Author Topic: San Francisco Bay area locals? California Academy of Sciences panelists needed!  (Read 2579 times)

alisonyoung

• View Profile
Hi all!

I work at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, CA, coordinating citizen science projects. We're undertaking a new citizen science initiative, and are using this year to plan. We're holding a set of meetings in May about citizen science, biodiversity research, and conservation outcomes, and are inviting "experts" in these realms. We're opening these meetings with a panel of citizen scientists who have volunteered in successful citizen science programs to hear from their perspective what makes a project interesting, what keeps them engaged, etc. We'll have panelists from field-based projects and online projects. We will use what we learn to help direct the conversations for the rest of the meetings and use this information to guide us as we plan for our new citizen science program.

We'd really like to have a (local- i.e., San Francisco Bay Area) Old Weather participant be on this panel... someone who is motivated and involved and can speak to what they like about Old Weather.

Moderators: if this is not the correct place for this post, please feel free to move it or delete it if necessary. If this post is okay here, recommendations of possible Old Weather participants would be great, or interested folks can respond directly and I will get in touch.

Thanks!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Welcome.  The Dockside cafe is the perfect place to post something like this.

One way to get OW members is to become one!  Please feel free to join a ship's crew and become one of us.  It can be a fascinating voyage.  :)

alisonyoung

• View Profile
Thanks Janet! It's definitely a cool project- I've had some other colleagues on my citizen science team try out Old Weather and they really enjoyed it. The digitizing of historical documents is something we're interested in since at some point we'd love to do something similar with our historical research collections- digitizing specimen labels and associated data. Hopefully there's an Old Weather participant in the area that would like to come talk to us about it!  :)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
I actually live in the UK, but will be visiting San Francisco from 31st May to about 22nd June.  This sounds like it will be too late for you, but if by any chance it isn't, I'd love to come along!

Helen J

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
I actually live in the UK, but will be visiting San Francisco from 31st May to about 22nd June.  This sounds like it will be too late for you, but if by any chance it isn't, I'd love to come along!

Helen J

Ask 'em about travelling expenses.  ;)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Quote from: helenj link=topic  =2599.msg38135#msg38135 date=1331997661

Helen J

Has anyone ever suggested that you might have the odd cynical bone in your body?   :D  I'd be doing it for the love of OW of course ... ;D

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
Quote from: helenj link=topic  =2599.msg38135#msg38135 date=1331997661

Helen J

Has anyone ever suggested that you might have the odd cynical bone in your body?   :D  I'd be doing it for the love of OW of course ... ;D

I don't think so; curmudgeonly, misogynistic, facetious, puerile, irreverent, pedantic, lovable, are some suggestions ...

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

alisonyoung

• View Profile

Helen J

Hi Helen! Ah, I wish your travel here overlapped our conference! Alas, we're looking for someone specifically for May 16th. If you know any Old Weather participants in the SF Bay Area, please pass this request along!  :) Thanks!

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Sorry not to be able to help, Alison.  I hope someone local reads your post on the Forum and comes forward.  I've met various Americans here, but no one from San Francisco yet.

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile

Helen J

Hi Helen! Ah, I wish your travel here overlapped our conference! Alas, we're looking for someone specifically for May 16th. If you know any Old Weather participants in the SF Bay Area, please pass this request along!  :) Thanks!
Close, but no cigar.  :(
(And no expenses, either.  ;D  )