Author Topic: Worse things happen at sea  (Read 306327 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Worse things happen at sea
« Reply #2220 on: November 12, 2016, 11:16:05 pm »
Oh dear, oh dear - I'm scratching just at the thought of it! Clearly soap is not easily available on the Perry  :o

leelaht

• View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: December 03, 2016, 02:27:58 am »
murder on the high seas
from Thetis Oct 24, 1908 in Unalaska

Commanding Officer ascertained from the master of the whaling steamer "Bowhead" of New Bedford, that he had confined on board George Gardner, a foremast hand, under charge of having wilfully assaulted with a club Jose Cardosa, a boat stearer, on or about August 31, 1908, while the vessel was on the high seas, and inflicted injuries which subsequently caused the death of the said Cordosa.  He stated that he had taken the depositions of the witnesses and would surrender them and the prisoner to the proper authorities upon the arrival of the "Bowhead" at San Francisco.

leelaht

• View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 03, 2016, 02:45:10 am »
the next day...

At or about 10-50 am, Deputy US Marshal CC Harmon brought on board John R Griffith whom he had arrested as a deserter from the steam whaler "Bowhead," which vessel sailed from this port for San Francisco this day.  Upon being questioned by the Commanding Officer, Griffith stated that he left the "Bowhead" this forenoon just prior to her casting off from the wharf at Dutch Harbor; that he had previously given the master notice that he intended to leave, and that he passed the master on the wharf after having left.  He further stated that no attempt was made to restrain him or take him back to the vessel.  He also stated that he was a witness to the altercation between foremast hand George Gardner and Boat stearer Jose Pardos on or about August 31, 1908, in which it is alleged that the latter received injuries which subsequently caused his death, and that he had advised the master of the "Bowhead" that he would testify if favor of the accused if he was a witness at the trial.  Griffith stated that he was afraid to remain on the "Bowhead," as his life had been threatened by one of his shipmates, who told him that he would not live to reach San Francisco.  While he did not see the blow struck that it is claimed resulted in Cardosa's death he stated that he had seen an altercation between the two men a very short time previously, and that Cardosa was on top of Gardner and beating him about the head with his fists; that Cardosa was under the influence of liquor, and subsequently walked about the deck before going to his quarters.  In view of Griffith's statements, and considering the fact that he was allowed to leave the vessel without hinerance, it was decided to retain him on board and deliver him to the Federal authorities upon the return of the "Thetis" to the States, as it would appear that he was a material witness in the case, and that his presence would be necessary at the trial of Gardner in order that justice might be done.

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 08, 2016, 08:29:12 pm »
Forwarded this to Mark at the Archives. He's giving some admirals a walk-through this month and they like to hear about these kinds of historical events.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 08, 2016, 08:39:08 pm »
Very interesting leelaht. I missed this first time around. It's always exciting to get the details of this sort of thing.  :D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 25, 2016, 01:46:43 am »
8am to Merid
Moderate South gales to strong SSW to SWxS breezes; overcast and cloudy to partly
clear; drizzling rain first half; rough to moderate sea.  9:00 set lower topsail. Dr. J. A.
Watkins, U.S.P.H.S., fell on dech and became delirious from shock.  9:30 took in all
sails except mainsail and spanker and hove to on course SSE, in orde tor observe con-
dition of ship's surgeon better.  11:30, ship's surgeon having become better, set lower top-
sail and foresail, jib sail and fore topmast staysail, took in fore trysail and spanker,
and went ahead full speed on course E3/4N; so ends watch.

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: March 23, 2017, 08:48:05 pm »
Laconic entry from Edinburgh Castle 7 June 1918

http://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-40598/ADM%2053-40598-006_1.jpg

3.40pm: 50 cases sausages lowered in water by accident & recovered

I do hope the cases were waterproof - they were in Brooklyn docks

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: March 23, 2017, 09:08:28 pm »
Laconic entry from Edinburgh Castle 7 June 1918

http://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-40598/ADM%2053-40598-006_1.jpg

3.40pm: 50 cases sausages lowered in water by accident & recovered

Well I like my sausages with brown sauce - but the contents of Brookly's waterway probably isn't quite the brown sauce that I'm thinking of  :o

Bob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:23 pm »

In 1918, it might have been a question as to which was more dangerous to health, the meat or the water.  :o

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: March 23, 2017, 09:29:11 pm »
 :o :o :o