Author Topic: Type What You See - Yes, but ...  (Read 9297 times)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Type What You See - Yes, but ...
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:19 pm »
Introduction

"Type What You See". It sounds so simple.

As with many other things, there is a difference between theory and practice. We are really dedicated, so that when there is an error we have an excruciating urge to fix it. Sometimes it is just not clear how to transcribe the data on the page into the fields provided. Most keyboards do not have an anchor key.

NEW: Dittos are now to be transcribed as dittos! (see Exceptions)

We knew these logs were going to be quite a bit harder than the ones we're used to, and we've had some serious debates in the science team about whether it was worth the effort. But we are in no doubt - these are the logs we need to be looking at - we're not inflicting all this trouble on you for no reason. [my emphasis]

If you've got 48 seconds to spare, watch the video at http://vimeo.com/43723075. It's a bit frenetic (and it goes backwards in time) but it does show the observations that we've currently got - that's what we're using to understand how the climate varies and changes over decades and centuries. If you look at the North Pacific, you'll see that in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries there are almost no observations, and that's a big problem - Pacific climate variability matters to a lot of people. That's why Kevin is currently shivering up in the Chukchi sea and it's why we're asking you to battle with these more challenging logs. We need these observations even more than we needed the RN WW1 ones.

When we did the Royal Navy logs we knew what they all looked like when we started building the website. The US logs are older, more variable, and we're finding the logs and building the website at the same time. This makes Arfon and Stuart's job much harder, and that makes it harder for us all. It will get better - but it's always going to be a different challenge from the old version.

So there's a strong science payoff for all the hassle, and almost certainly some fascinating new stories and history - certainly I'm expecting more strange and unexpected events to occur in these logs. Remember also that it's not a race - relax: if the site's misbehaving, knock off for a tot of rum (or a Devon cream tea [or a hot chocolate]), it'll still be there when you return. And rest assured that we hear what you're saying and we're trying hard to put up lots of really interesting and valuable logs, and to knock the bugs out of the user interface.

Philip

INDEX

General Comments
- Basic Rules
- Date
- Weather Records
- Miscellaneous Events of the Day
- Number of Weather Entries

Exceptions
- Dittos (no longer an exception!)
- Weather Data in the Wrong Column

What About ... ?
- Dash or Space in Pressure Reading
- "Extra" Weather Entries
- Double Entries
- Multiple Cloud Codes
- Overwritten Cloud Code
- "My log starts at 1 PM !!!" / Nautical Day
- Missing or Incorrect Day, Month, or Year

Other
- Sometimes it is simply not possible to type exactly what you see.
- Sometimes we can take a little shortcut.

For problems specific to your ship, visit "The Dockyard" (* * * Index - Use this to find your Ship * * *)
For each ship you will find a Reference topic with examples of the logbook formats used by that ship and helpful hints for transcribing and a Discussion topic where you can ask questions and see what other transcribers have asked. In both topics, you will find interesting snippets about your ship.

If you have questions or comments, or want to notify the analysts about odd cases, please post them in: Type What You See - Questions and Comments or in the Discussion topic for the ship in question.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:00:52 pm by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »
General Comments

We need to remember that we are transcribers and not editors or analysts. If we make corrections, we blur the line between log keeper errors and transcriber errors (See Better than the Defence for Philip's analysis of errors). We may even introduce errors by incorrectly assuming that we know exactly what error the log keeper made.

I have mixed feelings on this issue too, but our general principle is that we don't try and fix errors and omissions by the log-keepers, and we should stick to that here. Please input exactly what is in the logs. [my emphasis]

I know we'd get better data if we used our judgement to fix it, and it hurts to abandon that, but it's necessary. Remember that much work on oW is done by people who don't read the forum - so if we agree on special cases here we'll get inconsistent results because not everyone will see the discussion. Also, if we edit the logs we corrupt the data for some possible future uses. [my emphasis]

What we really need to do is set up a parallel interface, so we can record exactly what is in the logs as we do today, and also record our comments and corrections, to be stored seperately. We are working on this, but it's hard - for the moment please just record whatever idiocies the log-keepers come up with using the current interface, and use the forum to tell us about the peculiarities (and suggest fixes). [my emphasis]

Thanks,

Philip

... If we start changing small things, we'll end up changing big things, and that would be a bad thing as far as the scientists are concerned.

Basic Rules

When you can read scrawled words well enough to guess at the spelling, guess enthusiastically!  Put in your best guess even if you are VERY uncertain. Philip says "... a guess that might well be wrong is much more informative than a '~'."

