Author Topic: HMS Christopher  (Read 7615 times)

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Christopher
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 07:43:32 pm »
And sadly, many others were not picked up after taking to their boats.

Gordon

Haywain

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:16 pm »
We are going to have a healthy crew - 25 May 18 "Surg: Prob: G W Murray" joined ship.  I assume that means Surgeon Probationer.

They have been having trouble with their hydrophones - quite a few references to making good defects and lots of trials in the Portland area.

Regards

Haywain

navalhistory

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 05:15:11 pm »
Haywain,

The US Navy was only ever a junior partner to the RN in WW1, but came to play an important role in Atlantic Convoys, patrolling off W France, trying to seal the Adriatic (Straits of Otranto) in 1918. It has never been recognised.

A good read with photos, can be found at http://www.naval-history.net/WW1Book-USOnTheCoast.htm - off the coast of France. USN casualties at http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyUS-Casualties.htm. Battle casualties were not great, but those from the Flu Epidemic were.

That's a point. When it comes to deaths from illness in 1918/1919, a lot of these were due to the epidemic.

Gordon

Haywain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 12:40:17 am »
Nearly lost HMS Christopher on 24 Nov 1917. 

There was an ammunition incident and fire, whilst alongside.  One person injured, a Mr Croucher, discharged to hospital, rank and nature of injuries not provided.

Haywain

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 09:24:04 am »
Board of Inquiry held ashore on 26 Nov 17 - wonder if we'll see the outcome

Haywain

• View Profile
Re: HMS Christopher - Finishes WW1 in Dundee
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 03:21:17 pm »
Well despite her tag saying "Atlantic Convoys" HMS Christopher finishes WW1 anchored off Dundee.  Due to time skips, I'm not sure how long she ha been around the west coast of Scotland, but at least a few weeks.

Very bland "Hostilities ceased" at 9.00 am on 11 Nov 18.  However they did grant 48 hrs leave to a watch 90 mins later.

Haywain

• View Profile
Re: HMS Christopher - Someone's been naughty!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 06:44:06 pm »
31 Jan 18 - Warrant No 75 read, one prisoner discharged to HMS Prince George.  They were berthed in Portsmouth

Haywain

• View Profile
Re: HMS Christopher - Stability Trials
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 06:22:03 pm »
13 Feb 18 at 1.00 pm "Hands left ship for stability trials" then at 4.15 pm "Hands returned onboard"

At the time the ship was in No1 basin at Portsmouth and although no detail was given, had been undergoing dockyard work for some time.  I assume they were checking that the work hadn't affected how far she could roll without capsizing. 

Haywain

• View Profile
Re: HMS Christopher - Spanish Flu
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 12:14:45 pm »
Elsewhere, I have reported Spanish Flu striking HMS Christopher in June 1918.  They return to Plymouth on 17 Jun 18 and over 40% of the crew are discharged sick to HMS Apollo.  Over the next few days, they disinfect the ship, receive visits from the Fleet Surgeon and receive temporary crew replacements.

They also develop a sudden interest in route marches.

Moving on a week later and all their blankets are sent for disinfecting and the original ships company starts trickling back.   

I'm really looking forward to when the logs are finished and available, being able to follow these events in full chronological order as I have been backwards and forwards quite a lot, doing a few pages here and there.

Haywain

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 10:45:57 pm »
Quite interesting, after doing some time travel skipping backwards and forwards, filling in pages not previously presented I have arrived back at Dec 18, heading south down the East Coast.

Where before the entry would have been "following swept channel", the logger is now using "following War Channel".  I'd love to know if this is a quirk of the logger or he's doing it deliberately to emphasise the war is now over.

cendicott

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 08:49:44 pm »
I can also say that handwriting and records sig. improved on sep 1, 1917, thankfully.

In August 1917 I noticed a location name that looked like "St. Mary's Roads".  Any clue as to where that may be?  St. and Roads was pretty clear, while Mary's could have been something else.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 09:12:57 pm »
cendicott,
Could you post a picture here?  Fuzzy Gazeteer can't find anythng at all from just the name.

cendicott

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 09:58:15 pm »
cendicott,
Could you post a picture here?  Fuzzy Gazeteer can't find anythng at all from just the name.

This is the page:
http://www.oldweather.org/classify/edit/4d11038c0f0dc35ea300014f

One of the days was 26 Aug 1917.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:32 pm »
That is definitely "St. Mary's Roads" so write it.  The closest I can come in Google maps is http://maps.google.com/maps?f=s&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-syn-gm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=maps

It's an urban area near a harbor, which is better than nothing.

Haywain

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:48 pm »
From what I recall, St Marys Roads is an anchorage just off the Scilly Isles