Author Topic: HMS "Sapper"  (Read 1584 times)

jennymc50

• View Profile
HMS "Sapper"
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:59:10 pm »
I last transcribed pages for HMS "Sapphire" about a month ago.  I logged back in today and the page that came up was for HMS "Sapper", dated Friday, 9th March, 1917 and located in Portsmouth. At first I thought a new person (with beautiful handwriting) had taken over filling in the logs and wasn't sure how to spell Sapphire.  However, when I referrred back to my previously transcribed logs, HMS "Sapphire" was on her way from Colombo to Bombay on 10th March, 1917, so couldn't possibly have been in Portsmouth the previous day.

How can I get back to 'my own' ship?

jennymc50

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
Re: HMS "Sapper"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:15:55 pm »
Jenny,

It might be a bit of a pain to track back to post the jpg ref. for your last Sapphire page, but should be possible if you go through my pages and pick up Sapphire, and the first one for Sapper.
There have been other instances of this, at least one of which returned the transcriber to the ship of her choice after ploughing through the other log book.
Doubtless one of out lovely moderators will be along presently to direct the faulty reference to the appropriate quarter.
Chin up.  ;)

Bunts

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:18:49 pm »
You rang? :)  Hi Jenny.
I tried the Sapphire logs myself and got the page that you describe.
I will ask the technical department for help.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:26:07 pm »
Dear Madam Caro (Psychic to the very wealthy) and Jenny,

It's the same ships as last time:
This is definitely a problem, so the post is in a right place - thank you for telling us of it.

Bunts is right, Sapper is not on our list - but that log-keeper has beautiful handwriting!  I'm jealous, none of my log-keepers have had anything that clear and pretty. :)  Please keep recording exactly what they write, and reporting the discrepencies - that is very helpful.

One of two things happened:  either the team's scanners picked up a wrong log to scan with Sapphire's logs, or you have a log-keeper or copier who just transferred in to Sapphire's crew from serving on Sapper and forgot where he really was now when he wrote that.  In both cases, the weather data is perfectly clear and usable, so keep transcribing away.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but this log, at least, is for HMS Sapper:-

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-59125/ADM%2053-59125-012_0.jpg

Should I submit with no details and continue with HMS Sapphire?

That's why it seemed familiar.
 ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:49:14 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:30:58 pm »
Aha. Good work Bunts.  ;D

Jenny, please continue with the log pages and let us know what happens.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:38:29 pm by Caro »

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:39:24 pm »
Confession Time.
It was actually this mix-up that I was thinking of.
A poor memory can have benefits though.
Apologies to dirkbb who is not the "her" of whom I was thinking.

Hello,

I just noticed, after doing about 14 pages, that the log pages from HMS Astraea are now named HMS Atalanta instead.
I'm not sure if it has to do with anything, but after I'd finished 31 December 1918 of Astraea's log it jumped to 10 August 1915 of HMS Atalanta.
An example can be found here:  http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM53-34372/ADM53-34372-003_1.jpg

Should I just continue transcribing?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:51:27 pm by Janet Jaguar »