If you cannot read a letter, a number, or a whole word, please enter a tilde '~' or tildes to indicate this.
Examples: 
     12 survivors from S/S ~ arrived.
     6.0 HMS W~ sailed.
     Closed with SS G~~dale.

Do not enter '?' or '(?)' unless that symbol actually appears in the logbook. We have to guess at many things in the logs; adding a question mark is superfluous!

Transcribing an * will not cause a problem.

If an entry has been crossed out or otherwise marked as bad, just ignore it.

If the log keeper has indicated, by arrows or other means, that data belongs somewhere other than where it was written, enter it where the log keeper has indicated.

Date

Unlike the Royal Navy logs of Phases 1 and 2, most of the Phase 3 US logs have the date on the second page. That is why it is not listed in the top band on the first page. The correct procedure is to only put it in on the second page.

Note that the US Navy normally expresses the date as month, day, year. When we enter the date on the Date tab, we use the Royal Navy order of day, month, year. When transcribing dates elsewhere, please transcribe the dates in the order they are written.

Weather Records

In general try to enter data exactly as it appears.

Exceptions:
  • Wind Direction: If the log keeper has written out North, South, East, or West, it is OK to select N, S, E, or W from the drop-down list. If the wind direction is not on the list, just do your best to type what you see.
  • Cloud Code: If the cloud code or combination of codes is available from the drop-down list, select that even if the abbreviation or the order is different. If the cloud code is not on the list or you are uncertain about which code to use from the list, just do your best to type what you see.
    For more information, see What About ... ?, and the Reference and Discussion topics for your ship.
    As far as I am concerned, "Cir-Cum" and "Cir Cum" are the same (as are "cir cum", "Cir:*!cum" and many other variants). So if the three entries are: "Cir-Cum", "Cir Cum", and "cir cum" that's three identical entries. For quantitative scientific terms I can usually allow for vagaries of formatting; I recommend using the drop-down, but feel free to TWYS.

IMPORTANT: For underlined weather code letters and detailed information, see: [link to detailed weather transcribing instructions]

Miscellaneous Events of the Day

Here too we need to remember to transcribe only what is written.

... There have been questions like should I add HMS or SS to a ship name; can I add the name of US Navy ships when only the numbers are logged, etc?

.... There are many pitfalls in identifying ships as so many have the same or similar names. Leave that to later naval history researchers. If they make a mistake, they can't blame Old Weather.

Gordon

... We are asked to transcribe the logbooks, not to summarise or to interpret them.
Transcribers may choose which events to enter from 'the miscellaneous events of the day'.
Non-verbatim summaries are an option only for the editors.

The [ship history] editors are working for historians, the opposite of climatologists.

And starting an editorial office and seeing what we had changed a number of recommendations we are making regarding comments.

The Golden Rule holds true:  All comments are optional.

The Editors' Wish List:  If a comment interests you,
    please transcribe accurately in whole, it makes our lives easier. ;D

Number of Weather Entries

It does seem hard at first, but once you get used to entering the data it really isn't that bad.

If there are for example 12 records per day, do I have to digitise them all? Why?
If they want to test and improve the algorithm for the weather forecast, you don't calculate the weather at, for example, 10 pm. You only calculate a trend. If I digitise 3 records (morning, noon and evening ), would that not be enough for calculating the average temperature for this day? [Edited for clarity]
Hi carbonat.

Please do digitise them all.

You're quite right, three measurements would generally be enough for calculating the daily average temperature, but that's not all we need to know - if we're worried about heat-stress we want the highest temperature of the day - if we're worried about frost-damage we might want the lowest, or we might want to know for how much of the day the temperature was below freezing. If a storm blows through the pressure will drop, and we need to know exactly when, or a day's continuous drizzle can produce exactly the same mean rainfall as a clear day with a single squall, and those are quite different weather types.

So all the observations will be used for something - you're not wasting your time inputting them all, no matter how boring they might look.

Philip

... please do enter all the weather observations.

There is no real answer to how many is 'enough' - 24 is better than 12, but nothing like twice as good (except sometimes when there are big changes in weather occurring). So it seems quite reasonable to do 12 - that's more than we usually get and it's enough for most current uses. But even so, please do all 24, for two main reasons.

Firstly - three people do each page and for weather records we can only use the numbers where they all agree. So if we let people choose which observations to do we can only use results where they all make the same choice - usually they won't and we'll end up having to discard most of the transcriptions.

