Author Topic: Access to the data?  (Read 2187 times)

devmag

• View Profile
Access to the data?
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:40:10 pm »
Dear team,

I am really amazed how crowdsourcing can be leveraged and how little contributions by the masses can lead to amazing results like this. However, what I was wondering is whether you actually plan to release the data to the crowd as well, once it is finalized?

A lot of people have contributed and maybe they want to use the data as well, e.g. to study historical naval routes. I think there is a lot of potential there for other types of research,

thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Access to the data?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:28:59 am »
Welcome to the Forum, devmag!

I'll pass your question on to the team, but I seriously doubt that anyone will consider discarding over a million triply-confirmed readings!  I do know that the US NOAA is part of an enormous world-wide database, as is the UK.  See:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/stationdata/
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/ghcn-daily/

Also, Philip has written blogs for us, and this one talks directly of permanent databases that our numbers will be put in.
http://blogs.zooniverse.org/oldweather/2011/07/new-zealand-gets-its-moneys-worth/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:18:18 am by Janet Jaguar »

philip.brohan

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:10:31 am »
We need not only to make our results available to everyone, but also to make sure they stay available for the next hundred years. So we are sending our new records to the International Comprehensive Ocean-Atmosphere Dataset which, as it says on the tin, is the international repository for our sort of records. ICOADS is freely available to any user, and actively managed to make sure nothing gets lost over the years.

We're also experimenting with other ways of sharing the data - a large batch is already available in Google Earth, for example, and there will be more of this.

devmag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:04:02 pm »
Dear Janet, dear Philip,

thanks a lot for your replies.

Janet, thanks a lot for these links. They are indeed very interesting, in particular I am looking forward to the development of this permanent database. I dont think that this is too difficult, as the the whole data must already be sitting in a database. So I am quite excited about this.

I am particularly interested in data fields that are recorded in the "other events" field. This is quite remarkable data and information that can tell us a lot about naval history in a whole other dimension. I know that it is left to the users discretion to report the entries in this field, but I believe that still a lot can be learned.

Do you think this will be made available?

I am really impressed by all this, there is so much historical data out that that we yet have to get a grasp of.

Best regards
devmag

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:25:11 pm »
Hi devmag -

one thing to remember - we have access to the logs for every completed ship, whether we worked on them or not.  That will enable one to follow up on something that seems intriguing, but not completely noted in the database.  ;D

Kathy W.