Author Topic: Copyright Issues  (Read 3015 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Copyright Issues
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:59:56 pm »
The subject of copyright issues must be divided into three parts.

• All of the digitized data we have produced from any record, beginning with Phase 1 of the project, is in the public domain.
    Does the fact the logs are copyrighted by the crown mean that our work product will also be copyrighted by the crown?  Will access to our work product be free and unfettered for whomsoever wants to access it?  Will I be able to use this data for my own scholarly purposes? 

I love this project, but I like to think I'm contributing to the sum of human knowledge and that this contribution is freely available.

The results of the project will not be Crown copyright. They will be available for anyone who wants to access them. You will be able to use the data for your own scholarly purposes.

Philip

• The US ships' logs that appear in Phase 3 are government records that are, by law, copyright-free - both the images and the digitized data. When we are done, everything will be made available to the public online by NARA, the US National Archive and Records Administration.
    from http://www.usa.gov/copyright.shtml
    A United States government work is prepared by an officer or employee of the United States government as part of that person's official duties.  It is not subject to copyright in the United States and there are no copyright restrictions on reproduction, derivative works, distribution, performance, or display of the work. ...
      Exceptions: ...
      You cannot use U.S. government trademarks or the logos of U.S. government agencies without permission. For example, you cannot use an agency logo or trademark on your social media page.

• All of the images of the Royal Navy logs that appeared in Phases 1 and 2 are subject to Crown Copyright.
    Please don't copy the logbook images to Wikipedia or any other site. 

The logbooks are British Crown Copyright and are owned by the National Archives (TNA). TNA have always been helpful and supportive in our use of the logbooks - please help us maintain this productive relationship, and respect their copyright.
    Philip's email reply to a moderator question:
    A thorny problem is the question of links to log pages. We can't put the log images up on any other site, and I'd rather not create a lot of direct links in to jpegs on oldweather.org pages - they are not permenant links and The National Archives won't be happy. But fortunately this isn't necessary - it should be sufficient to link to a text reference of the form 'Log of HMS Torch from May 22nd 1914; National Archives reference ADM 53 63330 Page 20' Which will allow any sufficiently diligent researcher to find the exact page. (You can get the TNA catalogue number from the page URL:
       http ://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM53-63330/ADM53-63330-020_1.jpg).

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:46:05 am by Caro »