Author Topic: Wikipedia Updates  (Read 12333 times)

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
Wikipedia Updates
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:45:54 pm »
Hi all -

I have been working the the folks at Wikipedia (building on the work of some other folks here) to get info about our ships updated, or corrected as needed.  If you run across something in the logs that is missing or not correct in Wiki, please post it here and I'll try to get everything worked out.

Kathy

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia Updates
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:56:33 pm »
Hi Kathy

Good to hear that you are still involved with the Wikipedia work. To quote another thread "Go Girl!!"

Is it a coincidence that I posted the comment about Galatea not being mentioned as a participant (albeit minor) in the second battle of Heligoland Bight, or did that just spark off this thread?

(Having written the above I have since discovered that the engagement was not really sufficient to be called a battle).

This is a link to the specific entry that I placed in the "If you find ... " thread.
http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=718.630

We do need to be a little careful about this one, not to upset the historians I think. Frustratingly the actual log for the 17th does not mention the battle at all, and just has a summary course made good for the time of the battle. It is only the specific typed additional page that mentions Galatea's role in the engagement. I dont know if the historians will accept that as proof.

In case it helps here is the link to the extra page of typed remarks: https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-42346/0067_1.jpg

And here is a link to the log for the 17th.
(https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-42346/0068_1.jpg)

By changing the URL I also got to the log for the 16th, but that simply describes leaving Rosyth. It doesnt even indicate that she was with the rest of the Light Cruiser Squadron.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-42346/0067_0.jpg

I have been trying to find out more about the battle. The Great War Forum discusses it here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34837, but again there is no mention of Galatea being present.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:17:07 pm by Tegwen »

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:29:47 pm »
Thanks Keith -

I had thought of such a thread a while ago, because of the info some one found that would correct or update a Wiki article, but that person was hesitant to do anything about it - I wish I could remember the details, and when I search, I don't find this conversation  :(

I'll be delicate  :D

Kathy

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:59:46 am »
From Steeleye -

A few days ago I think I mentioned that the Wikipedia entry for HMS Grafton reported that she was torpedoed east of Malta on 10 June 1917 (damaged, no casualties).  My anticipation was building steadily  this evening as I approached the log entry for 10 June.  This was followed by puzzlement when there was no mention of the torpedo attach on that day in the log.  (I checked the writing several times to make sure!)  Surely the boredom of life in the eastern Med wouldn't mean that a torpedo attack passed without notice?

On to the 11 June, and there it was:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-43386/0164_1.jpg

Cop that one, Wikipedia!

Steeleye

• Editor
  • Don't adjust your mind; there's a fault in reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:13:58 pm »
'tis a small world.  20 minutes after I posted about the Grafton mistake in Wikipedia, Wendolk starts a thread on exactly the same subject.

Are you omnipotent Kathy?

(Edit: I see you started it several hours ago - perhaps I'm omnipotent (but I don't think so)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:16:22 pm by Steeleye »

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »
 ;) Why yes, yes I am...
And please tell my children that!  ;D

In reality I read your post and copied it here so I would not lose track of it

Kathy

Steeleye

• Editor
  • Don't adjust your mind; there's a fault in reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:23:39 pm »
The Wikipedia source for the incorrect date was Helgason, Gu?mundur. "Ships hit during WWI: Grafton (hms)". U-Boat War in World War I. Uboat.net. Retrieved 11 February 2009.  I had a look at this on-line reference and it has the incorrect date. It also has a contact for 'additional information'.  Easy to send them the correction by email, but it should probably come from OW and not from me.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:10:05 pm »
The Wikipedia source for the incorrect date was Helgason, Gu?mundur. "Ships hit during WWI: Grafton (hms)". U-Boat War in World War I. Uboat.net. Retrieved 11 February 2009.  I had a look at this on-line reference and it has the incorrect date. It also has a contact for 'additional information'.  Easy to send them the correction by email, but it should probably come from OW and not from me.

Members are OW, with other sources, we ask that everyone who is upset enough to be impolite dump their anger in forum instead of with the sources we want to talk to.  With Wiki, that is Kathy Wendolk at the moment, as they have been extremely difficult with everyone including moderators.  But feel free to politely pass on the correction to your other sources every time.  The team is working on all of the Zoos in the Zooniverse and really do not have time for this.

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:37:04 pm »
Hi all -

I'll take this one too -

maybe I should change this thread to Other Info Sources Updates  ;D

Kathy

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 10:06:04 pm »
This has nothing to do with oldweather.org ect but this is a mistake on wiki. They have on the Smith & Wesson Model 3 they have: one paragragh were the have Smith & Wesson nearly went bankrupt because the Czarist goverment reverse engineered the pistol and put into production at Tula and in Germany. In a later paragragh it has the Tsarist goverment cacelling orders for Smith & Wesson revolvers already made and produced and delaying or refusing to pay for them.
According to the books "Smith & Wesson Sixguns of the old West" David R. Chicone and "Smith & Wesson 1857-1945" Roy G Jinks & A.J. Neal. The pistol was put into production under lisence at the Tula arsenal and by Ludwig Lowe in Berlin Germany. There is no mention of S&W going bankrupt or the Russians not paying for the pistols that they ordered. Note: Both of the above books are considered to be excellent and Jinks is the S&W Historian.

rachek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 09:57:36 pm »
Hi all -

I have been working the the folks at Wikipedia (building on the work of some other folks here) to get info about our ships updated, or corrected as needed.  If you run across something in the logs that is missing or not correct in Wiki, please post it here and I'll try to get everything worked out.

Kathy
I am working on HMS Enterprise sounding off Sangat Island in February 1917.  My Wiki entry shows:

HMS Enterprise (D52) was one of two Emerald-class light cruisers of the Royal Navy. She was built by John Brown Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd., with the keel being laid down on 28 June 1918. - so the dates don't match.

I am enjoying this project - thank you
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:17:57 am by Janet Jaguar »

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »
https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-33462/0032_1.jpg

SPO Howard
L.Sto Perry
Sto Kavanagh
Sto Wheatley
OS Constable

killed after engagement with enemy destroyers

Lieut Bunyard RN
OS Roberts
OS Fox
AB C~~ll
OS Roper
AB Collings
OS Terry
Sto Hill
Sto ~asco~~

Injured (discharged to hospital) (this list does not match the one on http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1916-10Oct.htm )

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 09:35:04 pm »
Hi all -

Kathy
I am working on HMS Enterprise sounding off Sangat Island in February 1917.  My Wiki entry shows:

HMS Enterprise (D52) was one of two Emerald-class light cruisers of the Royal Navy. She was built by John Brown Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd., with the keel being laid down on 28 June 1918. - so the dates don't match.

I am enjoying this project - thank you
You seem to have highlighted a mystery ship. Clearly, as we have the logs, there was an HMS Enterprise operating before the Emerald Class cruiser and not included in the list at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Enterprise
but I've not been able to find any further information.
She seems to have been involved in surveying duties - from the pages I've visited, in (a) river(s).

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 10:14:29 am »
Himalaya is another ship invisible on Wikipedia - the one to which the opening page directs you is for an HMS Himalaya built in 1854, and definitely not the one for which we have the logs.
Probably not really your remit, Kathy, but might you be able to get the misleading link removed?  The one to navalhistory.net is accurate.

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 01:48:25 pm »
I'm not sure who to contact about these links that lead to the wrong ship - Arfon perhaps?  I'll send him a message asking him about this -

Kathy