Author Topic: Too many hands on deck?  (Read 2243 times)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Too many hands on deck?
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:54:06 pm »
I see that there are now only 7 incomplete vessels and the one I have been doing (St. George) is making great progress without my help. I skipped a day and I missed its trip from Salonika to Mudros (my only opportunity to leave port  :'().

In any case, my feeling is that perhaps we are too many transcribing for the amount of work left until the new logs arrive. I would like to continue but I don't want to put anyone out of work. (The trouble is the St. George is too legible. I didn't appear to have much company doing the inscrutible Blenheim logs  ;D).

Craig

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Too many hands on deck?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:43:38 pm »
Maybe the team want us to completely finish these logs because they've made some changes to the database for the new logs. Personally, although I'm not flogging myself, I'm putting in my usual few pages a day. Just let's hope we don't finish the logs on Friday - WHAT SHALL I DO OVER THE WEEKEND.

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »
 ;D ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:20:26 pm »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »
In any case, my feeling is that perhaps we are too many transcribing for the amount of work left until the new logs arrive. I would like to continue but I don't want to put anyone out of work. (The trouble is the St. George is too legible. I didn't appear to have much company doing the inscrutible Blenheim logs  ;D).

I agree entirely. I don't think I can quit cold turkey, but I'm going to cut back on my transcribing until we get some new logs. MAYBE I can catch up on some of the things I have been neglecting since I became an OWaholic.

Hanibal94

• Shipherd
  • Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:25 pm »
I have good news and bad news:
The good news: The new logs are here!
The bad news: No new ships! Just reruns!
The worst news for me: HMS Ark Royal hasn't gotten any.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:12:44 pm »
YIPPEE!

I'm off to Orbita!

Size is right, but the pages are a bit 'bleached'. I'm happy anyhow!

Thanks Hanibal94
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:21:00 pm by randi_2 »

Steeleye

• Editor
  • Don't adjust your mind; there's a fault in reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:37 pm »
Greetings Hebe,

Are you aware that the Google Chrome browser is usually excellent at handling 'bleached' logs? - they come on the dark said with plenty of contrast.  The OW interface in Chrome is slightly quirky, but you soon get used to it.

Cheers,
Steeleye

(PS added - The principal Chrome Quirk comes up if you move the data entry pane while you are entering data.  If the pane is moved, the keyboard 'forgets' where you are; just click back in the relevant part of the pane and all will be OK again.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:59:03 pm by Steeleye »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:04:10 pm »
I work in Firefox, but I open the .jpeg in Chrome for reference.
At least, that has worked so far ;)

Carex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:30:45 am »
I was pushing, they said there would be new ships before the old ones ran out and I was hoping to catch them. (just for fun).  With all remaining ships over 80% complete I thought there was a chance.  I know I interrupted some voyages  but I also sailed in the South Atlantic, Mediteranean, Red Sea, Indian Ocean, East Indies, North Atlantic, Completed 4 trans oceanic voyages and crossed the equator many times.  And all this in my first 20 days at OW.  Now it looks like the Hollyhock may hold me for awhile so I can improve my geography in the East Indies.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 04:37:24 am »
I was pushing, they said there would be new ships before the old ones ran out and I was hoping to catch them. (just for fun).  With all remaining ships over 80% complete I thought there was a chance.  I know I interrupted some voyages  but I also sailed in the South Atlantic, Mediteranean, Red Sea, Indian Ocean, East Indies, North Atlantic, Completed 4 trans oceanic voyages and crossed the equator many times.  And all this in my first 20 days at OW.  Now it looks like the Hollyhock may hold me for awhile so I can improve my geography in the East Indies.

Exactly the thing I love about OW.  Sitting in Chicago, I've sailed (and learned a lot googling stuff) the British home waters east of Scotland, the Baltic including Denmark and the northern then-German coast 6 of my great-grandparents came from, the Azores, the coast off New York harbor and Halifax (I did NOT know the RN patrolled looking for ships leaving US ports!), The Mediterranean and the Black Sea extensively, the Caribbean, and the South Pacific.  And learned social history from the passengers we were a ferry for.

:D