Author Topic: Concord -- Discussion: Questions and Comments  (Read 186594 times)

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Concord -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
« Reply #795 on: January 24, 2015, 04:33:48 pm »
Me, I'm just doing a little bit each day because the Patterson is my primary target.
But once she's done, I will switch to the Concord full-time - I promise.

Every bit helps and you and Craig are really advancing the collection of the weather data. I'm slow because as well as entering the various events, I'm also logging all the places mentioned (looking up the lat/long URL and alternate names) - about 150 in the Philippines so far. Stuart is providing invaluable help in keeping track of all the people mentioned. I think it important to document these little villages that we shoot up, or where other military actions occur. The same goes for the people mentioned. These events are very important in the history of both the United States and the Philippines.

I hope that in Phase 4 that only one copy, instead of three, for each event page would need to be documented and people could choose to do just weather, or just events or both. That way the people most interested in the events could work away on those pages without slowing down the work on the weather records, or have the events pages skipped by three people who are just interested in getting the weather done.

Hanibal94

• Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 24, 2015, 04:39:51 pm »
I hope that in Phase 4 that only one copy, instead of three, for each event page would need to be documented and people could choose to do just weather, or just events or both. That way the people most interested in the events could work away on those pages without slowing down the work on the weather records, or have the events pages skipped by three people who are just interested in getting the weather done.

Excellent idea, Michael! I'll second that.
Unfortunately, it might not work 100% of the time because some ships have weather and events on one page, like the Patterson from 1884 - 1890.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 24, 2015, 11:33:19 pm »
We take what we get. I like doing both, but I'm an amateur historian at heart.

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
  • A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 25, 2015, 05:25:26 am »
Perhaps 100-day weeks, Kookaburra, but we're getting there  ;D

We can go fast because Stuart and Michael are recording the interesting stuff.

Please don't usurp me.  :'(

Hanibal94

• Better to do it, than live with the fear of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 25, 2015, 10:28:56 am »
Don't worry, Stuart - in the very unlikely event that I come close to usurping you, I will switch to another ship until you have done some more WR, then I will do just enough to catch up to you again. Rinse and repeat as often as necessary.
And since you started the Concord a lot earlier than I did, your total will definitely be higher than mine in the end.

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 25, 2015, 10:40:47 am »
 :)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 25, 2015, 03:50:08 pm »
It will be a while before I catch up to you, Stuart, unless you go on anther world tour. Perhaps some new ships or a new interface will be available by then. I am having trouble finding a ship where I don't disrupt people. I certainly don't need the honour of being captain of the Concord.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 25, 2015, 05:02:36 pm »
It will be a while before I catch up to you, Stuart, unless you go on anther world tour. Perhaps some new ships or a new interface will be available by then. I am having trouble finding a ship where I don't disrupt people. I certainly don't need the honour of being captain of the Concord.

You're not disrupting us by any means, Craig. As for being the new Captain, all I can say is  :-X

Pommy Stuart

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 25, 2015, 08:31:11 pm »
Craig.
I agree with you, who would want to be the Captain of the Concord with all the drunken fighting disrespectful crew.
(Michael may enjoy the change of Captain.)
A few cruises are coming up in 2015 & 2016 (Hawaii, Greenland and Northwest Passage, Fiji and the Med) maybe you could stand in for me then as you are doing such a good job with the WR's.
As for disrupting us, you are so far ahead we don't even notice you are there (no disrespect intended).

Unfortunately, it might not work 100% of the time because some ships have weather and events on one page, like the Patterson from 1884 - 1890.

I agree that is a good idea IN PRINCIPLE, but who decides to be the events coordinator?

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 25, 2015, 09:10:19 pm »
Craig.
I agree with you, who would want to be the Captain of the Concord with all the drunken fighting disrespectful crew.
(Michael may enjoy the change of Captain.)
A few cruises are coming up in 2015 & 2016 (Hawaii, Greenland and Northwest Passage, Fiji and the Med) maybe you could stand in for me then as you are doing such a good job with the WR's.
As for disrupting us, you are so far ahead we don't even notice you are there (no disrespect intended).

I agree that is a good idea IN PRINCIPLE, but who decides to be the events coordinator?

In your OW profile you would select a preference for entering just WRs, just Events or both. The system would then have three streams for WRs, and one for Events. The only people to enter WR data would be those who chose to enter just WRs or both, and similarly for Events. No-one need coordinate anything more than is done now. In fact, it is currently possible that three people could be on a ship and each might decide that the other ones will enter the Events and no-one actually does. This way each Event page would be done by someone who wanted to do it.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 25, 2015, 09:26:26 pm »
The PTB are looking into things like this.
With the wide variety of logbook formats it isn't easy.

No one knows in advance if a page has weather, events, both (http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Jamestown/vol003of067/vol003of067_188_0.jpg), or something else. So, we can't simply give someone weather pages.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 25, 2015, 10:01:55 pm »
True, but for ships like Concord and others it could be done.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 25, 2015, 11:46:27 pm »
What is more, how do you keep the logbooks for a single ship from changing back and forth between "clean" copies and working deck logs?  And what happens with inserts where the "WR" n_0.jpg is really an event log in the captain's hand?

The PTB are indeed working on it, also on how to split WR pages in half so you can actually finish something in half the time.  It is not easy.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 26, 2015, 02:06:27 am »
No, I'm sure it isn't, but they are working on it, and that's encouraging. Even if nothing can come of it, at least we know they tried.

mapurves

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 27, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »
I love misplaced modifiers!

J. F. Hayes (Lds) of the U.S.S. Pampanga was placed in solitary confinement on bread and water for three days for being drunk on duty by request of the Commanding Officer of the Pampanga.

So, if your commander requests that you get drunk while on duty,should you be punished?  I want to talk to my lawyer!   ;D