Secondly - looking at the records which have been transcribed in the past, many such compromises have been made: People only recorded positions to a precision of 1 degree, or they only used noon observations, or they only transcribed the temperatures (no pressures), or they only recorded data when the ship is at sea (nothing in port). I have no doubt that all these decisions looked very sensible at the time - they left out only information for which they had no immediate use - but they are a great loss to us now, with different requirements. Indeed, sometimes we have to throw out these earlier transcriptions, and do them again. We may be the only people to look at these logs for decades to come - we need to capture as much as possible.

So please do all observations.

This does not apply to events - we don't need three independent transcriptions of those (it's nice when we get them, but we don't require it) and there's no way we can capture it all so we need you to use your judgement about what matters - please carry on transcribing events according to your best judgement.

Sorry to be persnickety - but I think it's necessary.

Philip

When I started I came across a few incomplete weather entries and didn't record the odd one where there was, say, only a wind direction or a barometric reading, but generally did all those where there were two or more readings.

I then came across a ship in Hong Kong which would normally have 7 readings but would increase that to 24 partial readings when there was a typhoon.

Now I take the view that if the person on the ship decided it was worthwhile recording any weather data then I am not going to exclude them, partial or not. And, as far as the instigators of the project go, I am sure it is best, in the absence of clear instructions what to exclude, to include everything.

If you have questions or comments, or want to notify the analysts about odd cases, please post them in: Type What You See - Questions and Comments or in the Discussion topic for the ship in question.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:02:20 pm by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:58:05 pm »
Exceptions

Dittos

Here is a major change from Phases 1 and 2!

The software is unable to associate dittos with the values that they represent. So, if there is a ditto mark (such as " or any other form) in something you are transcribing please type out the full data that is dittoed.

Philip is going to modify the software to handle dittos. Consequently, when you see a ditto (such as " or any other form), transcribe it as ".
Quote from: Philip
Please don't expand dittos from now on - we're trying to simplify the process and get rid of anything that's not TWYS.

If the space for a reading has been left blank, that is not considered a ditto, so do not enter anything.

Check marks (ticks) may or may not be dittos.Since we cannot enter a check mark:
  • If a check mark is used as a ditto, it should be transcribed as ".
  • If a check mark has been used to indicate that the field has been left blank intentionally, the field should be left blank.

Dashes appear to be used only to indicate that a field has been intentionally left blank. For an example, see the weather columns in http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-67688/ADM%2053-67688-010_1.jpg.

Weather Data in the Wrong Column

When the log keeper has CLEARLY entered the weather data in the wrong column, it should be put in the correct column.

Only correct entries if it is absolutely certain that they are in the wrong column - like 29.83 for wind direction or West for weather code.
The weather entries of HMS Mantua in mid-1917 are a little eccentric at times.
The 4 pm entries on August 10 are more than a little eccentric. I don't know what they had for afternoon tea that day.
In this case, to avoid losing the data completely, Philip has asked that the entries are put in the correct columns.
This definitely goes to show that if you're not sure how to deal with peculiar log entries, the best thing to do is ask here. :D
[my emphasis]

Do NOT switch columns just because the wet bulb temperature is higher than the dry bulb temperature. There may be other problems with these records and the team wants to know about them.
... It is a wet-bulb temperature, from which we infer the humidity, and it should never be higher than the dry-bulb temperature (that is, the air temperature in the previous column). Comparing wet and dry-bulb temperatures is one of the checks we do on the observations to make sure they are sensible before using them. ...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:02:49 pm by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:00:50 pm »
What About ... ?

Most of us probably mumble "Type What You See" in our sleep, but there are still times we wonder if THIS is an exception. Usually the answer is NO. If you are in doubt, don't hesitate to ask. Also, the analysts appreciate it if you warn them about these odd cases. See the link at the end of this post.

UPDATE: Initially we requested transcribers to put only spaces between degrees and minutes and between minutes and seconds. Philip has revised his software; now 42 33 02, 42.33.02, 42d33m02s and even 43$33&02 are all treated identically. So, TWYS.
Philip is aware that some logs express latitude and longitude as degrees and minutes with a decimal point to indicate fractions of minutes. For example, 63 48.5N. TWYS.

Observed vs. Dead Reckoning:
... guess enthusiastically. If some people guess DR and some guess obs, I know that we don't know.

The degree and minute symbols printed in the log can look almost like decimal points. Although it will no longer cause a problem, please try to use spaces unless the log keeper has used decimal points or other characters.

