Author Topic: Visualising 100 ships  (Read 7617 times)

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
Re: Visualising 100 ships
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 03:57:18 pm »
thursdaynext: For Macedonia, I hadn't given this much thought, since it's the only ship I've done much work on (I've done a few logs on other ships, but nowhere close to the thousands I've done on Macedonia).  For the vast majority of her log pages, the N/S and E/W for noon position is written at the top of the noon position box, next to the words "Latitude" and "Longitude", e.g. here:
   http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM_53-47718/ADM%2053-47718-014_1.jpg
which I have transcribed as 34.59S and 56 13.5W.

Since I haven't looked at many ships other than Macedonia, I figured this was a standard way of doing it, but looking back at some of the logs I've transcribed for other ships, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yep the positioning of "S" & "W" are perfect, as is "56 13.5W" but I'm not so sure about the decimal point in "34.59S". Until the voice of authority speaks here, you may wish to consult:
http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1057.0 - Location

montanaisaleg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 04:22:40 pm »
Oh dear..  I misread something somewhere when I started doing all this and have apparently been transcribing locations incorrectly (at least, according what the "Latitude and Longitude" entry here seems to be saying: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1173.msg11459#msg11459).  Before I go any farther, what would be the recommendation of some of the knowledgeable people around here?  Keep going as I have been, in the name of consistency?  Switch to doing it right and trust that the powers that be will figure out my mistake?  Tell the powers that be that I've apparently been doing it wrong up through this morning, but will change my methods from now on?

FWIW, I did read the instructions before I started transcribing.  I just read them wrong. :/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:00:32 pm by montanaisaleg »

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 04:56:16 pm »
montanaisaleg,
As David Cameron would  say "Calm down, Dear". ;) 
Don't forget that each of us is only one third of the solution (or problem).
The instructions for transcribing "Location" have been through a couple of iterations, so you may have missed the updates. If it comes to a Court Marshal, I'm available to be your "Friend". Now you really have something to worry about.  ;D
I'm sure that there will have been quite a variety of styles used before the advice reached its current stage of perfection. I suggest leaving the past entries alone, pending a decision from on high.
But ... would you care to consider modifying your posting to delete the second word? I have got a rocket for a not entirely dissimilar entry. :-[

Bunts

montanaisaleg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »
montanaisaleg,
As David Cameron would  say "Calm down, Dear". ;) 
Don't forget that each of us is only one third of the solution (or problem).
The instructions for transcribing "Location" have been through a couple of iterations, so you may have missed the updates. If it comes to a Court Marshal, I'm available to be your "Friend". Now you really have something to worry about.  ;D
I'm sure that there will have been quite a variety of styles used before the advice reached its current stage of perfection. I suggest leaving the past entries alone, pending a decision from on high.
But ... would you care to consider modifying your posting to delete the second word? I have got a rocket for a not entirely dissimilar entry. :-[

Bunts

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's made this mistake, and I definitely don't plan to re-do all of them, but since it affects so many log pages and I am 99% sure I did them wrong, if the Proper Authorities have a way of dealing with such known issues, I figure I should go through the proper chain of command (such as it is).

When the Court Martialling begins, I'll be sure to quote you at length in my own defense. :)

Travis
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:22:41 pm by montanaisaleg »

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 05:16:11 pm »
Travis,

I'm not so sure that "wrong" applies, but in any case it's good to air the matter.

When the Court Marshalling begins, I'll be sure to quote you at length in my own defense.

Good Luck with that. I'm sure that nothing can be so bad that mentioning my name won't make it worse.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 06:05:55 pm »
The Powers-That-Be would strongly appreciate it if you would correct all future entries.

The PTB admit that the instructions are somewhat complicated, because none of us own a TARDIS that would let us go back and instruct all of our log-keepers on what we need from them in the 21st century to keep our transcriptions simple.  And the PTB admit that the instructions have morphed over time as we discovered just what we are really transcribing.  So we are not currently planning on any courts martial over our transcribers' learning curves.

;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:27:18 pm by Janet Jaguar »

montanaisaleg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 06:11:30 pm »
Duly noted, and I've already started doing it the right way.

I'm also re-reading the basic instructions for everything, since this sort of mistake bugs more than it probably should and I'd like to avoid similar ones in the future.  If the PTB find it in their interest to strike me down with lightning for my transgressions, I'll be sure to note a big "L" in the weather column.

Travis

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 06:14:08 pm »
Phew!
And I got away, without censure, for mis-spelling "Martial"  :-[ so I shan't raise the matter of Courts Martial.
I think that's fair.

Nice one, Travis.

montanaisaleg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »
Blargh..  I blame you, Bunting, for also tricking me into mis-spelling "Martial."

Though maybe the correct term I was looking for was "Courting Martial."  Hmm.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 06:27:49 pm »
And my "courts martial" corrected.  :D

cyzaki

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »
I think Courts Marital are something entirely different.

tastiger

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 12:49:50 am »
Oh dear..  I misread something somewhere when I started doing all this and have apparently been transcribing locations incorrectly (at least, according what the "Latitude and Longitude" entry here seems to be saying: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1173.msg11459#msg11459).  Before I go any farther, what would be the recommendation of some of the knowledgeable people around here?  Keep going as I have been, in the name of consistency?  Switch to doing it right and trust that the powers that be will figure out my mistake?  Tell the powers that be that I've apparently been doing it wrong up through this morning, but will change my methods from now on?

FWIW, I did read the instructions before I started transcribing.  I just read them wrong. :/
Don't worry, on my first, like 50 pages I did the same thing, but I went back and fixed them. Doesn't look like it affects the position TOO much. How many pages have you done?

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 07:59:33 am »
The science team are OK with this, tastiger. It's not a big problem for them.  :)

philip.brohan

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:23 pm »
I never really felt that pressure was the best way of labelling the ships in such a visualisation, so I've had another go - with indifferent success.

Remember weather forecasts back in the 70s, when forecasters stuck little icons representing sunshine, clouds, rain, thunder etc. on a map to show the weather changes? Well, we can do that with the logbook observations, using the weather codes to specify the icon to be used. But it turned out less successful than I'd hoped - it's hard to get the icons clearly visible.

So I'm filing this under 'failed experiments' but I thought I might as well put the video online anyway - it's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2I3FVr9ID8 if anyone wants a look. Maybe we'll revisit it later with some more artistic finesse.

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 02:46:27 pm »
Oh please, like we are not all going to run to look at that video.  I think at this point, you could post a video of a ship lying at anchor and get, I don't know, maybe 30-40 hits in as many minutes.  ;D

I do have a question for the PTB - will all the various things showing completed ships be updated soon?  I for one would love to be able to watch the Foxglove  ;D on Old Weather Voyages.

Kathy W.