Author Topic: Re: Features You'd Like To See Added Phase 3  (Read 20047 times)

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
Re: Features You'd Like To See Added Phase 3
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2013, 02:15:41 am »
We need the MODS doing their good job and us Grunts keeping thw work up to them.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:25:12 am by Pommy Stuart »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2013, 03:10:34 am »
Thanks from all of us. ;D

Maikel

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:26 am »
I suspect that you have to be Captain to get it.
Helen J is captain of Pioneer and gets it.
Craig is captain of Yukon and Jeannette and gets it.

The captain of U.S.S. Yorktown is seeing it as well.

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »
Oh, my, god, where did you dig that up from.   :D
Nice Amp system in the background.

That is a 'famous' song from my area. A 'Golden Oldie'  from maybe the 1970's! I forget the original group but I'll look. There were several other versions on You Tube but I was a bit hesitant about sharing.  Just 'Bing' it.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2013, 01:28:27 am »
Pommey:

Check this one out for your yellow Polka Dots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=wLsZKEteOhg

Talk about bringing up oldie good memories!!  Thanks for the big grin! ;D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2013, 07:41:05 am »
For transcribing Events it would be very helpful we could either use the 'return' key to start a new line (as we can here) or if there were some way of indicating the end of a line (perhaps something like '\\').
Log keepers often use the end of the line to mark the end of a sentence (without wasting ink on a period), but we are obliged to begin the new sentence with nothing but a space or two to separate them.

For example, see http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3571.0

Thanks!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2013, 08:27:00 am »
Randi, I totally agree.  It didn't matter much with the RN logs.  It matters a lot with the longer prose, in places.

Dean, I was much too young when "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" came out to be in the '70s.  Wiki says "first released in June 1960 by Brian Hyland", which fits my memories.  Looking at all the reissues and commercials it appears in, it never died. ;D

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:58 am »

That is a 'famous' song from my area. A 'Golden Oldie'  from maybe the 1970's! I forget the original group but I'll look. There were several other versions on You Tube but I was a bit hesitant about sharing.  Just 'Bing' it.

Yeh - my dad loved that song - used to sing it under his breath on the beach if an itsy bitsy bikini went by - used to wind mum up a treat. I always held it in association with my aunt's (dad's sister) favourite song of 'Does you chewing gum lose it's flavour on the bed post overnight?' (Lonny Donegan, same sort of year).  ;D

Oops - should have put this into general chat!

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2013, 11:59:20 am »
Log keepers often use the end of the line to mark the end of a sentence (without wasting ink on a period), but we are obliged to begin the new sentence with nothing but a space or two to separate them.

Thanks!

There is a precedent for adding punctuation for clarity, despite the TWYS rule. Remember the Jeannette weather codes where the logger implies compound cloud types by putting them on the same line? For example, he will write "Str Cum" new line "Cir Cum" new line "Nim", which we agreed to render "Str-Cum Cir-Cum Nim". So if we can add a hyphen we should be able to add a period "."

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33:53 pm »
I don't think that that is quite the same thing.

We are allowed to pick cloud codes from the drop-down which includes Cum-Str and Cir-Cum (but NOT Str-Cum).
It is the same as selecting W from the wind direction drop-down even though the log keeper wrote West.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2013, 01:07:07 pm »
If we are allowed to add hyphens where no hyphens appear in the log, then why can't we add a period when one is implied by the context and ommitting it would lead to confusion? The only difference is that the science team has foreseen the need for a hyphen in a context where there are a limited number of possibilities.

(The logger does occasionally write "Str-Cum" - are  you suggesting I render that as "Cum-Str"?)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2013, 01:33:10 pm »
For example, he will write "Str Cum" new line "Cir Cum" new line "Nim", which we agreed to render "Str-Cum Cir-Cum Nim".
Can you give me a link to the discussion? I can't find it.

The logger does occasionally write "Str-Cum"
If the log keeper writes exactly that with the dash, you can TWYS or, as I understand it, choose "Cum-Str" from the drop-down. The general advice is if the meaning is not clear is that you should transcribe it as written.

We are doing our best to transcribe the logs exactly as they were written. Where that is not possible, we do the best we can. Perhaps it should be transcribed as "Str Cum Cir Cum Nim"

I still don't think these two issues are quite the same. Not all log keepers end their all sentences with periods. If we decide that there should be a period at the end of some lines and not at the end of others, we are editing. (and that leads to the question of adding punctuation elsewhere, and then correcting spelling, and then grammar, ... the road to h___ is paved with good intentions ;))
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:08:47 pm by Randi »

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2013, 01:39:26 pm »

Yeh - my dad loved that song - used to sing it under his breath on the beach if an itsy bitsy bikini went by - used to wind mum up a treat. I always held it in association with my aunt's (dad's sister) favourite song of 'Does you chewing gum lose it's flavour on the bed post overnight?' (Lonny Donegan, same sort of year).  ;D

Oops - should have put this into general chat!
Randi, I totally agree.  It didn't matter much with the RN logs.  It matters a lot with the longer prose, in places.

Dean, I was much too young when "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" came out to be in the '70s.  Wiki says "first released in June 1960 by Brian Hyland", which fits my memories.  Looking at all the reissues and commercials it appears in, it never died. ;D

Janet:  I stand corrected! Was just about to update the info when I saw your post!  I worked in Radio in  the early 70's and we used that song as a backdrop for several things - must be why it stuck in my memory at that date! ;D

Joan: ANOTHER GOLDEN OLDIE!!!!!    Thanks for the Memory!!! :-*

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2013, 01:52:01 pm »
For example, he will write "Str Cum" new line "Cir Cum" new line "Nim", which we agreed to render "Str-Cum Cir-Cum Nim".
Can you give me a link to the discussion? I can't find it.

Here it is, Randi  http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3338.msg59102#msg59102

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2013, 02:09:23 pm »
I think the slippery slope tendency can be prevented by a rule - adding punctuation for clarification should only be done to clarify confusion resulting from new lines in the log.