Author Topic: deported from South Georgia  (Read 1968 times)

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
deported from South Georgia
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:34:37 pm »
HMS Dartmouth is in South Georgia in January 1920.  Most of her activity seems to involve surveying Cumberland Bay but there is an intriguing reference on 21st Jan.  She is involved in deporting two boatloads of deportees from Grytviken, a whaling station.  They are not willing deportees since she sends armed guards ashore to supervise their embarkation.

I haven't managed to find out who they were nor where they were deported to.  They set off in two steam whalers which, even in summer, suggests they weren't going too far.  Has anyone any information to share?

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: deported from South Georgia
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:47:54 pm »
I am GLAD that there was no smell-o-vision attached to that one...oooph it was have stunk beyond belief. :P :P :P

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:06:46 pm »
That's great!! There is no mention of the Magistrate in the ship's log, in fact there is no mention of anyone ashore.  Some of the crew visit a seal rookery but that is all.  I'd love to find the Captain's log for that trip and find out some of the background.

I don't know how you tracked that one but it makes sense of it all and I'll put an outline as an editor's note in the log.

Thanks for your help - do you want an acknowledgement ?

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:15:34 pm »
I used the search string
"South Georgia"January 1920
with the regular google search.

Glad to help - a nice break from trying to write documentation :P :P :P
No need to acknowledge ;)

studentforever

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »
Keep up the good work.  When I finish editing and go back to transcribing I shall be duly grateful for your labours.  I wish we could get some more RN logs though, there must be other stories like this lurking in there with some weather reports as an added bonus.