Author Topic: Information to include in Tutorial or Help Documents / Other Ideas  (Read 11555 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Information to include in Tutorial or Help Documents / Other Ideas
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 12:17:20 pm »
More a general ethos thing than actual instructions - but is it worth stating clearly somewhere where everyone new will see it that this is fundamentally a weather project, and that it's being funded by the climate people.  It might help them to persevere with recording the vast amounts of weather in the US logs; and also not get too tied up with all the other info and side projects unless they want to?

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 12:25:57 pm »
Good point.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »
examples of codes (ocf, ocfs, cum, nimb, ...), animals (ice bugs, walrus, ducks, ...), ice descriptions (pan, pack, flow, ...) Some of the handwritting is exceptionally hard to interpret or faded and the terms, codes, or names may be dated, specialized, or unfamiliar to many and as such won't come to mind easily when reading the log.  With a list of common terms for various fields, it would be much easier to read the logs.
- eslong

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 12:46:44 pm »

Some mention of all us wonderful people in the FORUM to help them when they lose course. ;)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 05:50:37 pm »

Some mention of all us wonderful people in the FORUM to help them when they lose course. ;)

Got it, as of yesterday.  ;D

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 06:02:22 pm »
Excellent!

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 03:37:22 am »

Dear Janet:    :-*    :-*    :-*

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 03:53:05 am »
examples of codes (ocf, ocfs, cum, nimb, ...), animals (ice bugs, walrus, ducks, ...), ice descriptions (pan, pack, flow, ...) Some of the handwritting is exceptionally hard to interpret or faded and the terms, codes, or names may be dated, specialized, or unfamiliar to many and as such won't come to mind easily when reading the log.  With a list of common terms for various fields, it would be much easier to read the logs.
- eslong

I really want drop-downs with the opportunity to also type.  And we need to wait a while to see if they get added.  But we now have a tutorial link to our forum guide.  If membership outside the moderators (who are really busy behind the scenes on this turnover) want to make their own lists for us to add to the Guide, I have faith in their ability of make good ones. ;D

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 02:04:51 am »
I would like to see a link to a specific reference page in the information box you get when you click on the Help tab for an entry box. For example, when I am in the Cloud Type box, I would like to be able to then click on the Help tab and see a brief description of what to do in the help box along with a Link to "Cloud Entry Help" that would take me to a very detailed help page on all aspects of Clouds. I have found information about clouds in different places, but it is always hard to remember just where I found it. Whoever is in charge of Help boxes could keep that one page up-to-date with all the latest information that might arise from queries from the various loggers. Similarly for the other entry boxes.

For example, I have found information about entering location data in various places, but nowhere have I found an answer to dealing with locations scattered at various hours on the weather page. Eg.: at the top of the page there might be: Naval Yard, New York, Underway to Sandy Hook, Underway to Naval Yard. Then down the page: At 4 a.m. Underway, at 8 a.m. Anchored off Sandy Hook Lgt, 3 p.m. Underway, 8 p.m. Moored at Naval Yard, New York. At the moment, I am just entering the data in the Location at the top of the page. Also I just enter what is written, but could "Anchored at Ordinance Dock, Naval Yard, New York" just be entered as Port: New York? It may be that someone has answered these questions in a post somewhere, but it would take a lot of searching for me to find it, without me knowing if the information is even there. If, however, there was a page dedicated to all aspects of Location and accessible through clicking on the Help at the top of the entry box, it would make life so much easier.

Thank you

Michael

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 05:26:23 am »
I would like to see a link to a specific reference page in the information box you get when you click on the Help tab for an entry box. For example, when I am in the Cloud Type box, I would like to be able to then click on the Help tab and see a brief description of what to do in the help box along with a Link to "Cloud Entry Help" that would take me to a very detailed help page on all aspects of Clouds. I have found information about clouds in different places, but it is always hard to remember just where I found it. Whoever is in charge of Help boxes could keep that one page up-to-date with all the latest information that might arise from queries from the various loggers. Similarly for the other entry boxes.
That would be wonderful if we had a large staff, but we don't; no one of the team or the volunteers (includes moderators) has the hours each week to look for everywhere for all the changes and then update software.  And the interface puts an absolute ceiling of 250 characters on each notation.  There is, in at least four places, a HELPFUL REFERENCE POSTS that is a simple index.  Click on any of the pictured headings and you will be linked to the real thing.  The Cloud Types heading looks like this:

The transcribers are simply digitizing what is written there in TWYS or choosing instead to use the corresponding drop-down choices.  What kind of questions do you have on it, and what can we write up in the forum in the Cloud Types reference post to answer them in the best place we have open to our use?

For example, I have found information about entering location data in various places, but nowhere have I found an answer to dealing with locations scattered at various hours on the weather page. Eg.: at the top of the page there might be: Naval Yard, New York, Underway to Sandy Hook, Underway to Naval Yard. Then down the page: At 4 a.m. Underway, at 8 a.m. Anchored off Sandy Hook Lgt, 3 p.m. Underway, 8 p.m. Moored at Naval Yard, New York. At the moment, I am just entering the data in the Location at the top of the page. Also I just enter what is written, but could "Anchored at Ordinance Dock, Naval Yard, New York" just be entered as Port: New York? It may be that someone has answered these questions in a post somewhere, but it would take a lot of searching for me to find it, without me knowing if the information is even there. If, however, there was a page dedicated to all aspects of Location and accessible through clicking on the Help at the top of the entry box, it would make life so much easier.

Thank you

Michael

Every location given in the heading, whether Port Name of a specific city/anchorage or a description that goes in Place Name, always gets transcribed there.
If they have a noon lat/long reading, the team would appreciate it a lot if you would transcribe that.  The more additional locations you choose to transcribe, the better - they will be used; but they are optional.  The current Help Box says, "Location:  Enter Observed noon lat/long if available. Dead Reckoning and lat/longs at other times can be also be entered, as can a Port Name for the ship?s location. Enter sighted places and voyage descriptions (eg ?passage from A to B?) as Place Name.

I agree with you about the full page in a Help Box.  Our software seems allergic to the idea, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:18:58 am by Janet Jaguar »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 08:16:13 am »
Also I just enter what is written, but could "Anchored at Ordinance Dock, Naval Yard, New York" just be entered as Port: New York?
When you use Port Name it should only be the name: "New York" (or "Ordinance Dock, Naval Yard, New York" or "Naval Yard, New York"). You can do that in this case because you are stopped there. When you use Place Name you can include more details as Janet has noted. But, if "Anchored at Ordinance Dock, Naval Yard, New York" is what is written, do not enter "Port: New York", because that is changing the log.

For general transcribing questions try: Type What You See - Yes, but .... I try to keep it up to date, but the American logs are generally older and over a longer time period than the RN logs we did first, so we find all sorts of odd cases.

For information, questions, and discussion about a specific ship try the Reference and Discussion topics in: * * * Index - Use this to find your Ship * * *.

And, as Janet noted, for general questions try: HELPFUL REFERENCE POSTS.

asterix135

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 05:30:50 pm »
Is there an easy way to go through the tutorial again without re-registering?

When I click on the tutorial link on the oldweather site, the tutorial has the comments page and the weather data pages reversed, which I don't think was the case when I started.  (and if they're that way for everyone right now, it'd be tres confusing for anybody starting off) - things don't line up appropriately.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:03:41 pm by asterix135 »

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 06:01:21 pm »
That is definitely wrong! We'll try to get it fixed as soon as possible.
Thanks Asterix.  ;)