Author Topic: Event- Numbers on "Sick List"  (Read 8155 times)

kennymac825

• View Profile
Event- Numbers on "Sick List"
« on: October 15, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »
I have started to record the number of people on the sick list. Can this be added to the default list of events. I am adding under Other.

I think it will be interesting to track over time the rise and fall of the numbers as we get closer to areas of conflict.

elizabeth

• View Profile
Re: Event- Numbers on "Sick List"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:13:05 pm »
I have started to record the number of people on the sick list. Can this be added to the default list of events. I am adding under Other.

I think it will be interesting to track over time the rise and fall of the numbers as we get closer to areas of conflict.
:D I include the number of sick also. I wounder if they have medical logs.

chickeneyed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:30:21 am »
I'm plugging in the sick list ,too.I'm using these default settings:Person/#[in place of name]/ill.I'd bet that researchers in Epidemiology would LOVE to get at those statistics,especially if any related medical records have been preserved.Too bad it's not a required field in our labors!Let's the three of us keep it up,anyway!

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:58:10 am »

I think it's supposed to be "Events/Other", but I could be wrong, so I'll check and get back to you. 

kennymac825

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:05:28 pm »
Great idea chckeneyed. I like your method better but I will await DJs' response before changing. (Don't want to cause too much confusion)

FYI HMS Fox for a time was averaging 5-8 on daily sick list (300+ crew) and then spiked to 15-18 for a few days then dropped back to average. As we are patrolling in the Gulf of Oman  and am curious as to what brought on the spike. It's fun tracking this stuff. (Mum always thought I would make a good medical researcher LOL)

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 11:34:37 pm »
It would be interesting to see how this tied in with deaths in the RN. You can find  RN casualty lists from 1914 to the present at http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1003-Intro.htm .

I've never had time to analyse them, but apart from war-related losses, many of them were due to illness, accident, drowning etc. In fact once you get into 1920 and thereafter, most deaths are due to these causes.

I was shocked by the number of men who drowned right up until some time after WW2, when lifejackets became standard when working on deck.

Another area of interest is the men who died during the Spanish Flu epidemic. I don't know how bad it was in the RN, but it was tragically large in the US Navy - starting in 1918 at http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyUS-CasualtiesChrono1918-01Jan.htm

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 04:59:50 pm »

Still waiting on the response to this one.  I didn't want you to think it slipped through the cracks. 

zookeeperChris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Zooniverse
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 10:58:53 am »
I don't think we had any idea that this was so systematically recorded - or at least I didn't until now! I think the important thing is to be consistent, and then we can recover the data. For now, either put a note in other beginning 'Sick list' or use the convention suggested by chickeneyed. We'll review the default list soon...

Cheers

Chris

kennymac825

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 03:30:36 pm »
I will use chickeneyeds method. It's much cleaner. Thanks for the response

cyzaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:51:10 am »
Any update on this?

I've been using 'event, other' and writing 'Sick List: 12' or whatever the number is. Is that OK?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »
Me too.  It's easiest.

dorbel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »
I use other. I think it is also important to record 0 or nil, but not assume that a blank box is a zero. On the sick list doesn't necessarily mean unfit for duty of course and many of these will be injuries. A steel warship at sea in all weathers is a dangerous place and strains, sprains and broken bones are commonplace.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 03:00:40 pm »
I use Event / Other too.

Originally, I typed in 'Number on Sick List: 4', but then I thought that the position of the box should make it clear that it is the sick list and just put the number '4'. If 'Sick List:' is prefered I will happily do that. Please let me know.

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »
I'm using chickeneyed's method : Person - nr of sick - ill - left blank.
But I think both methods are okay,see Zookeeper Chris' remark in this thread.
Anyway, the position on the page will indicate that this is the 'Number on Sick List'

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »
I use the event/other tab.

Once you have typed in "Number on Sick list =  " once it comes up as the first option as soon as you hit n. The down and then the left key take you to the end of the sentence to enter the number. Very quick and you have the same wording on each, without risk of typos etc.

Hope this helps
K