Author Topic: Interface/Browser issues  (Read 64802 times)

ebf

• View Profile
Interface/Browser issues
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:18:09 pm »
Please use this thread to ask questions of us regarding all browser issues.

If you are finding the entry box magnifier is not working on your IE8 or IE9 browser, you have found a chronic problem - OW and IE are allergic to each other.  We recommend using Chrome or Firefox, and Safari also works.

IE9 had its design finished and was released well after OW went online, and they fixed some security problems with IE8.  Our software engineers didn't know what Microsoft was planning, and Microsoft didn't ask what we'd need.  And they do not get along well at all.  Firefox and Chrome can both be downloaded for free, and they do not conflict with IE or Office.  Firefox used to give us dropdown boxes for all our fields, so we can sometimes do less typing for repetitious entries (and we hope to restore that.)  Chrome is the only browser that compensates for contrast on log pages that are over-exposed, hard to read because they look bleached white.  (Not as effective when the printed form is good but the written ink has faded.)

I was one of the folk who dislike putting 2 of any major program on my computer for fear of conflicts.  Both Chrome and Firefly pleasantly surprised me, they went on easily and have never given any trouble at all.  I've come to strongly prefer them to IE8 or IE9.

Sometimes the magnifier gets so small it is useless and the gray rectangles for previous recordings obscure the information.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:13:07 pm by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Interface issues Phase 3
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:21:56 pm »
Sometimes the magnifier gets so small it is useless and the gray rectangles for previous recordings obscure the information.
That usually happens when you accidentally drag the cursor while clicking.

Just use Click+Drag to draw the size box you want (as in attachment).

Caro

• Global Moderator
  • Our end is Life. Put out to sea. Louis MacNeice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:44 pm »
Hi ebf and welcome to the forum.

If the magnifier window has collapsed to a small box, try closing the entry box and creating a new one.

As Randi says, you can create a different-size window by using click+drag.
First, click on the log page, drag a box to the size and shape you like, then let go your mouse/touch pad button.
A complete entry box will appear with all the tabs attached. All you need to do is draw the box.

You need to click a clear area (away from the grey rectangles) of the page to open a new entry box.
You can then drag your new entry box to the area you want to look at.
The grey markers will not be visible in your magnifier window and so will not obscure the data on the page.

Once you have created a new size of entry box, every new box that you open on that page will be the same size.
Unless you change the size again.  :D

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:05:54 am by Caro »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:55:50 am »
I'm really sorry to say that I feel like throwing my toys out of the pram just now  >:( ...I've just posted a page in a mess because of repeatedly trying to edit a box - which wouldn't take a correction. I'm just going to try another page...but I needed to get my crossness off my chest first. I can't believe we're trying to use something like this.  >:(

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:14:29 pm »
 :-*

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:20:38 pm »
Awww - thanks randi!  :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:14 pm »
Can you describe the problem in a bit more detail? ;)
Is it repeatable?

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 01:40:16 pm »
I'm really sorry to say that I feel like throwing my toys out of the pram just now  >:( ...I've just posted a page in a mess because of repeatedly trying to edit a box - which wouldn't take a correction. I'm just going to try another page...but I needed to get my crossness off my chest first. I can't believe we're trying to use something like this.  >:(

I felt the same way the other day. It's going better now but editing can be risky. My problem is always the rogue window. If you don't catch it right away it causes havoc. They know about this problem but I am guessing the programmer is on vacation. Take a deep breath and kick your computer until you feel better.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:50:16 pm »
Well it's repeatable for sure - I took those screen shots on the second page I attempted today.  I've done a few other pages and  those temps seemed to follow sequence so I felt confident in my transcription. It didn't even go through my mind to check that they were described correctly in that check list - doh!  :-\

I was just about to post a page when I spotted that one temp was clearly wrong (the logkeeper kept on over-writing numbers as you've probably noticed!) so I went to edit the entry. That's when I realised that the check list descriptions were out of order. I corrected the entry and closed the box using the OK button...but nothing changed in the checklist line. It was only after a couple of attempts that I noticed several new checklist entries at the bottom of the list, caused by me trying to close the entries box. In the end I blew its brain up, and the whole thing stalled Firefox completely. I solved this by going for God's Sovereign Remedy - a cup of tea. When I got back it had closed the page and moved onto another one.

I'll keep going and see if any other bits replicate themselves. Wish the checklist descriptors could be in the right order though (sob!).  :-\

Thanks again,
Ava
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:07:45 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 01:52:47 pm »
Screen shots?
Are you talking about the "check list" on the right under Map and Timeline?
THAT IS GARBAGE --- IGNORE IT.

I check each line before I click OK - I am a rotten typist!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:56:44 pm by randi_2 »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 01:56:23 pm »

I felt the same way the other day. It's going better now but editing can be risky. My problem is always the rogue window. If you don't catch it right away it causes havoc. They know about this problem but I am guessing the programmer is on vacation. Take a deep breath and kick your computer until you feel better.

Thanks Gastcra!  I know I need to stick with it - just work a lot slower given the repair problems. One thing is for sure - the rogue windows needn't bother putting in a letter to Santa this year.  ;)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 02:01:22 pm »
I did a bit of experimenting.
My corrections did not show up on the check list, but when I reopened the edit box, they were there.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 02:04:17 pm »

Thanks Gastcra!  I know I need to stick with it - just work a lot slower given the repair problems. One thing is for sure - the rogue windows needn't bother putting in a letter to Santa this year.  ;)

Coal in their stockings! and not Welsh - lignite!

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 02:09:45 pm »
Screen shots?
Are you talking about the "check list" on the right under Map and Timeline?
THAT IS GARBAGE --- IGNORE IT.

I check each line before I click OK - I am a rotten typist!

OOpsie! screen shots - Forgot them - I tried to post this an hour back - but the 'post' wouldn't work either (jeepers what a bad day it's been..I blame it all on the olympics- 'cos they can't answer back)

And 'yes' it is that list - so it's known to be garbage eh  :o ? Hurrah!  Well -more a case of 'Hurrah! FIX IT!'

Yep - I did check that the correction appeared in the entry box..and it was there - so I guess we just presume that the real database has all the right stuff in it.

I'm also not great on the keys - but the old system was easy to use for checking...well, as Bob Dylan once yoddled...'the times they are a-chaaaanging' 
Feeling somewhat restored... :) :)
A

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:10:33 pm »
"Coal in their stockings! and not Welsh - lignite!"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D