If the D.R. readings have N/S and E/W specified and the Observed readings don't, do not add the N/S and E/W to the Observed readings even if it is obvious that they apply. The same is true if the Observed readings have N/S and E/W specified and the D.R. readings don't.

If the letter for the latitude or longitude is clearly incorrect, even if the correct letter is known, it should be transcribed as written.

If the letter is before the number (e.g., N 37 12), it should be transcribed that way. NOTE: At the moment you need to click OK and then Close, and it will not be displayed on the map or below POSITION.

If the position is a latitude and longitude determined by bearings on a place, enter it as Observed.

Observed | Latitude = N 76 02 | Longitude = W 68 49

If the position is a place with a bearing (and distance), use Place Name.

Place Name = Marrowstone Point  NWxN - dist 3'.5

If a place is sighted, you can put the whole comment in Place Name.
For example, if the entry is "Sighted Farallon Lighthouse brg S43E dist 5m", put Sighted Farallon Lighthouse brg S43E dist 5m into Place Name.

What we really want is the best noon position - any other positions are just gravy.

So I think we should tell people that: please enter at least one position - in order of desirability:

Noon Obs
Noon DR
Other time obs
Other time DR
Port name
Place or landmark name

At least one of these if possible from every page. (We want both lat and lon, best of each) If they want to enter more that's useful, but not vital.
I don't think we can start labeling them - though we might want to add that to the UI in the future.

The CS will have to use their own judgement of what the best noon ob is in difficult cases like the corrected 8a.m. observed position you show. Is this better than a noon DR? I suspect so, but don't know. The CS should feel free to guess. Is the observed lat with no time better than a known noon dr lat?
I don't know this either, in such tricky situations, guess.

Missing Pressure Digits

In a case like the following:

(from http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/USS%20Manning/Manning_1916a/B1462_0072.jpg)
the integer part should not be copied from above nor should a ditto be added.
I just started the Manning and I see that the log keeper doesn't enter the first 2 digits of the barometer reading unless it changes. This is obviously an implied ditto. Does TWYS apply in this case or should I make a lot of extra work for the editors by not entering them?  ;D
This is, as so often, a tricky point, but please stick to strict TWYS - just put in exactly what is in the log.

The logkeepers leave out the '30' from '30.12' because it is not interesting - it changes so slowly that we can guess what it is, and that means that my software can guess it too (I have not tried this yet with this data, but I'm confident). So you don't need to enter it, we can work it out in post processing.

So - RECOMMENDED: Just put in what the logkeeper put - don't add missing digits. As far as possible, stick to strict TWYS. If the entries are strange or doubtful, please do mention it in a forum thread - just like this one.

But don't bother correcting previous entries - it's useful to have a few human assessed entries to check the computer, but we'd rather not have them in general.

No Decimal Point in Pressure Reading

Normally the pressure reading has a decimal point between the integer and decimal parts. However, you may occasionally simply see four digits.
For example, 29.63 may also be written as 2963.
Philip has asked us to enter it as it is written. He says that his software treats all those variants in the same way.

Dash or Space in Pressure Reading

Normally the pressure reading has a decimal point between the integer and decimal parts. However, you may occasionally see a dash or a space between the integer and decimal parts.
For example, 29.63 may also be written as 29-63, 29 63, or even as 29:63.
Philip has asked us to enter it as it is written. He says that his software treats all those variants in the same way.

"Extra" Weather Entries

Occasionally there will be a reading inserted between two of the hourly readings. In this example (http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USCS%20Patterson/Book%201/IMG_4785_0.jpg), there is a ditto (") in the Wind Direction column between 9 and 10 am. Philip has asked us to include these readings. As shown below, it can be entered with 9.30 for the Hour.

There were some pages (e.g., http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol001of004/vol001_012_0.jpg) with a weather reading on the "PM" line. Normally this line is blank. Philip says he is "utterly baffled" at this, but he asks us to transcribe it and to put PM for the Hour (and to be extra careful to fill in the Hour for all weather entries). If the 1 pm line contains dittos, please enter the actual values when transcribing to avoid possible loss of data. In this example, at 1 pm you would enter SSW for the Wind Dir instead of " and b for the Weather Code instead of ".

