Author Topic: Divisions with Hammocks  (Read 2970 times)

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
Divisions with Hammocks
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:46 pm »
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM_53-53180/ADM%2053-53180-084_1.jpg

Some time ago now we had a discussion following an entry in a log that read Divisions in night clothing.

Now this log shows "Divisions with hammocks". There is something about this process that we dont understand yet.

Also note the entry immediately after.

"Prepared for War"!!!

K

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Divisions with Hammocks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:40:17 pm »
A truly historic day - the day before war was declared ...

Am slightly perturbed by the commander's signature as the name looks like Catherine ...  ???

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:56:41 pm »
Maybe their night clothing was in the wash... ;D

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:18:34 pm »

Am slightly perturbed by the commander's signature as the name looks like Catherine ...  ???

His name is Cathcart P Wasson. What a cracking name.

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:07:35 pm »
That is truly one of the best names ever!  ;D  - but I would have placed him in the Army, not the Navy.  General Cathcart P. Wasson seems to be more fit than Captain Gathcart P. Wasson.  :D

yours -

Kathy W.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:24:39 pm »

His name is Cathcart P Wasson. What a cracking name.

What a shame - I thought this might be one of those girls who disguised themselves as boys and enlisted in the army or navy to follow their true love, with varying results.  In this case I thought she'd decided to give up on the man in favour of a career in the navy and had thus far not been rumbled, until the fateful day when she forgot and signed her real name in the log book!

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:42:49 pm »
Wonderful theory Thursdaynext!! I love it. Sadly, even with a name like Cathcart P Wasson, the truth is much more prosaic.

K

mutabilitie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:59:35 pm »
Is there an entry on the next day which reads 'Cautioned Commander Wasson for creating a disturbance on August 3rd by turning out to be female'?;)

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:02:10 am »
Fortunately, there is no such log.

However, I can now reveal for the first time the subsequent history of this remarkable lady.

In the urgent preparation for war the whole incident was forgotten. Perhaps she looked less feminine painted grey.

She distinguished herself in the Mesopotamia campaign, so there was less opposition to her after that.

Also she made such fetching dresses out of the sails that were removed towards the end of 1914 that the heart of even the most ardent advocate of male dominance in the navy was softened.

The whole story has a happy ending. She was promoted following the Mesopotamia campaign but to avoid confusion with General Gathcart P Wasson from the army she changed her name to Imogen Singer and was promoted to Vice Admiral, serving on HMS Constance. (http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1229.msg14113#msg14113)

He he
K
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:24:02 am by Tegwen »

shippeb

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:35 am »
Hey!  I know Imogen!  But, one wonders... given her name changes and so on, maybe she should have served on HMS Inconstant?   ;D

Great history, K, I'm glad you managed to reconstruct this vital piece of the past.

E.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 10:00:05 am »
Fortunately she left no record regarding her bladder control.

I will of course write up a piece for Wikipedia. I am sure they will welcome it enthusiastically as they do all contributions.

K

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 12:52:58 pm »
Thank you so much for that wonder piece of scholarship...I can see you now, combing thru musty records in some back room somewhere; chasing down descendants, puzzling out ( :P ) incoherent handwriting and text...  it does indeed bring a tear to my eye!

yours -

Kathy W.