Poll

How difficult to transcribe are the currently available log pages of the Unalga II, relative to other ships?

1-STAR:  Easy log ‒ excellent for new transcribers
0 (0%)
2-STARS:  Intermediate log ‒ good for all transcribers
2 (100%)
3-STARS:  Challenging log ‒ suitable for experienced transcribers or new transcribers willing to take on a challenge
0 (0%)
4-STARS:  Very challenging log ‒ suitable only for experienced transcribers because of highly variable formats
0 (0%)
Sometimes one level, sometimes very much another; please explain this in a reply to this topic
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Unalga II -- Discussion: Questions and Comments  (Read 11351 times)

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
Re: Unalga II -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2013, 12:56:08 pm »
I'll say! And now they're all getting Christmas leave.  http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0181_cr2_to_jpg/b0181_105_1.jpg

One might as well capture the complete crew list once and for all and have done with it.

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2013, 01:39:33 pm »
Hi Craig - I saw those last few pages - you're a hero to sort that lot out, especially so quickly - it's like the mad hatter's tea party on that boat.  I just finished my last page - so Unalga II is VAL as far as I can tell. I'll put a note into 'chat' to get someone else to check - but it does say 100% done.
 ;D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2013, 02:21:28 pm »
When I click transcribe for Unalga II, I get Yorktown ;D

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »
Me, too!

UNALGA II IS COMPLETE!!

Break out the rum!!

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2013, 02:37:43 pm »
Hi Craig - I saw those last few pages - you're a hero to sort that lot out, especially so quickly - it's like the mad hatter's tea party on that boat.  I just finished my last page - so Unalga II is VAL as far as I can tell. I'll put a note into 'chat' to get someone else to check - but it does say 100% done.
 ;D

I have to confess that I didn't sort it out, Joan. I announced before I began this ship that I wouldn't record mentions of persons. Matteo said he had done them all so I boarded the ship (without a mention  ;D).

AvastMH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2013, 04:38:12 pm »
 ;D

I have to confess that I didn't sort it out, Joan. I announced before I began this ship that I wouldn't record mentions of persons. Matteo said he had done them all so I boarded the ship (without a mention  ;D).

Well spotted then - a double tot of rum for you! Hic! ;D

jil

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2013, 06:36:25 pm »
Me, too!

UNALGA II IS COMPLETE!!

Break out the rum!!

Wooooo Hoooooo!

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2013, 12:00:22 pm »
The Unalga hasn't moved for over a  month now, but every day there is a slight variation in the address recorded for Todd's shipyard in Seattle:

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0148_cr2_to_jpg/b0148_041_0.jpg

I think the log keeper has found a way to express his creativity ;D

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2013, 01:51:01 pm »
Uhm... those logs are from Unalga II  ??? ???

Are they still present after Unalga I 1942 set? I thought they were moved to Unalga II after the separation...

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2013, 01:53:30 pm »
I'll move them to the right board.  Clearly not all the pages were separated out.

We are truly not going to ask the separate the Yukons in the interface, leave it to the editors.  Much too difficult to get right. :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:59:39 pm by Janet Jaguar »

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 11:10:11 am »
Don't you love the handwriting of ensign W.F. Raes (sp?)?  I am assuming that's "wnw" at 8 AM.  It would save the navy lots of paper if all the log keepers wrote this small  ;D

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0148_cr2_to_jpg/b0148_215_0.jpg

moved here since it's part of Unalga II voyages
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:53:08 am by propriome »

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2013, 11:52:34 am »
Hi Craig,

I've moved here the post, since the miniaturizer-ensign W.F. Raes is present only aboard Unalga II ;)

He gave me several little troubles in event pages, when i had to distinguish between m,n,e,c,r and more or less half of the letters in the alphabet ;D ;D

That weather entry seems an almost-readable (for his standards) WNW.. just wait for his ink to finish, and you'll see worst cases ;D

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2013, 12:01:36 pm »
Thanks for reminding me about U-II, Matteo.

Yes, I am very glad you have done the remarks pages.  Every once and a while I try to read a line or two just so that I can appreciate your effort ;D

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:46 pm »
I am always surprised when the barometer drops below 29.00 and nothing much appears to happen. In this case it got to 28.78

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USRC%20Unalga/b0148_cr2_to_jpg/b0148_346_0.jpg

The winds were very light. There was some rain but no enough to warrant a comment in the remarks. The pressure didn't get above 29 until the following night.

propriome

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2013, 01:21:41 pm »
Yup, that pressure is particularly low...
Looking at weather history for Kodiak (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PADQ/1947/10/25/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA - just found it) those low pressures on 25 Oct '47 were recorded, and should not, therefore, be errors from logkeeper or barometer.