Author Topic: New TV programme?  (Read 12790 times)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
New TV programme?
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:40:16 pm »
I've had an idea ...  What about the OW cooking challenge?  Contestants are given a list of 'provisions received' from one of our ships and have to come up with something nutritious and delicious - or failing that, at least edible.
To start off - Britomart has just received 44 lbs of meat, 2 sheep, 100 lbs of onions, 100lbs of pumpkins (I think - take a look at the page below), and 78 lbs bread.  Any suitable recipes?

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM53-36251/ADM%2053-36251-014_0.jpg

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
Re: New TV programme?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:56:07 pm »
Beef stew, pumpkin summer pudding and a woolly jumper or two!!! Easy!!

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »
You have a place on the first programme!  And we can add a craft element to the cookery - that should ensure excellent ratings ....  :D

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:23 pm »
" excellent ratings "....  :D

That's very funny - excellent ratings  ;D ;D ;D ;D love the pun!

Just checked the page - they may be corporially sorted - but they 'Rigged a Church'...do we need to save their souls?  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:12:05 pm by AvastMH »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:56:11 pm »
 ;D

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
I was thinking beef stroganoff, shepherd's pie and pumpkin soup -

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:27:41 pm »
You have a place too .... :D

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:30 pm »
I can contribute some raw whale blubber from the Corwin. This is a Chukchi delicacy and certain to please viewing audiences from the north. Perhaps this could be featured in the second program?

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:52 pm »
For the Ratings:

French Onion Soup, Rack of Lamb and meatloaf, with Pumpkin Pie for desert ;D

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 08:40:18 pm »
I think I am the only one so far to finish with two live sheep. That must win extra points!!!

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:46:55 pm »
Cheese ;)

Dean

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 10:55:52 pm »
I think I am the only one so far to finish with two live sheep. That must win extra points!!!

I thought we had to use ALL the supplies!  ::)  I'll start a new protest group - 'SAVE THE SHEEP!' ;D ;D

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:06 am »
Well, Tegwen did use the sheep, but it was for woolly jumpers rather than stew - a win/win situation (especially from the sheeps' perspective!)

And Joan - I don't think I'd ever seen Rigged Church before (and so I transcribed it for the edited log) - I'm wondering whether they were rigging awnings etc so they didn't get sunstroke while worshipping?

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 11:01:01 am »
Royal Navy in World War 2 --- NAVAL LIFE and CUSTOMS, Part 2 of 2

Church is Rigged on the Quarter-deck

Captain's Rounds are over at last, however, then Church on the quarterdeck. First the Roman Catholic and United Board Church Parties land to attend their own places of religion on shore, and only Church of England men remain aboard. The Duty watch "rigs" Church by ranging rows and rows of mess stools across the quarter-deck for the hands, and a couple of rows of chairs. The carved lectern - the ship's carpenter made that in his spare time - comes up from the Chapel, and a small table is draped with the White Ensign. The ship's bell begins to toll as soon as Church is rigged and, while the string section of the ship's band plays a voluntary, the officers and men troop in singly and in groups. Church aboard a warship is "voluntary" - but all are expected to attend! The Service is short and simple - a few hymns, a few well-known prayers, a psalm, maybe, with the band accompanying; the Captain reads a lesson, the Chaplain delivers a very short sermon, another hymn, another prayer, the National Anthem - and all is over. The Chaplain, hands deep in the sleeves of his surplice, passes alone down the centre of the standing ship's company; a pause and the Captain follows him, turning to say "Pipe Down, Commander" to the "bloke" as he passes. The Commander nods and the officers troop out, then the Chiefs and Petty Officers. "Pipe Down," orders the Commander. "Duty Part Unrig Church" - and the routine of the day is over.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 11:59:51 am »
Well...I've learnt a lot there....you chuckle at these things - then they turn out to be completely true. :o :o 8) 8) 8)