Author Topic: Unalga I -- Discussion: Questions and Comments  (Read 101180 times)

propriome

• View Profile
Re: Unalga -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 09:27:16 pm »
Just modified the post...

I'd be glad, however, to attempt a transcription... it would not require that great amount of time. I stopped transcribing to keep these pages on the last 10 and eventually edit them, but I'm unsure about how to organize data.

I've not a "grid" available to enter rows of infos (at least their names, badge no., and their abbreviated occupation), and a big "event" would be perhaps a little messy to insert without carriage returns (a textarea instead of a normal input box, for events, perhaps would have been better for entering multi-lines text).

By the way, I'm pretty sure we'll find a roster like that one at the end of each month...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:55:25 pm by propriome »

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 09:38:40 pm »
an edittext instead of a normal input box, for events, perhaps would have been better for entering multi-lines text

I have passed this suggestion along ;)

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 10:43:17 am »
I have an idea (shocking, I know  ;D). Why don't we create a separate topic for these list pages in the Dockyard.  That way, when the ships are done, or if someone wants to now, these lists can be entered into SODA. At the very least, a separate topic will make it easier for people to find these pages.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 11:19:18 am »
One separate topic or a separate topic for each ship
?

We could put them in this topic - that would keep things for each ship together.
If the person posting them made a very visible heading (and perhaps a key word - like transcription), they should be (relatively) easy to find.

Transcription of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
?

Transcribers could put them here and then shipherds could append them to the corresponding Reference topic
?

What do you think?

Whatever we decide, I could add a note to the first post of this topic :-\

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 11:25:59 am »
I think one topic for all ships - like we did for the instrumentation pages - with the ship and date info at the top of each post. If they were with each ship then it will get harder to find each page. With one topic dedicated to these pages, they should be easier to find.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 11:56:17 am »
OK - Go ahead and create it ;D

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 01:31:09 pm »
So sweet - one of those rare things - a doodle in the log. From pretty much the last blank page in the log (jan to may 1942):
http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0139_cr2_to_jpg/b0139_229_1.jpg

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »
Here's a transcription attempt (name, badge no., occupation) for the two roster sheets of January 1942.. if you found something wrong, and/or can read some of the names I've not been able to, let me know:

Edit: Removed to keep thread compact... randi has reformatted them far better in the following post :)
Edit2: Reintroduced with randi's formatting since from some February journal entries I've already found something to correct:
Edit3: Transcription moved to "Unalga Crew Lists" topic.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:44:48 pm by propriome »

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »
We've always an officer list too, at the start of each month, i've not saved January link, but its content has not changed in February:

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0139_cr2_to_jpg/b0139_048_0.jpg

The list contains name, rank, and relative's address of all officials on board. It could be useful as reference also because all journal entries are always signed by one or two of them.

Edit: Transcription moved to "Unalga Crew Lists" topic.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:45:07 pm by propriome »

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 05:47:38 pm »
I wonder if any of these officers from 1942 are still with us?  :o

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 05:54:43 pm »
Hi propriome,
That tilde ((wife) ~ R. L. Rolu) is 'c/o'

It had not occurred to me that they could still be going - though fairly well on in years by now of course.
J

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 06:16:16 pm »
Thanks Avast... just corrected.
I'm still wondering how I've been able to miss that :D :D

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 02:04:18 pm »
A curious entry (while unalga was running to assist SS Lihue, which had been torpedoed and was towed by USS Partridge - whence probably the two empty rafts) on Feb 26, 1942 (log page):
14.16: Sighted object in water. changed course to investigate.
14.24: Object identified as fabricated life raft made from oil drums and lumber, all gear intact on raft. Position: 15 46N, 63 53W.
14.26: Resumed original course and speed.
14.34: Sighted object in water, changed course to 84 pgc to investigate.
14.45: Object identified as raft (as above) empty. Changed course to 222 pgc to regain position on original course.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:16:15 pm by propriome »

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 03:12:07 pm »
Albert Lees is found guilty of desertion - March 27 1942:

Page: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0139_cr2_to_jpg/b0139_132_1.jpg

Transcription:

* LEES, ALBERT (106-258) BM 2/C guilty of Desertion as of October 10, 1939; sentenced by General Court Martial as follows. "The court, therefore, sentences him, Albert Lees, boatsman's mate second class, US Coast Guard, to be reduced to the rating of apprentice seaman, to be confined for a period of six (6) months, then to be discharged from the United States Naval Service with a Bad Conduct Discharge and to suffer all the other accessories of said sentence as prescribed by section 622, Naval Court and Boards. The Naval Operating Base, Norfolk Va., is designated as the place for the execution of so much of the sentence as relate to the confinement.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 03:29:42 pm »
It is interesting that it is already available.
RN court martial records are sealed for 99 years. All that the logs normally say is that there was a court martial.