Author Topic: Future of Old Weather  (Read 9957 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of Old Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 08:31:44 pm »
An officially confirmed revision by OW has been entered on the OW page in Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Weather

Progress
The project is broken down into a number of phases and details have been published for the first two. Phase II will start when Phase I is complete.

Phase I
As of 2 December 2011 (2011 -12-02), 98% of the logs ? 741,370 pages ? of this phase have been digitised fully. The logs of 221 ships are complete.

Phase II
Phase II will consist of Royal Navy logs from a similar time to those digitised in Phase I. This is the only definite plan at this time. It is hoped that Phase III will consist of US logs and Phase IV will consist of Arctic logs.

Results
Initial results of Phase I will be published after data collection is complete and conclusions can be made.

Indeed the readings are still being assessed at a very broad level. But the distribution of temperature by latitude and wind force by latitude have been plotted for the 120,000 results for which 3 readings have been taken.

;D

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 08:33:23 pm »
Woohoo ! Go OW !  ;D

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 09:03:52 pm »
Not to be cranky or anything, and this great, but when will the new logs be added?  I don't want to work on another boat that is almost complete - it is purely selfish on my part, I know, but I have over a thousand weather entries that aren't being counted in my rankings (I CANNOT believe this bugs me!  :o ).

Anyway, is it firm that no new logs will be added until all our current ships are done?

Kathy
(Slightly ashamed)
  ;D

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 09:13:40 pm »
there is a blushing/embarrassed smiley :  :-[ - Perfect for he occasion  ;) ;)
I do know how you're feeling Kathy (I've been checking out ships where I can still get into the rankings  :o :o ;D)
I think this definitely counts as an OW-addiction  ;D

DWBinNH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »
Why aren't entries counties in your rankings? (not that it matters, of course ... )

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 11:22:16 pm »
Why aren't entries counties in your rankings? (not that it matters, of course ... )

Quite so.  ;D
The rankings are totalled up by popzeus from the figures shown on the ships' home pages. There are just the top ten transcribers for each ship, so you have to rack up enough readings to get into that group before pz can "see" your score and include you in his figures. He can only work with the information that is available to all of us (but he knows what to do with it). It is a labour of love for him; no special privileges, no "hard lying allowance".

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »
A fellow addict, Popzeus, created the nifty bit of programming that is used to keep track of our entries.  His routine looks at the users listed on the home page for each ship and adds them up.  Unfortunately, I got pushed off the home page of the Thistle (I'm not bitter or anything  ;D ) and didn't quite make it onto the home page for the Ribble, and have done some entries on ships to help finish them off, so there weren't a lot for those ships.  The solution to this happenstance would be for the PTB to add a routine that counts each day's entries by username and have that total display.  (Not that I care about that, of course  ;D )

I am not knocking Popzeus' work, it just can't look "into" Old Weather any deeper than it does.

Kathy

tastiger

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 02:08:34 am »
Not to be cranky or anything, and this great, but when will the new logs be added?  I don't want to work on another boat that is almost complete - it is purely selfish on my part, I know, but I have over a thousand weather entries that aren't being counted in my rankings (I CANNOT believe this bugs me!  :o ).

Anyway, is it firm that no new logs will be added until all our current ships are done?

Kathy
(Slightly ashamed)
  ;D

My theory is it's one of the days in the advent calander, so maybe less than 22 days?  ;)

Anyway, there's only 8,000 pages left (compared to the original 750000 pages when Old Weather started), so I think we can work through these.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:10:41 am by tastiger »

jennfurr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 03:51:10 am »
I'm totally drooling over the arctic records - unknown geography!

philip.brohan

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 07:21:11 pm »
Nothing is absolutely certain until it's happened, but you might want to check on the site tomorrow morning (7th, UK time).

Happy Christmas,

Philip

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:33 pm »
Hmmm. Thank you Philip!

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »
ahhhhhhh

I hear angels!!!!!  and I just got goose bumps!

:o :o :o

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 08:49:57 pm »
Christmas coming early?  Can't wait!

tastiger

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 01:10:45 am »