Author Topic: Sea temperatures every hour  (Read 5823 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sea temperatures every hour
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 10:39:56 pm »
My apologies Janet.
-----------------
We seem to have landed in hot water!

well - I have :'(
best get back to work
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:51:44 pm by AvastMH »

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 11:15:16 pm »
I do NOT want to cancel Henjam with Hengam!!!  We are recommending going with the official spelling of that time!!!  Or possibly the consistent spelling of that log keeper, assuming he is consistent.  So whichever one of you did Henjam, be grateful and smile.  ;D

I do put an italicized parenthesis note the first time an older name is used, giving the modern equivalent, but that is not a guideline or rule, it's my own editor's preference.

Egads, what you all want to get me in trouble with!!!  :o ::) ;D

Phew. I have always put the official spelling at the time when I have known it, including Henjam. ( Grateful smile) It is a good idea to put the current name in itialicised parenthesis. Will do that in future where I can. K

Karijn

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 11:23:27 am »
I always put the current-day spelling in italics as well, again and again. I think it would help people trying to track the ship on a modern map.
But I am in China, and that makes a difference. I can imagine a person understanding at once that Henjam=Hengam, but Canton=Guangzhou.... ;)

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 11:44:15 am »
I really wonder whether they're just getting bored - we've been in the same part of the world for ages and ages, and mostly do a round of the same places - Muscat, Basra, Heujam and points between.  No mention of sea serpents either - I'll keep a close lookout!

Hi Helen. It seems to be my morning to be picky. I couldnt help but notice Heujam above. I think it should be Henjam. (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/city?i=1099153&n=Henjam#lat=26.67940&lon=55.89640&zoom=7) If this is just a typo I am sorry. If you have been putting this into your history for months I am even more sorry. If you are correct and I have been making the error for the past two years then I am even more sorry still!!
K

Hi Keith.  It's the even more sorry option - and I'm doing my best to be grateful!  I have indeed been putting Heujam into my history for months (if not years).  Recently I'd begun to wonder whether it was right, but had Heujam on my list from Britomart and Espiegle and assumed (as it turns out erroneously) that I'd had good reason for that!  So it's back to find and replace - and also I suspect replacing the Lat/Long.  Do you have an 'agreed' position for Henjam? - as it's a whole island it's a bit hard to be very specific ....
Actually having just played around a bit with Google maps, trying various positions around the island, I think that bit may be OK within the accuracy we're using - 26.7/55.9 seems to cover most of the island - phew!

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 11:57:41 am »
Helen, use the CTRL-H find/replace function.  It's not that bad to fix a whole voyage-worth.

Just don't click "replace all", take the time to click replace for each occasion.  Some very strange mistakes happen using the short way.  Although "Heujam" will be safer than most.

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 03:18:57 pm »
Thanks, Janet - I'm trying to see it as an opportunity to learn a new function!  I suspect I need to go back and check Espiegle too - I'm sure she spent a lot of time there.  I can see I'll need to go and grovel to Gordon ....

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 04:31:15 pm »
He's a lovely man, and won't make you grovel too long before giving you an answer. ;D

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 04:58:18 pm »
I really wonder whether they're just getting bored - we've been in the same part of the world for ages and ages, and mostly do a round of the same places - Muscat, Basra, Heujam and points between.  No mention of sea serpents either - I'll keep a close lookout!

Hi Helen. It seems to be my morning to be picky. I couldnt help but notice Heujam above. I think it should be Henjam. (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/city?i=1099153&n=Henjam#lat=26.67940&lon=55.89640&zoom=7) If this is just a typo I am sorry. If you have been putting this into your history for months I am even more sorry. If you are correct and I have been making the error for the past two years then I am even more sorry still!!
K

Hi Keith.  It's the even more sorry option - and I'm doing my best to be grateful!  I have indeed been putting Heujam into my history for months (if not years).  Recently I'd begun to wonder whether it was right, but had Heujam on my list from Britomart and Espiegle and assumed (as it turns out erroneously) that I'd had good reason for that!  So it's back to find and replace - and also I suspect replacing the Lat/Long.  Do you have an 'agreed' position for Henjam? - as it's a whole island it's a bit hard to be very specific ....
Actually having just played around a bit with Google maps, trying various positions around the island, I think that bit may be OK within the accuracy we're using - 26.7/55.9 seems to cover most of the island - phew!

Once again my apologies that my pickiness has given you extra work. I have to admit to one mistake that I had been making for years. There are two places around Saudi Arabia that I now know are called Quoin Island. For some reason, when Odin's log keeper wrote it it looked so like Quoris that I never even checked it. I think there are a number of "Quoris Islands" in my transcription of Espiegle, so please look out for them. Frustratingly there are also a few in my early history of Odin documents that have been published. I did ask Gordon if I could have them back to correct them (and a couple of other tiny typos I had spotted after sending,) and he declined, so that mistake is stuck there for ever I guess. At least Heujam will not join it!!!
All the best. K

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »
No need to apologise Keith, I'm happy to know now, rather than when it may be too late to correct it.

And I have got Quoin/s right!  Probably more by luck than anything else.  But at far as I can remember I did get that OK in Espiegle, whichmis done and dusted.  It sounds from your experience that Gordon may not want to have Heujam/Henjam corrected in that log - I'll get in touch and ask him.

I console myself that we are at least giving future readers something to go on, without having to fight their way through the handwriting, even if the something isn't always entirely accurate.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 05:17:40 pm »
No need to apologise Keith, I'm happy to know now, rather than when it may be too late to correct it.

And I have got Quoin/s right!  Probably more by luck than anything else.  But at far as I can remember I did get that OK in Espiegle, whichmis done and dusted.  It sounds from your experience that Gordon may not want to have Heujam/Henjam corrected in that log - I'll get in touch and ask him.

I console myself that we are at least giving future readers something to go on, without having to fight their way through the handwriting, even if the something isn't always entirely accurate.

Thanks Helen. Have you finished all of Espiegle or just the phase two logs? I seem to remember that the majority of her history is in phase 1 and we still havent seen that for editing, but I may be wrong.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »
Thanks, Janet - I'm trying to see it as an opportunity to learn a new function!

I think it's a function you'll come to love. 

If you use it to find unwanted words, e.g. "Event: Other: ", that is very common and you want to see totally gone before you start the manual editing, just put the phrase in the 'find' box and leave the 'replace' box totally blank.  It whisks you through the whole document in record time.  They all disappear in the time it takes to read the next pick and click your mouse on either 'replace' or 'next' - again and again.

Also when you are starting a section with multiple spellings of the same place or ship.  Put one misspelling in 'find' and the correct spelling in 'replace' and run through the doc.  Then change just the 'find' to the next misspelling, and repeat.  Then go back to manual editing.

I do like to cheat, some times. ;D

Helen J

• Editor and Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 05:42:36 pm »

Thanks Helen. Have you finished all of Espiegle or just the phase two logs? I seem to remember that the majority of her history is in phase 1 and we still havent seen that for editing, but I may be wrong.
[/quote]

I've done the later dates of Espiegle - all that was available when I asked for them.  So I expect there will still be more to come.

Tegwen

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 09:17:52 pm »

I've done the later dates of Espiegle - all that was available when I asked for them.  So I expect there will still be more to come.
[/quote]

In that case, when you get phase 1 of Espiegles logs look out for Quoris Island!!!