Author Topic: Yet another ship's name  (Read 18168 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another ship's name
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2012, 12:45:37 pm »
Thanks Caro!

Steeleye

• Editor
  • Don't adjust your mind; there's a fault in reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:39 am »
Any suggestions for the dredger that came alongside HMS Glory at about 1100 in this log.  It looks like 'Carrighour', but I can find no reference to a vessel of that name.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-43039/ADM%2053-43039-113_1.jpg

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2012, 04:30:56 am »
I'd go with it, as the handwriting is quite clear.  I looked some for any list of dredgers of any kind, and there simply isn't one easily googled.

CHommel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2012, 08:51:00 pm »
I love 'guess enthusiastically' - makes it seem like fun!   ;D

And we are most certainly enthusiastic...   :D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2012, 10:53:42 am »
On the basis of some of the handwriting (and not my mental functioning), the phrase 'guess dementedly' comes to mind ;)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:22 am »
On the basis of some of the handwriting (and not my mental functioning), the phrase 'guess dementedly' comes to mind ;)

:D :D :D

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »

Too true!  ;D

Jeff

• Editor
    • View Profile
location of Grafton again, please
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2012, 12:47:19 am »
Grafton has jumped to what looks like Mellis and Alibi Bay since my last transcription in Nov. 1915. Now Jan. 1916. Are those right? Any ideas where these are?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-43385/ADM%2053-43385-116_1.jpg

Danny252

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2012, 01:01:04 am »
I think it's Aliki Bay (North coast of Crete) and "C Melles" or something - the first two remarks are "As reqte off C Melles", referring to courses/speeds. It's out in the Aegean whatever the case is - she's heading for Kephalo Bay on the 8th Jan, which is a fairly big RN base out there.

Edit: Completely ignoring the "C", could it be Milos/Melos? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milos

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2012, 02:41:24 am »
I think it's Aliki Bay (North coast of Crete) and "C Melles" or something - the first two remarks are "As reqte off C Melles", referring to courses/speeds. It's out in the Aegean whatever the case is - she's heading for Kephalo Bay on the 8th Jan, which is a fairly big RN base out there.

Edit: Completely ignoring the "C", could it be Milos/Melos? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milos
Aliki, certainly.
He is fairly consistent at dotting his "i". I believe it is Cape Helles, see "Hands" at 1.0pm

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2012, 03:00:23 am »
I agree on Aliki - I remember it!  I just can't remember where and why. ::)

But I really believe the other is 'Mellis' meaning Cape Mellis.  'Hand' has a single stroke at the start, 'Mellis' starts with a 2 stroke peak. But like Aliki, it no longer exists on modern maps.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:02:03 am by Janet Jaguar »

Jeff

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2012, 07:16:19 am »
I realized it's Cape Helles after doing a few more pages and reading the Wikipedia entry for the Gallipoli Campaign. It has a map that shows Cape Hellas as the very tip of the peninsula, and mentions it in the text. Now I wonder why Grafton is still firing on positions ashore after the troops should have been withdrawn, according to the same article.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2012, 11:21:28 am »
The Allied troops had been withdrawn, but the Turks are still there - I imagine the Grafton is trying to inflict damage on their positions from the comparative safety of the sea.

lakelander

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2012, 01:39:49 pm »

There is a copy of the Naval Review at http://www.naval-review.org/issues/1916-2.pdf (it is 15Mb) which details a first hand account from a gunnery officer on HMS Prince George who was in charge of a trawler minesweeping.

One of the first tasks of the naval campaign was to silence the batteries in the forts along the coast, and the area around Cape Hellas was made safe and clear of mines
"While the Army was assembling we were employed off Cape Helles in sweeping the whole area, which was afterwards occupied. by the
transports..."

Unfortunately, there is no mention of a bay which would give a clue to the other illegible location. The only point I would make is it is doubtful that it is Aliki Bay (north coast of Crete) as that is too far away to make the journey in what appears to be a matter of hours.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2012, 03:00:18 pm »
It's a different Aliki -see http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=2317.15

We've had so much trouble with the log-keeper's writing and the place names that the Grafton has its own help centre on the forum!