Author Topic: Old Weather In The News  (Read 135663 times)

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
Re: Old Weather In The News
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 09:55:07 am »
Every so often I google "oldweather.org" to see what sort of interest there is. As of today 2940 results and 27 pages of URL's. I haven't kept a record of growth, but it might be worth keeping an eye on progress.

Gordon

badskittler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 05:57:24 pm »
Friday 22nd October 2010 all at sea

17:12  Check O.W.org forum posts
17:15  Dampen fires in H.P.P.C.
17:20  Weigh anchor and join convey for home
17:24  Monitor radio for orders
17:25  R4 broadcast volunteers needed for O.W.org

Can't get away from it.

Badskittler

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
From Rob Allan of the OW Team:

All,
      The BBC Radio 4 PM piece on OldWeather was aired around 5.15pm this evening.  Hopefully, we'll get some more media momentum as a result.

Cheers,  Rob.

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 02:13:19 am »

I listened to it a few hours ago.  Wonderful stuff.  They did a great job putting it together.  Man, I love the Beeb.  Radio died a horrible death here in the States in the early 60s, but radio's still relevant on your side of the pond.  I envy that.  You've got the Afternoon play, we've got... reality shows on TV.  Okay, we have NPR, but it's not the same thing. 

CharlesNorrieTemp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 05:42:17 am »
You should of course be able to get it streamed from the BBC website.  Bits of the BBC still make programmes.  For the ongoing "talk radio", but they'd prefer it if you called it "speech radio", there's R4 spouting out from a "steam radio" in the corner. And for those who like a diet of old comedy and drama the BBC did a deal with the actors in old shows and you can get the likes of the "Nay Lark", a couple of times a week.  A project might be to put up a couple of log pages in the style of the events in good old HMS Troutbridge.

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 07:55:50 am »
Charles, I like that idea of a spook HMS Troutbridge. I've put your idea to a couple of the Old Weather team.
Gordon

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 08:08:50 am »
ooops - spoof

CharlesNorrieTemp

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 08:26:39 am »
It was meant of course to be spoof, but now you come to mention it spook is just as funny.  Do you remember there was a character in the Show who used to answer the phone with "intelligence, here" in a voice that he had little of the grey matter in actuality. 

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 08:39:58 am »
The Old Weather report on BBC Radio 4's PM programme is available here until 18.02 on Friday, October 29.
It starts at about 0:24.28.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vcr2k/PM_22_10_2010/

CharlesNorrieTemp

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 09:49:57 am »
I know about navalhistory gripes about email address and the like, but I don't find them quite as available as buildings in the US used to be (pre 9/11). Then they just let you walk all over.  As an architecture buff it was great fun.

If you need to contact the BBC, try firstname.secondnmae@bbc.co.uk, or programmename@bbc.co.uk

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 10:00:22 am »
Charles,

That's very useful. Any hints for national newspapers?

Gordon

CharlesNorrieTemp

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 10:36:05 am »

andysweeney

• It just appeals to the OCD in me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 11:42:06 am »
Newspapers lap this kind of stuff up. You should try The Wharf (local newspaper for the Isle of Dogs which has an old naval history. Also the Evening Standard in London.

Veero

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 11:53:53 am »
Just to tell Old Weather that I didn't know of your existence until the BBC Radio 4 interview a couple of days ago - just caught it in passing too!  I've been enjoying doing transcriptions since.  It's fascinating. 

CharlesNorrieTemp

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 09:43:25 am »
I think Andysweeney's idea is a very good one.  All we've got to do is write a nice little piece, tidy and accurate and they'll lap in up. 

History is big in the UK, and programmes like Time Team attract incredible audiences for excavation what are no more than dirty old pits.

Marc Girouard, an Anglo-French historian and writer on books about English domestic architecture and life used almost to complain that somebody had been down to the CRO (county record office) and already copied out all the stuff he wanted from muster rolls, receipts for beer and church registers.  All done by amateurs and for free.  Something he said that could not be done in France, where the worker would have to be a paid professional.

It was that great army of amateur historians who beaver away (now in front of their computers), collecting, digitising, analysing, theorizing and writing on historial topics.

If the government and business of the country were run with a quarter of the efficiency displayed by projects such as Old Weather, there'd be no unemployment and no national deficit.