Author Topic: HMS Mantis  (Read 1150 times)

nigelward

• View Profile
HMS Mantis
« on: June 25, 2012, 03:54:15 pm »
Good Afternoon All,

I'm writing this post on behalf of my father who has for some time now owned what we believe is a very interesting pair of objects from Her Majesty's Ship, HMS Mantis.

My father has asked me to try and find some information about where / what / how / why these objects would have come from the ship.   We would be most grateful if anyone could 'shed some light' upon the matter for us.

They are two intricantly carved, Chinese 'Dogs of Foe'.  Both very substantial objects and they look like they were wall mounted in the ship.  Possibly in the mess or some such area.  They are made of dark wood and are around a foot square each in diameter and heavy.

The reason why we are tracing these objects back to the ship is because one of them has, 'HMS Mantis' written in 'Admiralty Grey' paint on the back of it.

Would anyone remember them?

Many thanks and kindest regards,

Nigel Ward

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Mantis
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 04:57:27 pm »
Hi Nigel and welcome to the Forum -

I don't think we can help you - the logs, in general, don't mention anything about the furnishings and decorations of the ships.  I think the place to go for assistance would be the Great War Forum.  There is a section on ships and navies and someone there may have pictures and information on the carvings.  Also, did you mean Foo Dogs (lion dogs, fu dogs) - the temple dogs in China?  I would love to see pictures of what you have, because I have only seen the Dogs as statues, not as wall plaques. 

Good luck with your search - there may be someone here who can give you more information.

yours -

Kathy W.

nigelward

• View Profile
Re: HMS Mantis
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »
Hi kathy,

I'm just hoping that there maybe a story to these !  They are definately wall mounted objects.  From memory they have the fixing holes in the corners and have flat backs to them.  My father also mentioned that he has a brass rail attachment that came with them that pulled a set of curtains across and in front of them. Unfortunately I don't have access to them and I can't take a picture for the forum.

From my own research on the HMS Mantis she would have been in Shanghai in/around 1923 and I'm thinking that these were possibly bought locally and placed in the ship somewhere. 

Thanks for the info about the other forum. I shall also enquire there.

Kind Regards,

Nigel