Author Topic: Who's clearing the hawser?  (Read 1470 times)

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
Who's clearing the hawser?
« on: May 08, 2011, 06:57:19 pm »
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-67607/ADM%2053-67607-103_0.jpg

A busy day for the Vindictive as she is refloated after running aground (unfortunately I didn't get the pages where this happened - she was well and truly stuck by the time I came on the scene).  The operation did not go entirely smoothly as the starboard propeller was fouled by the stern anchor hawser.

At 2.47pm someone (or something?) clears the hawser from the propellor.  The word looks like "testcor" to me - but Googling that hasn't brought anything sensible to light?  Any ideas what it really says?

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
Re: Who's clearing the hawser?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:12:55 pm »
Any ideas what it really says?

Me, me, me! I have.

4.45 pm is the clue. It's "Meteor" to the rescue.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:03:09 pm »
Obviously I've correctly transcribed "Meteor" elsewhere on the page - and I can just about make that word into "Meteor" if I really stare at it very hard.

Now here comes the stupid question: How does one ship clear another ship's propellor?  Seeing as how ships don't have opposable thumbs and are generally inanimate objects.  ???

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:08:06 pm »

I love the concept of ships with opposable thumbs.

I guess that simply pulling on the hawser may clear it if it hasnt got too wrapped up, ie if the propeller wasnt running when the hawser fouled it, so it just got caught behind.

HTH
K

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:24:43 pm »
How does one ship clear another ship's propellor?

It was commonplace to refer to a captain by his ship's name, so it must have been the captain of "Meteor", himself, who rolled up his sleeves and used his Boy Scout (or Sea Scout) propensity for undoing knots.