Author Topic: Huzzah for Intrepid  (Read 2197 times)

Karijn

• Editor
    • View Profile
Huzzah for Intrepid
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:59:47 pm »
I've been unable to transcribe much for a week or so.
Now I'm back and all of a sudden Intrepid, of all ships, is where all the cool kids are hanging out. I am so proud of her!  ;D
And admittedly a bit smug that I've stuck with her before she was popular, but I think I might be allowd that ;).
Now my laptop is in repair and OW does not work with the Ipad (woe is me), so unless I manage to confisquate my fiancees laptop tonight I'll just sit back and watch you guys pass me by in transcribed pages in the leaderboard. Somehow I'll even be slightly disgruntled.
This is a very weird and addicting pastime indeed.

Bring her home my fellow lieutenants, she deserves it after all those ice fields and cold nights and a log keeper who appears to be writing with three fingers of his left hand only.

Yay Intrepid!

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Huzzah for Intrepid
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:06:09 pm »
oh! Hope you are back on line soon...confiscate that computer! Captain's rights!
Love what you say about the log keeper....he's given the whole thing a remarkable depth of character...and by doing so little! That's talent.
I doubt you'll be passed as captain though!
Ava  :D :D

Karijn

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:09:41 pm »
Oh i am in no way the captain, thats Pommystuart! He's done an insane amount of log pages that still impresses me. I'm just a lowly lieutenant. Lowlier and lowlier in fact  ;D

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:14:38 pm by Karijn »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:12:40 pm »
oh! What was I looking at? Silly me - I still think you stand a good chance of staying on the front page - fingers crossed.  As the number of boats dwindles more and more folks will be able to access less pages so those with a head start should stay safe... ;)

Karijn

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 02:20:03 pm »
What I love most about this log keeper is the fact that he forgets position, important manouvres and appearantly entire subs they've been towing, but somehow never forgets to mention things like breakfast, dinner and noon. 'Cause that might prove useful for posterity.

And I once introduced myself as a person with no competitive bone in her body, so I am not going to worry and just be glad that she's finally going somwhere. Only now I am starting to see what you guys are talking about when you talk about wanting to do all the pages. Storm? What storm? What ship entered? Why are we towing a submarine now? Aaah, where did my sense of consistency go?

On a third not a am deeply ashamed of the fact that I inserted a 'qu' into the word confiscated unjustly. I won't edit it either, it's a badge of shame ;)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:42:33 pm »
Karijn...you cannot imagine with what AWE I see all of you who transcribe so well in someone else's terrible, hopelessly disorganized language AND their bad handwriting.  I really do kneel at your feet!

Karijn

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »
That's quite the compliment, thank you so much  :-*
Sometimes I just get cranky with myself when I see obvious spelling of grammar mistakes in old posts of mine. I guess we just grow up seeing this whole 'also being able to read English'-thing as no big deal over here, and it never occurred to me that it might be strange for you native speakers to see me coming up here and transcribe in your language.
Thanks again for the kind words!

Still, go Team Intrepid, especially you Ava, you contributions to this part of the forum really made me appreciate our very special logkeeper even more. Bless you and your amazing sense of humour.

By the by: do we have any inkling on knowing who this logkeeper was? Somehow I'd really like to see a picture of the man.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »
Your wish is my command...and he's caught red-handed at the cookie jar!    ;D

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:33:05 pm »
Hi Karijn,
Here's our intrepid crew....  :D :D

Sadly no names attributed.  :(

Awwww - AND the ships' cat.....Caro - look!    :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:43:59 pm by AvastMH »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:41 pm »
Karijn,
 You MUST read this book -it's side-achingly funny:

http://archive.org/stream/cu31924027832421#page/n83/mode/2up

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 02:03:06 pm »
 ;D

Karijn

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 05:43:13 pm »
Oh Ava, thank you so much for both  :-*. I knew they *had* to have a cat.  :D

By the by: what are the chances of our hero the logkeeper actually being in that picture? Was he usually an officer of sorts?

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »
Definitely yes.  Our Ship's Logs were previously known as the Lieutenant's Logs.  Only the junior officer of the watch fills in the original.  Larger ships also have a "writer" that acts as the captain's clerk, who may be making the copy logs.  If not, that also goes to the junior officers.

That poor cat sure looked as if she was camera-shy and wanted nothing more than to get back to hunting mice.  But I'm glad to see who she is. ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:58:30 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Karijn

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 05:58:52 pm »
So he may be one of the men in the picture? Fascinating, thank you Janet.

Thursday Next

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »

That poor cat sure looked as if she was camera-shy and wanted nothing more than to get back to hunting mice.  But I'm glad to see who she is. ;D

I loved the expression on the face of the guy holding the cat - "Why me?  How come I get to hold the cat?"  ;D