Double Entries

When you have two readings, such as wind direction or pressure, one right after the other, it can be difficult to determine what the log keeper intended. Sometimes other information in the log will help. In most cases, it will simply indicate that the value has changed suddenly, and the readings should be placed one below the other according to their times. In the example below, two different instruments have been used to measure data at the same time. Since the readings were taken at the same time, Philip asks that the readings be put on the same line and that the analysts be warned. For example, if there are two pressure readings, create one 'normal' record with all the data and the first pressure and then create a second record with just the hour and the second pressure. Don't hesitate to ask if you are not sure!

At some point on "Victorian" two barometer readings began to appear at mid-day, one above the other and written in red.
The readings were similar and sometimes identical.
Eventually I came across the "Instruments" page at the start of a log book which indicated that there were two barometers, the mercury being used for every reading and the aneroid readings being shown in red.  No explanation was offered, unfortunately in 1915 this practice had not been introduced so I can't post a link but if anyone else if transcribing "Victorian" they might find the relevant pages. ...

Example: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ADM%2053-67394/ADM%2053-67394-009_1.jpg
Sorry for the slow official response, but I was not at all sure what the best action here is. However, on reflection, I think that the ship is actually making two observations at the same time, and we should enter them as two separate observations.
So please input the whole observation as normal but using just the first of the two barometer values, and then click again in almost the same place to create another weather observation, and put the second barometer height in that. So, one normal observation (wind, temperature etc. + first barometer reading), and another with only the second barometer reading in it (you don't need to put the wind etc. in again).
As always, thanks for letting us know. Now we're warned, we should be able to do some interesting comparison of the two barometers. I hope the ship meets a storm or two (so we see a big pressure change) while making the paired observations.

USC&GSS Yukon (I) records aneroid and mercurial barometer readings in some of its logs. Please see: Yukon -- Reference: Transcription Example and Log Description.

NOTE:
is NOT a double entry. The log keeper simply used the whole box rather than writing all four letters on one line. The weather code would be transcribed as ocrq.

Multiple Cloud Codes
Usually there are only one or two cloud codes on one line, but sometimes there are several cloud codes on multiple lines for one entry. Because there is no way to insert a line break in our transcriptions, we use a space to indicate a line break. These entries can be challenging. Just make your best guess. TWYS may save you a lot of agonizing. ;)

For example, the 6pm entry on https://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol001of004/vol001_089_0.jpg is written as
cir.
cir strat
strat.
With TWYS this would be transcribed as: "cir. cir strat strat." (or "Cir. Cir Strat Strat.").
Based on the drop-down list, it could be transcribed as: "cir cir str str" (or "Cir Cir Str Str").
Given that both "cir" and "strat" appear individually and that "cir strat" is on a line by itself, it is reasonable to assume that "cir strat" refers to cirrostratus clouds. So, this could also be transcribed as "cir cir-str str". This is in the gray area between guessing enthusiastically (which is encouraged) and adding (which is not permitted), so this option should be used with caution.

In general, unless there is a hyphen, you should assume that the cloud codes are separate:
cum
nimb
and
cum nimb
should both be transcribed as either "cum nimb" (TWYS) or "cum nim" (according to the list).

Remember, our job is to transcribe what is written as accurately as possible. Interpreting it is the science team's job.

For further discussion, see Cloud Code Questions.

As noted above (General Comments) "Cir Str" and "cir str" are equivalent, so if you are typing codes from the list you can use lowercase.

Overwritten Cloud Code

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jeannette/vol001of004/vol001_036_0.jpg
Usually when something, like temperature or pressure, is overwritten it is a correction and you can determine the correct value. However, in some cases, like this one, it is very difficult to decide which value is correct. Philip suggests that the first entry should be transcribed as Nimb - and the other three should be transcribed as " -

"My log starts at 1 PM !!!" / Nautical Day

This is very rare, but it does happen in some old logs.
Here is an example: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USCS%20Yukon/Book%202/IMG_4130_1.jpg

According to Philip:
The nautical day started at noon on the previous (conventional) day and ran to noon on the next day - so Nautical 21st Oct ran from Noon on the (civil) 20th to Noon on the civil 21st. Nautical days are standard in older ships logbooks (at least from the UK). The Admiralty abolished it in 1805 so I'm surprised to see it in these logs. It was usual to switch back to the civil day when in port, but the older logbooks I've looked at so far don't have data while in port so I've never before seen a logbook where they are actually doing the transition.

We should be able to deal with this in post processing, provided that we know it's happening. ...
When entering Weather Records for nautical days (1PM to noon), please include AM or PM with the hour and use midnight (or mid) and meridian (or merid or noon) for 12 o'clock. If you are not sure whether it is AM or PM, just enter the hour. You do not need to include AM/PM with the normal 1AM to midnight log format. Events should be transcribed exactly as they are written.
Note: 1AM, 1am, 1 AM, and 1 am are all treated the same.

