Author Topic: No idea what's happening here ....  (Read 3058 times)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: No idea what's happening here ....
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 05:22:14 pm »
No, no lit cigarettes - and it was wet enough that I think even a giant cigar wouldn't have had any effect.  We were staying overlooking the Hudson, a couple of hours north of New York.
Business of course, with the odd moment of pleasure - including a joint Franciscan and Benedictine conga ....
Had a brief encounter with the edge of Leigh (the hurricane after Irene) - a very dramatic night of thunder and lightning and torrential rain, culminating in some of it beginning to drip through my ceiling at 5am.  Trying to find a bucket in a strange place at that time was challenging.  A holy sign saying 'Count your blessings' nearly got hurled down the stairs ...   ;D

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 05:38:29 pm »
No, no lit cigarettes - and it was wet enough that I think even a giant cigar wouldn't have had any effect.  We were staying overlooking the Hudson, a couple of hours north of New York.
Business of course, with the odd moment of pleasure - including a joint Franciscan and Benedictine conga ....
Had a brief encounter with the edge of Leigh (the hurricane after Irene) - a very dramatic night of thunder and lightning and torrential rain, culminating in some of it beginning to drip through my ceiling at 5am.  Trying to find a bucket in a strange place at that time was challenging.  A holy sign saying 'Count your blessings' nearly got hurled down the stairs ...   ;D

Sounds good: Franciscans providing the joints and Benedictines the booze.
"Count your blessings" moment: it was only the rain getting in, it could have been the lightning. That would have spared your search for the bucket.
That saying: "the devil looks after his own" needs revising.  ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 05:55:32 pm »
Rain from above is miserable but survivable.  Sounds like you were on high ground and not being flooded, which is good for both you and convent.  I'm glad you saw some of the US, and sorry you did it when that area was so unforgivably wet.  My nephew just moved to New York state, just in time to experience the earthquake-hurricane-tropical storm sequence, and says it made him homesick for Minnesota blizzards.

Welcome back! :)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 06:36:51 pm »
Yes, the monastery (these were Benedictine monks) is on high ground, though their crypt had flooded twice not long before we got there.  As their founder is buried there, they reckoned he was not so much rotating in his tomb, as floating ...

It was good to see another bit of the USA, even with the 'interesting' range of weather.

And Bunts - the conga was done entirely sober and drug free - just high spirits.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 06:54:35 pm »
Sorry. I appear to have misinterpreted the word "joint". Family trait.
During WWII a telegramme arrived for my mother. Fearing the worst her mother opened it and read.
"Well, hope you are sorry. Not coming home. Love C."
She then admonished my mother about arguing with her husband due for overseas.
My mother then read the telegramme to her mother:
"Well. Hope you are. Sorry not coming home. Love C."