Author Topic: Date and coordinates - where to find on a page?  (Read 1276 times)

Palkan

• View Profile
Date and coordinates - where to find on a page?
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »
Hello.
I'm new here and I have got a problem with finding the information in the scans.
I can't find the date and the coordinates on the page I try to read. Is there any position where it is very often?
I hope you can help me.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Date and coordinates - where to find on a page?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:36:45 pm »
Dear Palkan,
Firstly let me welcome you to the Forum. It's lovely to see new faces. You will find us a friendly lot. Many of us have done so much transcribing that we might as well have been at sea for a while...some of us are sailors (not me though - landlubber to the core and still a relative newbie).  ;D
So - which jolly boat have you decide to set to sea on?
What would help is to have the reference for the page you're looking at- to find this right click on your mouse over the page and select 'copy image location' - then paste it into one of these posts. That we we can all have a good look and try to provide an answer.
I hope you'll have lots of fun!
Joan (AvastMeHearties)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:49:19 pm »
Just signed in and took a 'copy image location' address for my work on the Rodgers. So this is what you'll see when you do that copy + paste:

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/USS%20Rodgers/Rodgers_1881/b001of010_0063_0.jpg

I think you are on the Thetis - which is very similar to the log of the Rodgers. Am I right?  At any rate the solution should be simple.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:57:33 pm by AvastMH »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:27:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Palkan.  We are glad to see you. :)

We are in transition right now, so our help references aren't as complete as usual.  But we have a good Guide started here:  Guides for US logs
The other stickied posts in the Getting Your Sea Legs and Rules & Information are helpful.

All of our ships have a 2-page-per-date log book.  This means that location will be on one page, and the date on the other.  If there are coordinates, it depends on which ship you are on; they may be with the location name or with the date.

And feel free to ask questions - this crowd enjoys answering them.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:43:08 pm »