Missing or Incorrect Day, Month, or Year

If all or part of the date is incorrect or missing, please do not fix it.

The only time this rule [i.e., do not add or correct] makes me squirm a little is when the date is obviously wrong - often there are a few days in January when the logkeeper continues to write the wrong year - but it happens at other times, too; most often the wrong year or month. 

Ever since the "Don't add" message was posted, I've been scrupulously entering these erroneous dates, even though it seems it will be difficult to sort out later.  I confess that in my first few days, I added an "event/other" that said "wrong date" but I haven't done that since October.  I swear. ...
From what we've seen so far, the log keepers write in the wrong date about once a year.

Here's the blob plot for the date information from HMS Goliath (4 months, January-April 1915).

This shows the day (top) month(middle) and year(bottom) for each page - big red blobs show where everybody reading the log agreed on what was written, smaller blobs mark occasions where one or two readers thought it said something different. For Goliath, we had little trouble reading the logs, and everybody agrees that there were two occasions when the day written in the log disagreed with the day we'd expect from the pages for the days before and afterwards - these are errors in the logs: on March 14th the logkeeper wrote 19th, and on April 26th he wrote 25th.

So the occasional date error is to be expected (we can't expect the logkeepers to be perfect), and we'll spot it (and fix it) when processing the results. Thanks for mentioning it though - it helps to be warned, and please keep an eye out for more subtle or comprehensive errors.

Philip

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:21:01 pm by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:03:55 pm »
Other

Sometimes it is simply not possible to type exactly what you see.

If a picture is part of the transcription, it must be converted to words.
Examples:
     A picture of an anchor is transcribed as "anchor". 
     A picture of an anchor followed by the letters 'ed' is transcribed as "anchored". 
     An upside down T, the mathematical symbol for perpendicular, is transcribed as "abeam".

See http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=639.0 for more examples.

Superscripts can be simply typed in or indicated by an apostrophe (') depending on clarity and personal preference.
Examples:
     "Read Warrant No 73" can be transcribed as "Read Warrant No 73" or "Read Warrant No. 73"
     "ford" (short for forward) can be transcribed as "for'd"

Degree marks for temperature, Latitude/Longitude, and bearing may be omitted entirely as long as the meaning is clear. Where essential, type out the word degrees or use a lower-case 'o'.

Fractions can be transcribed as decimals - except in wind direction.
Example:
     41/2 becomes 4.5

Wind directions such as E 1/2 S and NE by E 3/4 E should be transcribed as written.

Sometimes we can take a little shortcut.

This is a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: I know we're not meant to add anything, but how about taking away irrelevant bits of punctuation? Specifically, this is about the names of ships. A few log-keepers are consistently putting full stops between the individual letters of 'H.M.S.' and putting quotation marks around the names of ships, but most vary between putting no full stops at all, putting only two full stops and omitting the third, putting all three / no quotation marks, two quotation marks, one quotation mark etc. So far, I've been writing it all down as I see it, and I'll carry on doing it if you tell me it's vital, but it's a bit of a pain to transcribe, to be honest, and I don't really see its significance. After all, how likely is it that anyone would really be interested in researching the usage of full stops in Royal Navy log books? So I was wondering whether it might be permissible to render H.M.S "Alsatian", H.M.S. "Alsatian, HMS "Alsatian", H.M.S. Alsatian etc. all as 'HMS Alsatian' for simplicity's sake.
I think HMS Alsatian is good enough, mutabilitie.
That's how I do it.  ;)
Examples:
     Abbreviations like H.M.S. can be transcribed as HMS.
     Wind directions like S.W. can be transcribed as SW.
     Weather codes like b.c. can be transcribed as bc.

' meaning (nautical) miles or minutes may be omitted entirely as long as the meaning is clear. 

" meaning inches or seconds may be omitted entirely as long as the meaning is clear. 

If a page has been filled in and then crossed out, please transcribe the entries as usual and include the crossing-out as an Event: 'page crossed out' or something similar.
(If you are really curious, see: http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=2623.msg38653#msg38653)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:03:03 am by Randi »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Type What You See - Yes, but ...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:45:47 pm »
Change:
Degree marks for temperature, Latitude/Longitude, and bearing may be omitted entirely as long as the meaning is clear. Where essential, type out the word degrees or use a lower-case 'o'.