Author Topic: Odd thing about Neptune - and odd thing with sunrise/set observations  (Read 3744 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Please - Any help available (I know others have done these pages recently so I'm hopeful)?;

1) What's going on with Neptune at 1 pm?  "1pm Hauled in Neptune PL Streamed cherub".

2) At sunrise and sunset  does it say DEV for deviation after the main direction is shown...and what does that mean please?

Thanks,
Ava

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Could we have a link to the page please? 

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
Neptune and Cherub are different types of Patent Log.  So they hauled in the Neptune log and streamed the Cherub one instead.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
I think it does say 'Dev' for deviation - and I imagine it's something to do with the deviation on the compass - what they keep swinging for.  But we need a proper sailor to explain more than that!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
What is unusual is that just before sunrise and just after sunset, they also took a measured lat.long. by the stars.  I think it was Dorbel who told us that was a difficult calculation requiring charts but is more accurate than the DR locations.  So I would guess all four readings might be a teaching exercise.

h.kohler

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
I don't think it is an exercise as they do those measurements on a regular base being at sea.

Here an example from her voyage from Dakar to Gibraltar 1918

http://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-42862/ADM%2053-42862-017_1.jpg
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:58:27 pm by h.kohler »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
That gives her some unusually good officers, IMO.   :)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Once again...thank you all very much. The Glasgow is a real education. I've never heard of the two different logs before (love the names!) and this is the first time that I've noted stars being used to find position. I did wonder if it was a teaching exercise - but they do note those sessions as 'teaching' so I think this is just a very exacting ship? 
I guess it becomes almost like second nature, but what with putting clocks on by a few minutes twice a day, using the stars as a guide, sorting out log deviations, there's a fair bit of territory to cover....never a dull moment?
Ava

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
I think it does say 'Dev' for deviation - and I imagine it's something to do with the deviation on the compass - what they keep swinging for.  But we need a proper sailor to explain more than that!

Helenj:

There are a couple earlier discussions that may help.
letters & misc logs - handwriting help - ship swung to  about May 15,2012 that explains the compass swinging part.

Another 'SWING' you may see is a COMPASS SWING where they will set the ship out in the middle somewhere and then turn it slowly and stop facing many different directions where they can see a known object. This will help them set/check the compass to see that it functions correctly and is properly adjusted to compensate for the metal, etc. in the ship. The process is called swinging the compass.

I do it each spring when we relaunch the boat to check for deviation developed over the winter storage.  We'll set the boat in a known position and point it at several known landmarks and check the compass heading against the heading on the chart.

http://www.compassadjustment.com/#4

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Odd thing about Neptune - and odd thing with sunrise/set observations
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 11:32:31 pm »
Thanks Dean, I'm going to get my head round this tomorrow - I find it helps to draw it out on a piece of paper so I can follow it.  :P ;)

It suddenly reminds me of the Lighthouse Museum way North of Aberdeen where there's a fun booth where you get to pretend that your are looking out from a ship's bridge at night - you see somelights flashing (little pea lights on a black board) and, based on where you see them, and a chart of lighthouse pulses, and a map, you get to work out where you are in the Firth of Forth...it's good fun.

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:49:02 am »
And if you can't find forth .. try third or fifth!!! ;D

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 04:29:28 am »
I'll have a fifth  :P

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 06:27:38 am »
I'll av an arf, best bitter please.

Even more left field.
I have just read that 'The Feathers Hotel' at Woodstock, Oxfordshire has the Guinness world record for varietys of Gin.

I've changed my mind, make mine a G&T. ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:20:10 am by pommystuart »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 11:54:02 am »
As the crow flies the Feathers is about 6 miles from me  8)