Author Topic: Contest - Most Beautiful Handwriting  (Read 11703 times)

CHommel

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Contest - Most Beautiful Handwriting
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 10:52:50 pm »
May I enter HMS Suva for the award.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-61876/ADM%2053-61876-005_0.jpg

If you want a ship that records everything in beautiful writing this seems to be the one. No idea how long this log keeper lasts. He probably wore the pen out in a few weeks and was sacked, but they are both literary and visual works of art 'til then.

K

And, nomination in the category to recognize "least use of ditto marks."  Impressive.

Jeff

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »
This isn't really most beautiful handwriting candidate, but I did the cover pages of Cairo's next logbook a few days ago. I agree, very interesting information, including that there is still an option to describe the type of paddlewheels carried!

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-72185/thumbs/ADM%2053-72185-001_thumb.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-72185/thumbs/ADM%2053-72185-004_thumb.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-72185/thumbs/ADM%2053-72185-005_thumb.jpg

Are these cover pages not in every log that we are doing? This is my first ship, so I didn't know they were unusual.

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 10:46:41 pm »
The covers are fairly common - the frequency depends in large part on the log keeper/ship.  Some keep the logs for 2 months in one book & some keep 1 month in 1 book -

Not all the keepers fill out the first few pages in detail -

Kathy W.

montanaisaleg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 06:33:06 pm »
Current logkeeper for Macedonia has handwriting that is both pleasant to look at and readable:

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM_53-47729/ADM%2053-47729-010_1.jpg
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM_53-47729/ADM%2053-47729-011_0.jpg

Travis

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 06:40:47 pm »
I love that flourish on the 'R' - very dramatic!

Helen J

montanaisaleg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 06:47:37 pm »
That flourish is a good part of the reason I decided to post these.  All of his capital letters are pretty fancy, though for some reason it took me a while to easily recognize his "H" as "H".  I kept thinking it was an "M" at first glance, and since his "ds" sorta looks like "ch", I kept reading "Mensch variously employed."  I'm sure the confused look on my face when I first (mis-)read that was priceless.

Travis

Jeff

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 07:37:05 am »
HMS Cairo paid off and went out of commission at Hong Kong on Dec. 26, 1921 then back into commission just three days later. We got a new log copyer, who has very nice handwriting: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-72184/ADM%2053-72184-006_0.jpg

Not that the last one was terrible, but he tended to scrawl m, n, u, i together, his 7's always looked like 4's, and I was still puzzling over his capital T, L, J, B, S, etc. to the end.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 09:43:02 pm »
Jeff, it isn't the ship that gets paid off, it's the crew.  This is common practice in the RN for all ships, done at the end of a voyage - usually 1 to 3 years.  It lets them keep crew from getting stale in the same place and chances to learn new things and new places.  And it is not at all unusual for the ship (and usually its weather logs) to be maintained by dock hands for a day or two so that the new and old crews don't meet to exchange news.  Also, at this point, all of your disciplinary warrants' numbering will start over at #1.

I've had 2 ships decommisssioned in my logs, and the logging for that was very different.  Yes, the crews got "paid off" but also the destroyer Otter was "decommissioned" after she had been stripped of all of her guns (sold for scrap, according to research) and the sloop Torch was "turned over to parts and maintenance" (the New Zealand navy kept her under a new name, Firebrand, as a training ship.)

Lancsgreybeard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 10:02:57 am »
While in Colombo sections of the crew are at camp in Diyatalawa and a new log keeper has appeared
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-72185/ADM%2053-72185-031_0.jpg
I think that the writing is most impressive and shows a great deal of self-confidence, not only that, he only details wind directions in sixteenths, none of that fiddly NEE complication that the previous log keeper indulged in together with his over confidence in the navigators ability to establish dead reckoning positions to the nearest second (").
Long may he continue.
Here endeth the first rant
lgb

Jeff

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 11:02:56 pm »
Janet- Do you know how the RN of this time (post-WWI) would handle the logistics of changing an entire crew in a far-flung port such as Hong Kong? It seems to me that in all the fiction and non-fiction accounts I have read of the earlier (sailing ship) RN the crew was on the ship for the entire voyage - until it arrived back in England - no matter how long. Of course nowadays they would just fly a new crew out. I suppose 100 years ago they would go on a military transport ship?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 02:01:49 am »
First of all, I'm an American landlubber so I'll be confining myself to information gained from OW. :)

When I had ships with original logs, not the monthly fair copies, the intro pages of one or more of the books laid out the dates of the voyage.  (This was so long ago, I don't want to wade through all my pages to find examples.)  Going by the handwriting and signatures, The dates had been predetermined at the start of the voyage, and then that very first page of the voyage was signed for by the commanding officer at the end of the voyage.  The number of months in the voyage varied, but they always began and ended on the same date. 

Example, sloop Torch had a 13 month voyage that began and ended on the 23rd of the month in Sydney.  They finished in a New Zealand port at the very start of WWI in 1914, and their crews transferred to other, more modern warships.  When it happened again in Malta to destroyer Torch,  that voyage had been about 18 months.  All of her crew were paid off and sent to HMS Egmont (Malta's base ship), captain and officers included.  I'm assuming they either were distributed among the other ships of the Mediterranean fleet or given free passage home to England.  Somebody kept taking weather readings for the next day or two, I assume yard hands.  Then a whole new crew and officers and captain came aboard, and off they went all over the Mediterranean and Black Seas.

Clearly in both cases, end of voyage did not mean going back home to England, but still had been very neatly planned.  It's not as if the RN can't find lots of transportation. ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:06 pm »
It may be interesting, how American handwriting competes in this category.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:01:43 am by Janet Jaguar »

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 07:26:55 am »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 08:00:01 am »
WOW!
Magnificent!

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 12:51:52 pm »
Someone snuk an 'Olde English' calligrapher on a US ship! ::)

Fabulous cover! Did he keep it up for the whole log??!! :)