Author Topic: Please comment/add ideas/chatter about our magazines here  (Read 11781 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Please comment/add ideas/chatter about our magazines here
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:42:07 am »
We are keeping the indices for our new magazines locked, only to keep them easy to use and preserve the sanity of the moderators minding their upkeep.  But we really hope you will be interested in these, and maybe suggest resources that we can add.  And talk here about them.

Please read and enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:14:23 am by Caro »

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
Re: Please comment/add ideas/chatter about our magazines here
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:56:24 am »
Janet,
I'm glad that you added this more general section to "our own" selection.
I'll add more to my list for your consideration in due course but, to begin with, your link to "King's Regs" seems to be a sales point showing abbreviated pages. Would it be appropriate to include this link to the complete Volume 1:
http://ia700508.us.archive.org/10/items/kingsregulations01greaiala/kingsregulations01greaiala.pdf ?
(Slow to load.)
Or this more accessible transcription:
http://www.pbenyon1.plus.com/KR&AI/Index.html

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:01:14 am »
Thank you for that link!!  I couldn't remember where I had stashed it, so I used a more complex one.  Mine was a free Google-book, but you have to know to click the "Read" button on the far left side.  I'll put your much better link in. ;D

Bunts, the other thing I can't find tonight is from Naval-History.net.  Gordon has this lovely diary/book/something describing in detail life on board a ship.  I'll keep on looking, but wouldn't your help in finding it. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:04:21 am by Janet Jaguar »

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 03:10:27 am »
Thank you for that link!!  I couldn't remember where I had stashed it, so I used a more complex one.  Mine was a free Google-book, but you have to know to click the "Read" button on the far left side.  I'll put your much better link in. ;D

Bunts, the other thing I can't find tonight is from Naval-History.net.  Gordon has this lovely diary/book/something describing in detail life on board a ship.  I'll keep on looking, but wouldn't your help in finding it. :)

I omitted the Naval Discipline Act that seems to have been still in force:
http://www.pdavis.nl/NDA1866.htm

It's past my bedtime but I'll skim through my bookmarks. You'll probably have found it before I sort that lot out.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 03:18:05 am »
Thanks, again.  I'll add it in.  And tomorrow is fine, if your insomnia is starting to get sleepy, don't waste the opportunity on this stuff. ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »
Yes!  Thanks, Randi. ;D

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »
Don't forget the various Pilot books.  These books are great for place names and as a source of interesting information about these areas:

Pacific Ocean:
     East Coast of Siberia, Sakhalin Island and Korea
     The Japanese Islands
     Sunda Straights and the Southern Approaches
     The shores of the China Sea from Singapore Strait to and including Hongkong
     Coast of China, Yalu River to Hongkong with Formosa
     Australia Pilot: North, northwest and west coasts between the western approach to Torres Strait and Cape Leeuwin
     Australia Pilot: South and east coasts of Australia from Cape Northumberland to Port Jackson, including Bass Strait and Tasmania
     Australia Pilot: East coast of Australia from Port Jackson to Sandy Cape, the seaward edge of the Great Barrier Reef, islands and dangers in the Coral Sea and Torres Strait with directions for the outer route
     Pacific islands pilot ...
     The Australia directory: chiefly from the result of various surveys made by order of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty. South and east coasts from Cape Leeuwin to Port Jackson, including Bass Straight and Tasmania, Volume 1
     Asiatic Pilot: The coasts of Sumatra and the adjacent straits and islands

Atlantic Ocean:
     The coast of France and Italy from Cape Cab?re to Cape Spartivento, together with the Tuscan archipelago, Islands of Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, and the Maltese Islands
     British Islands Pilot: The south coast of England from the Scilly Isles to the Thames
     Sailing directions for the English Channel, Volume 1
     East Atlantic pilot

African Coasts:
     Africa Pilot: South and east coasts of Africa from Cape of Good Hope to Ras Hafun

Africa Pilot: comprises the sailing directions of the southwest coast of Africa from Cape Palmas to the Cape of Good Hope, including the islands of St. Helen, Ascension, Tristan da Cunha, and neighboring islands
     West coast of Africa, from Cape Spartel to Cape Agulhas: including the islands in the Bight of Biafra, Ascension, St. Helena, Tristan da Cunha, and Gough islands

Mediterranean:
     Mediterranean Pilot: From Cape Matapan (Greece) eastward, the Mediterranean archepelago, and the southern shore of the Mediterranean Sea, eastward to Ras Asjdir(Libia)
     Mediterranean Pilot: Strait of Gibraltar, south and southeast coast of Spain, African coast from Cape Spartel to Gulf of Gabes-including the Balearic Islands
     Mediterranean Pilot: The southeast of Italy, the shores of the Adriatic and Ionian Seas to Cape Matapan

Misc:
     Addenda to Hydrographic Office publ. no. 124 of 1909
     The Black Sea pilot: the Dardanelles, Sea of Marmara, Bosporus, and Sea of Azov
     The Gulf and River St. Lawrence
     The navigation of the Caribbean sea and gulf of Mexico: Supplement to Vol. II, 5th ed, Volume 2

I think this list contains all the ones that have Google ebooks (except for the ebooks re the Great Lakes - I don't think we have any ships at present in those bodies of water  ;D ).  If anyone finds more of them on-line, please feel free to add to the list.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 05:11:57 pm »
The Baltic Pilot Part 1
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=EaSjAAAAMAAJ&q=Baltic+pilot&dq=Baltic+pilot&hl=en&sa=X&ei=E6GJT6neDcLV8gPhmcDNCQ&ved=0CEAQ6AEwAA
The Baltic Pilot Part 2
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6gQQRAAACAAJ&dq=Baltic+pilot+part+2&hl=en&sa=X&ei=L6OJT5vQK8LC0QX396joCQ&ved=0CEgQ6AEwAjgo
Baltic Pilot Part 3
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-I8NAQAAIAAJ&dq=Baltic+pilot+part+3&source=gbs_book_similarbooks

I found it referred to while I was on Cardiff - in December 1918 they referred to an abnormal variation affecting the magnetic compass which was mentioned in the Baltic Pilot Part III.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:18:44 pm by helenj »

Bunting Tosser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:24:19 pm »
Yes!  Thanks, Randi. ;D

And thanks from me, too.  :)
<phew>

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:07 am »
If anyone finds listings of the Great Lakes books - Even though we have no ships there, some of us CURRENTLY sail on the Lakes and would appreciate looking at the Pilot Books! :)

Thanks.

Blessings,  Dean

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 02:32:26 am »
Amazing things show up when you search Google Books!  This is my search page:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=great+lakes+pilot&c=books

It has 35 books listed, so have fun. ;D

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 05:05:04 am »
ugh...how did I miss the Baltic Pilots...

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 06:50:11 pm »
I came across this one by accident but it contains a lot of the older names of places around the Indian Ocean. It isn't easy to find your way around but at least it may sort out one or two problems if you have the patience.

http://www.archive.org/stream/directoryfornavi00find/directoryfornavi00find_djvu.txt

It is a pilot book of the 19th century, aimed at sailing ships and so is very detailed about shoals etc but not all lighthouses we find will be specified.

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »
A progress report on the ship histories:

So far, 23 ships' logs have been edited and 13 are being edited currently.
In addition, nine logs which are not yet available have been reserved.

If you would like to try editing, please follow the advice at the bottom of the list of completed ship histories here:
http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=2689.msg39987#msg399

Thank you.  :)