you least expect it and cause you all sorts of bother, so don't even think about throwing away this booklet.' :P

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 07:08:22 pm »
Glad I wasn't eating when I read that - brilliant!   :D :D :D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »
I'm quite interested in what rules there might have been for the copyist -- did they have rules, like we do here, of "put down what is in the log, not what you think should be in the log" ?

I ask because if you look at the 0900 activity entry compared to the 1300 activity entry on http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM53-69210/ADM53-69210-027_0.jpg, there are two distinctly different activities being recorded!  (scrapping vs scraping)
The only thing I'm sure of is NOBODY scrapped the side of the ship!  Just think of the un-seaworthy hole that would leave in the hull! ;D  Proof that copyists (and probably transcribers) are as open to human error as the original log keepers. :(

From what I've seen, accuracy is more important than neatness - but they don't add or change things that don't look wrong.  I notice they are all (originals & copies) signed off on by the officers in charge of that watch.

I love the owner's manual intro mutabilitie wrote.  Just think what would happen if the sailors putting it together were as allergic to reading instructions as my brother is. :D

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 08:20:23 pm »

I've wondered about this myself.  My guess is that they had to copy exactly what was there, and not alter or correct anything.  I'm saying this because I've noticed that, say, wind speeds might be written as "5/6" through one watch then "3.4" for the next watch.  So the log-keeper doesn't seem to impose his own preferences for style.