Author Topic: Wind Direction Problem...  (Read 4468 times)

HorusKhan

• View Profile
Wind Direction Problem...
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:40:47 am »
At thw wind direction part of Weather on the logs the person who wrote there wrote this: '' SE + S'' . Does that mean that the direction is between SE and S ( that would be SSE) ? What do I write there? SSE or something else? This is my first log. All the other Wind Direction notes on the page are normal, with one direction.

sean0118

• View Profile
Re: Wind Direction Problem...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:18:58 am »
Welcome to Old Weather HorusKhan  ;)

The log keeper is using a 32 point compass rose, the wind direction they have recorded is between SE and SSE. I think you would normally record this as SExS or SEbS. A more detailed explanation is here.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:25:34 am »
At thw wind direction part of Weather on the logs the person who wrote there wrote this: '' SE + S'' . Does that mean that the direction is between SE and S ( that would be SSE) ? What do I write there? SSE or something else? This is my first log. All the other Wind Direction notes on the page are normal, with one direction.

Welcome to Old Weather, HorusKhan.  :)

sean0118 is right about the 32 point compass, something I didn't know existed pre-OW. It is written out in more detail at http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1056.0

And there are a number of helpful references on our boards.  Good luck and have fun - I've learned alot about history, geography and sailing here.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:56:07 am by Janet Jaguar »

HorusKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:28:09 am »
When I write the wind direction it does not show any suggestions, but I'll still post it this way. I love doing this already. Oh, if I knew earlier about this site... Thanks for helping me.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:26:06 am »
When I write the wind direction it does not show any suggestions, but I'll still post it this way. I love doing this already. Oh, if I knew earlier about this site... Thanks for helping me.
Welcome on board - I'm glad you are having fun!

The drop-down list for wind directions shows only the most common choices. As sean0118 and Janet have noted, there are lots of points between these!

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:10:49 pm »
It really slows me down to type, for example, ExS rather than SE. I know we are supposed to enter what we see but I wonder if this minor variance would make any difference in the scheme of things?  :-\

Craig

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:28:37 pm »
Hi Craig.
You would be interpreting, not transcribing, if you started to change entries.
Please continue to enter ExS if that is what is written in the log.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:35:46 pm »
And ...
if you haven't already done so, a look at:
http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1056.msg9861#msg9861

will show a 35 degree difference between those directions. That's about 10% of the total possible directions ...

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »
It really slows me down to type, for example, ExS rather than SE. I know we are supposed to enter what we see but I wonder if this minor variance would make any difference in the scheme of things?  :-\

Craig
Count your blessings ;)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-53512/0006_0.jpg

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »
 Who am I to disobey orders. :)  Back to work.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 03:18:39 pm »
And ...
if you haven't already done so, a look at:
http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=1056.msg9861#msg9861

will show a 35 degree difference between those directions. That's about 10% of the total possible directions ...

What I meant to add (before my ISP lost contact) is: over a compass dial or a protractor, 35 degrees doesn't look very impressive but in the real world it could be the difference between a wind that travelled hundreds of miles over a desert and one that travelled a similar distance over an ocean with consequent effect on humidity/temperature etc.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 04:12:31 pm »
Yes,  I see in the Compass Rose that EbS describes the range between E and ESE, which is about 100 degrees. This is certainly not SE, which is about 135.

Craig