Author Topic: "temperature sounding machine"  (Read 4623 times)

DWBinNH

• View Profile
"temperature sounding machine"
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:44:56 am »
The Bluebell, sailing near Hong Kong in 1923, had the hands rigging the "temperature sounding machine". I assume this is a device to measure temperature at different depths as part of data gathering, but I can't find out any more.

I just love the sound of the title. Very steampunkish.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: "temperature sounding machine"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:58:20 am »
It sounds like temperature is a liquid of its own which can be sounded.  Very fantastical. ;D

DWBinNH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:51:39 pm »
Later, near Singapore, there are entries about "Stopped. Sea water temperatures taken a various depths" several times a day.

DJ_59

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 04:04:49 am »

You know, I was really thinking it wasn't going to be that.  Something about it didn't ring true.  Shows what I know!  Interesting item, DWBinNH. 

philip.brohan

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:34:55 am »
We don't collect subsurface observations (oceanographic data), but there are people who do. One of the earliest projects in environmental data archaeology was GODAR which aimed to recover exactly this sort of measurement. So if you find any actual temperatures please let us know.

My guess is that the 'machine' is some sort of Nansen Bottle - there's a whole alphabet soup of gadgets for measuring temperature at depth (see here), but most of them were not around in our period (nowadays the job is done by robots).

The Nansen bottle was named after the eponymous Norwegian explorer, who was a pioneer of oceanography in addition to an awesome list of other achievements. And he's not the only famous name to try measuring temperature at depth: one of the first known efforts was by Benjamin Franklin.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:38:58 pm »
Thank you Philip.

That's yet another thing I hadn't really thought about. The ingenuity of the pioneers is staggering; nowadays "Technology" seems to have made it a doddle - once you've worked out what is available and how it can be adapted.

DWBinNH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:58:24 am »
None of those "sea water temperatures" are ever recorded, that I've seen on Bluebell anyway ... odd, amid all the other numbers.

There was a report about the "football forty" going off ship for a few hours. I wonder why 40 - that's more than two teams.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 02:27:53 am »
None of those "sea water temperatures" are ever recorded, that I've seen on Bluebell anyway ... odd, amid all the other numbers.

There was a report about the "football forty" going off ship for a few hours. I wonder why 40 - that's more than two teams.

As there's no provision for the depth/temperature readings in the log books, it seems like it's a special commission; perhaps to unravel some of the secrets of the mysterious east.

dorbel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »
Football party.
The mapping of underwater temperatures dates from the early 19th century, particularly inspired by von Humboldt.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_von_Humboldt
They are a vital part of modern scientific knowledge and the work is often carried out by Royal Navy Vessels.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 03:38:44 pm »
Football party.

Ah.  ::)
I feel like kicking myself, but I'd probably miss.

DWBinNH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 03:44:23 pm »
I'm missing something, perhaps due to cross-pond miscommunication ... what does "football party" have to do with Humboldt? I didn't think there was any relation to the underwater temperature gathering.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »
I'm missing something, perhaps due to cross-pond miscommunication ... what does "football party" have to do with Humboldt? I didn't think there was any relation to the underwater temperature gathering.

You asked two questions ...
Short term memory problems? Welcome to the club.  ;D

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 04:05:51 pm »
A football party was a group that went ashore to play/watch a soccer match.  Many ships had teams and mention them in the logs.  Some ships also had cricket teams and also mention them when they play.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 04:28:20 pm »
But the question was why 40.
Perhaps going to watch rather than to play or to watch and play?

DWBinNH - don't mind us, we're all a bit crackers (crazy) (I'm not yet sure if it is a cause or an effect of all the transcribing (OK, in my case it is a cause, but I'm not sure about the rest :P)) ;)

jennfurr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »
But the question was why 40.
Perhaps going to watch rather than to play or to watch and play?

DWBinNH - don't mind us, we're all a bit crackers (crazy) (I'm not yet sure if it is a cause or an effect of all the transcribing (OK, in my case it is a cause, but I'm not sure about the rest :P)) ;)

It's not "football forty" it's "football party".