Author Topic: Patterson -- Discussion: Questions and Comments  (Read 162263 times)

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Patterson -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:18:53 pm »
Add your questions and comments to this topic.

If you need help transcribing see:
Patterson -- Reference: Transcription Example and Log Description

Guides for US logs: drawing entry boxes, transcribing and editing
Getting Your Sea Legs
The Logs and FAQ
Handwriting Help
Technical Support

If you are interested in the names of crew members see:
Patterson -- Crew Lists

Example of what a weather page might look like when transcribing the last line of data:
Page link

Example of what an events page might look like after the data has been transcribed:
Page link

The date is required.
You may transcribe more information than is shown here.

List of common oddities and errors in the logs:

The Patterson has an unusually high number of problems and issues in her logs. These are listed here, along with links to how we should handle them.

Logs from the 1910s:

Logs from the 19th century to 1905:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:23:02 pm by Hanibal94 »

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Patterson -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:15:18 pm »
The early scans for patterson are not very helpful I'm sorry to report. Clearly a case of a large and tightly bound book, but is there anyway that the machinery can be adjusted to be helpful...I've just encountered this:
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USCS%20Patterson/Book%201/IMG_4771_0.jpg
and it's no fun at all.
Thanks to the powers that be and the scanner folk, in anticipation.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »
Joan, the early logs for this launch are both part of the learning curve, and done on old machines that are no longer being used, so its a case of working through the start.   I think Patterson is the worst one so far to surface. 

Patterson is also already reported in "Listing of Faulty Scanned Pages" on the Technical Support board.  The weekend is the wrong time to ask for resolution of the problem.  We'll work it through somehow next week, because I myself don't know if it's borderline in archive quality or just plain not.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 06:42:21 pm »
Joan, I got started transcribing last night, and between all the 'OK' buttons working now and getting used following those curved-crooked lines, I started having fun last night. 

Do you have another ship I can play in while you steal the captaincy back? ;)

Kevin

• Old Weather Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 07:22:38 pm »
There is only one volume of this type for PATTERSON. After this it switches to something that looks like the other Coast Survey logs that are more loosely bound. The main issue is the lack of a Zeutschell (a sort of hi-tech book press) at our A2 location at the time this was shot. Let me know if it becomes impossible to work with.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:01:35 pm »
Joan, I got started transcribing last night, and between all the 'OK' buttons working now and getting used following those curved-crooked lines, I started having fun last night. 

Do you have another ship I can play in while you steal the captaincy back? ;)

Glad you enjoyed the Patterson Janet, but those curvy pages are a real teaser aren't they  ::)? You certainly steamed through a stack of pages! Impressive! I did wonder whether we ought to get, if possible, an early report from Philip and co. as to how accurate we are working. What do you think? I've nearly crossed over a couple of lines as I worked. So now I'm purposely slower with this one. It'll be easier towards the middle of the book.
I noticed that the Yorktown and Yukon are trailing, on pages done, compared to the rest.  I'd  hate for that to put folks off - that's why I've not gone back to the Rodgers. But you're very welcome to the Patterson helm if you're enjoying it!  ;D 8)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 08:18:27 pm »
There is only one volume of this type for PATTERSON. After this it switches to something that looks like the other Coast Survey logs that are more loosely bound. The main issue is the lack of a Zeutschell (a sort of hi-tech book press) at our A2 location at the time this was shot. Let me know if it becomes impossible to work with.
Kevin, it can be done as is.  It is slow, and it may turn into a late bloomer.  If NARA will think they are inferior as archive quality goes, wanting a redo, it would be kind to do that first and then ask for transcriptions.  If they meet archive quality, then just have patience and know it will eventually be done.  Every transcriber slowly, the mind has to be rested, but it works because the handwriting is quite legible.

Glad you enjoyed the Patterson Janet, but those curvy pages are a real teaser aren't they  ::)? You certainly steamed through a stack of pages! Impressive! I did wonder whether we ought to get, if possible, an early report from Philip and co. as to how accurate we are working. What do you think? I've nearly crossed over a couple of lines as I worked. So now I'm purposely slower with this one. It'll be easier towards the middle of the book.
I noticed that the Yorktown and Yukon are trailing, on pages done, compared to the rest.  I'd  hate for that to put folks off - that's why I've not gone back to the Rodgers. But you're very welcome to the Patterson helm if you're enjoying it!  ;D 8)

Well, I've already started to look at Yukon, and I'm going to stay with her for a while because it will be easier to answer newbie questions if I've experienced it.  All the discussion today about overlapping boxes and double barometers helped me decide.  And while I enjoy being captain, it has never been an overwhelming goal for me.  If we play leap-frog with Patterson, life will be fun and the ship will be transcribed (2/3rds worth.) 8)

I have one pet peeve that needs solving if I'm going to transcribe instead of research landmarks - where is she??!! ???

Am I really seeing Mendocino and Humboldt in California, or are we somewhere very different?

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:30:01 pm »
Yes, Yukon is off the coast of northern California.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 08:33:59 pm »
Thanks, that helps.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 08:51:44 pm »
If you see something like "Square 781" in red ink, see http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3404.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:51:28 am by Randi »

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 09:55:09 pm »
When I started, it was talking about Trinidad!
It took me awhile to figure out that we weren't in the Caribbean!

That is definitely one name that will misdirect no matter where you look, if you don't know approx. location ahead of asking. ;)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 10:46:02 am »
Yes, thanks for putting it in SODA, Randi. I was wondering too. Then I came across Eureka and I was really confused.

See my note in the duplicates thread. There are lots of duplicates and triplicates in the Yukon/Mary Ann

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 11:07:41 am »
Yes, thanks for putting it in SODA, Randi. I was wondering too. Then I came across Eureka and I was really confused.

See my note in the duplicates thread. There are lots of duplicates and triplicates in the Yukon/Mary Ann

It was the "Mendocino" that aimed me at California in the first place - I have an aunt currently living in Chico, and knew she was nearer to Mendocino than San Francisco.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:36:46 pm »
This is the report to congress on the building and commissioning of the Carlile P. Patterson in 1884.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 06:46:38 pm »
Blah!! ANOTHER duplicated page:
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USCS%20Patterson/Book%201/IMG_4782_0.jpg
August 8th 1884

LESSON TO LEARN: now we can go back to pages check the next two pages as you go along to avoid spending hours wasting your time. Sigh!