Author Topic: Old Weather Blog  (Read 102809 times)

ElisabethB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Old Weather Blog
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 03:19:52 pm »
New blogpost : 150 ships  :D

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:17 pm »
OMG this is incredible.

You can find all your mistakes, and compare how much of the events etc you transcribed compared with someone else.

For the first time we can get at real specific feedback.

Interestingly there are still occasions where the position is shown as a very long way from the sea. Must have been an incorrect calculation by the ships crew, if all the transcribers agree that is what is written.

Thanks so much for posting these. It is a good thing that they have gone up just before a bank holiday, so I can spend all the holiday looking at them and wont loose too much more work time than I lose already to OW.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 05:22:52 pm »
Is it me doing something wrong or is there still a glitch with some fixes showing as degress west of Greenwich when they are in fact East.
I have just looked through Espiegle's data and it seems to show that she suddenly jumped half way round the world and went up the North East coast of South America and round the Carribean in 1921. She didnt and checking the logs they all show that the positions are east of Greenwich, on the East Coast of Africa and the Red Sea. The positions on the pages that show the log have a negative number (eg -43) for the Eastings, when I think they should be positive.
Is it possible that some or all of the transcribers have not put in the E after the position? I will do some digging back through some of the logs I transcribed to make sure that I didnt miss any.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 05:35:02 pm »
Doh, now realised that once the ship is completed I cant see what I transcribed any more. However, I think there is still a problem. Let me know if I can help to sort it out.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »
Keith, try looking at My Pages (down arrow, blue box, top right of interface pages). All your pages should be there.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »
Thanks Caro. That was what I tried to do.  I can get to the log pages, so it is possible to confirm that the log said that the position was east, not west of Greenwich, (ie that the Google Earth view is wrong for that specific day). What I hoped to do was to see what I entered for that page to make sure that I had not forgotten the E, or done something else wrong. It is not possible to see my own entries for that log page anymore as the ship is completed.
Hope this is clear.

Would it help if I collected together dates and log page addresses for some of the points that are wrong and put them into a message?

Caro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 06:00:08 pm »
What about if you click your lat/lon entries as though you were going to edit them?

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 06:09:44 pm »
If I click on any part of the log page it just changes size, and the magnifier icon goes from + to - and back if I click again.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »
Keith, I have corrected missed readings on an HMS Otter page through the "My Pages".  The one handicap is that when you click "Finished with this page", it sends you to "Voyage Completed" and you have to manually go back to "My Pages" to correct anything else.

What you are saying here, I now really need to get Google Earth!  ;D

ADDED:  I'm using dinosaurs, WindowsXP and IE8.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:04:44 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 06:32:07 pm »
Is it me doing something wrong or is there still a glitch with some fixes showing as degress west of Greenwich when they are in fact East.
I have just looked through Espiegle's data and it seems to show that she suddenly jumped half way round the world and went up the North East coast of South America and round the Carribean in 1921. She didnt and checking the logs they all show that the positions are east of Greenwich, on the East Coast of Africa and the Red Sea. The positions on the pages that show the log have a negative number (eg -43) for the Eastings, when I think they should be positive.
Is it possible that some or all of the transcribers have not put in the E after the position? I will do some digging back through some of the logs I transcribed to make sure that I didnt miss any.

It may be that the logkeeper didn't enter a W or E and therefore the transcribers (following the cardinal rule of 'transcribe only what is written') didn't enter anything at all?

tastiger

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:52 pm »
If I click on any part of the log page it just changes size, and the magnifier icon goes from + to - and back if I click again.

I'm on Safari and I can edit my pages of completed ships easily (for example: HMS Torch). What browser are you using?

Caro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »
It's OK thanks. We've worked out the problem with Tegwen's My Pages.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2011, 09:19:09 pm »
Thanks for the help all, especially Caro. Part of the problem was me not using the right route to my transcribed pages.

I have looked back at some of the pages where Espiegle is shown in the Western Atlantic and most of them are missing Es from some of the positions.

Sorry for any confusion and worry.

K

tastiger

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 01:48:38 am »
I just figured out how to show all the weather entries at once. Wow, we have a lot of them; I couldn't even see the Earth at some points.

tastiger

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 06:32:03 pm »
New blogpost : 150 ships  :D

It seems like there are some errors on the temperature readings.

If you look at 1916/02/13 page of HMS Sutlej, the official page only has 2-3 barometer reading, while if you look at the log page, there are 7 barometric readings (possibly one lost to illegibility). I tried to look at the next point on it?s trail to see if the reading would be there, but that was just the next day. Are these readings the final readings or is there more editing stages that they have to go through?

Or is this just an error of Google Earth?