Author Topic: Fog buoy  (Read 2436 times)

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
Fog buoy
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:04:18 pm »
HMS Naneric 3 July 1918 Convoy Mid-Atlantic

"6.0 dropped fog buoy"

(Poetry to the rescue)

"A fog-buoy was a marker float, towed on the end of a fine wire or rope, from the stern of each ship (except the last) of a line in close company, in fog. In line ahead (each ship following in the wake of another) the standard distance apart was 2 1/2 cables, or 500 yards. If the visibility was less than that distance, then the ship ahead streamed (= let out) a fog-buoy to a distance of 500 yards, and the ship astern kept the buoy abreast its bridge. Thus you knew that you were the right distance astern of your next ahead. The buoy consisted of a cross of wood, about 4 feet long, and 3 feet wide, in the form of a crucifix, towed, as it were, from the short, head, end. The cross arms were to prevent it from turning over, while at the foot end was a scoop, made of galvanized sheet iron/steel, which threw up a plume of water, readily visible. But the fog-buoy would not "guide you through the haggard night" in fog - you really would be unlikely to see it even if it was alongside you, no more than 25 yards away: darkness plus fog means adopting some other formation. But "squattering" exactly describes the buoy's motion, jerking, jinking, tunnelling through the waves."
http://www.kipling.org.uk/naval2.htm

The poem is here: http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_wetlitany.htm

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Fog buoy
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:27:07 pm »
Thank you - that is a beautiful way of describing that life.

CHommel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 06:27:42 pm »
Beautiful poem.  Maybe the forum needs a dedicated poetry string?

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:04:14 pm »
Beautiful poem.  Maybe the forum needs a dedicated poetry string?

Kathy modestly (and in my opinion inaccurately) described her work as doggerel. I feel that "Informal and Irregular" could be appropriate. Anyway, she has opened a gallery. I don't know whether it is open to submissions from "outsiders"; especially the Dead Poets Society

http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1616.0

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:07:07 pm »
I personally believe that thread should only be limited by subject - and that broadly.  Good poetry should always be welcome, especially by those of us who will never have the ablity to write it. :)

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:07:11 am »
As I said in the first post in that thread, I hope others will feel free to add to it - I personally would love to see original stuff, but any work the poster thinks we will enjoy would be welcome -

Kathy