Author Topic: Spring UK meet-up  (Read 3596 times)

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
Spring UK meet-up
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:07:01 am »
We're thinking of having a meet-up on a weekend between April 10 and May 15,
probably at the Maritime Museum or the Queen's House art gallery at Greenwich, London.
Feel free to suggest another venue, as long as it has a connection to our project in some way and
has good public transport links.

Please register an interest here if you would like to join us,
saying which date and venue you prefer. Either Saturday or Sunday is OK though most will probably prefer a Sunday.
Next weekend we'll draw up a shortlist of venues and dates and maybe have a vote.  :D

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Spring UK meet-up
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:30:06 am »
Oh, yes please!  Either venue is fine, the later the better, but as far as I know I am available any weekend but April 9/10.  Thanks for getting this started, Caro.  Let me know if you need help.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:48:08 pm »
Much as I would love to go to the Maritime Museum at Greenwich, the additional journey across London after the two hours on the train from Exeter would put me off.  Also it seems to be about a 10 minute walk from any of the nearest stations - I have mobility problems and am quite daunted by this prospect.

For any of us who want to come from outside London I think we'd probably like a quick Tube journey from whatever rail terminus we arrive at.  Unfortunately the Imperial War Museum also seems to be in the back of beyond - so can I put forward the Science Museum?

Having said all that I'm already pretty booked up for April and May - but if you choose an accessible venue, I will try and get out of whatever I'm supposed to be doing if I can.

I'd prefer Saturday because the trains are more frequent and less likely to be disrupted by engineering work.  I would also say the later the better.

Sorry to be difficult, but I'm a fully paid-up member of the Awkward Squad!

muchdistressed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 07:36:43 pm »
Oh, good.  I shall be around: either day is fine.  Thanks to Geoff for organising ...

mutabilitie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »
I'd be interested, although I'm not too sure whether I'd realistically be able to make it.

Caro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:03:06 am »
Thanks everyone. How about we limit the dates to the weekends of May 7/8 and May 14/15?
That should avoid Easter breaks for schools, universities etc.

Thursdaynext, the Imperial War Museum London is described as a 12 minute walk from Waterloo Station.
I believe you can get a 59 bus from Waterloo to the museum. It's worth considering.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »
The Imperial War Museum is definitely a shorter journey from Paddington - unfortunately the Transport for London website says the 59 bus route is subject to unpredictable delays due to road works until 19 May!  I can usually find some way of managing these things if I want to do it badly enough!

Geoff

• Shipherd
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:18:05 pm »
Looks like the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) will not be running between Island Gardens and Poplar/Westferry on the weekend of 7/8th May so no direct route to Greenwich on the DLR from Bank or Stratford.
The overground service from London Bridge to Greenwich will probably be running all right (still need to check).

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:53:08 pm »
Looks like the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) will not be running between Island Gardens and Poplar/Westferry on the weekend of 7/8th May so no direct route to Greenwich on the DLR from Bank or Stratford.
The overground service from London Bridge to Greenwich will probably be running all right (still need to check).

There's always the Thames Clipper service which goes to Greenwich Pier, including from not too far from Bank DLR station.  I couldn't find any information about service in May, though.

E.

Caro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 11:48:00 am »
I think we should go for May 14. What do you say?
The choice of venue can remain open until the coming weekend.  ;D

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »
I would like to cast a vote for 7 May!  Neither weekend is ideal for me - and the logistics may defeat me in the end anyway, depending on the choice of venue - but from my personal point of view the 7th would be easier than the 14th.

Caro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:34:00 am »
Hello readers.
I think we should make May 14 the date (I've spoken to thursdaynext about this).
The DLR will be running that weekend, for Greenwich, but the Circle Line will not,
and the District Line will closed from Embankment eastward. Underground works calendar.
So, is everyone still OK to battle to Greenwich or should we choose another venue?

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:12 am »
Hi Caro,  it occurred to me this morning that I should have asked before I got all excited -- am I still allowed to come even if I don't live in the UK?   :)  Thanks!

E.

Geoff

• Shipherd
  • The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 08:40:25 am »
Everyone's welcome to come to the meetup. Previous Galaxy Zoo meetups have included people from the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and Australia.

Here is a link for people who need somewhere to stay in Greenwich: http://www.visitgreenwich.org.uk/accommodation-in-greenwich

Caro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »
We have decided to postpone this meet-up until later in the year.
The timing has proved too difficult for most people so we will try again
later.
I have already informed all those who replied here by PM; if I missed anyone, my apologies.

If anyone is interested, the RAS picnic will be held at Greenwich on July 31.
A contingent from Galaxy Zoo will be attending; OWers welcome to join in.
Geoff will be able to supply more details closer to the time.