Author Topic: Vicksburg -- Discussion: Questions and Comments  (Read 41931 times)

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
  • Smell the sea, feel the sky, & fly into the mystic
    • View Profile
Re: Vicksburg -- Discussion: Questions and Comments
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:19:54 am »
I'm thinking they were corrections from 5 to 0.  The weather changed from bc to oclt and ocltr - overcast never leaves half the sky blue.  Very sloppy of the log keeper, not crossing out and changing alongside.

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 11:54:10 am »
Here too: http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Vicksburg/vol004of023_jpg_clean/vol004of23_151_0.jpg. In this case, it looks as if the number might have been erased :-\

I wonder if it is connected with the weather being overcast. The number changed to zero because the sky was completely overcast? I see zero at least some of the time when the sky is overcast.

I don't know what the best answer is. - I see that Janet has rescued me ;D

You might want to put a note in Type What You See - Questions and Comments

Oops, I didn't notice that Janet had already replied because it was on the next page ::)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:56:21 am by randi_2 »

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:01 pm »
I have some more information on the USS Vicksburg. In February 1904 it was a witness to one of the first actions of the Russo-Japanese war. It was at Chemlpo, Korea with the following warships HMS Talbot, French Pascal, Italian Elba almong with the Russian protected cruiser Varyag,gunboat koreetz and transport Sungari. On the 8th a japanese cruiser squadron and a number of transports showed up and the transports started landing troops. The next day at 0900 the japanese issued an ultamatum to all Russian and foriegn ships for the russian ships to leave the harbor by 1200 hours or be attacked at 1600 and for all foriegn ships to leave the scene in order to avoid danger.
 The captains of the varyag, Pascal, Elba, (but not the Vicksburg) met on the talbot. As a result the commander of the Talbot Captain  (later Admiral) Lewis Bayly visted the japanese flagship with a protest from all the ship captains,except the Vicksburg's, on behave of their goverments against the Japanese proposed attack inside the 3 mile limit and the violation of korean neutrality. The japanese agreed as long as the Russians inflicted no damage on them they would not damage the foriegn ships.
Meanwhile, The Varyag and Koreetz got ready for battle and around 1100 got underway. As they passed the other warships the two ships bands played the national anthems of their respective countries. The crews of the other ships cheered and the russian crews cheered them back and sang their national anthem "God save the Tsar". At 1145 the japanese Armored cruiser Asama oped fire on the Varyag which returned fire. Five shells hit the varyag in quick succestion setting the ship on fire. The 7 other japanese warships also opened fire and soon the varyag was hit numerous times and turned back to the harbor followed by the koreetz which had been hit once. The ships returned to their achorages while the japanese force broke off the action and waited outside.
 The Russian captains seeing things were hopeless decided to scuttle their ships. Their crews were taken aboard the other European warships. The Vicksburg picked up some survivors and transfered them to the other ships. The Sugari was burned. The koreetz was blown up. While the Varyag was scuttled by opening the sea cocks and explosive charges. As the ship sank the bands on the other warships played the Russian national anthem, the sailors cheered and thousands of civilians on shore applauded. Offshore on the japanese ships the flagship Asama signaled "Banzai for His Imperial Majesty" and the crews of all the ships turned east and bowed.

JamesAPrattIII

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 10:35:32 pm »
Postscrpt on the battle:
When the crews of the Varyag and the koreetz got back to Russia with the help of the other European warships they were treated like conquering heros for their brave fight against the odds. A campaign medal was awarded to all the members of the two ships crews. All the officers recieved the Order of St george 4th class from the Tsar who also gave all the members of the crew silver and money. Members of the public gave the crewmen jewels and clothing.
 The Russian goverment was also somewhat upset with the Vicksburg for not doing anything during this action like the other foriegn warships. As a result when the US military observers arrived in the capital St Petersburg to observe the Russo-japanese war they were excluded from the Tsar's welcoming reception. The Captain of the varyag recieved a medal from the Japanese after the war ended in 1907. As for the Varyag, which was made in the US, the ship was salvaged post war put into service in the Japanese Navy as the Soya. In 1916 during WW I when the japanese and Russians were allies she was transfered back to the Russians under her old name. At the outbreak of the russian revolution in 1917 the Varyag was in England and was later taken over by the british goverment. The varyag was wrecked in 1925 while being towed to a scrapyard.

Kathy

• Editor
  • In the beginning was the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 06:22:48 pm »
An interesting note from the Vicksburg, Nov. 17, 1887:

From 4 to 8 P.M.  Cloudy first hour, then clear and pleasant to close.  Gentle breeze from N.W.  Discharged from this ship and from the U.S. Naval Service by order of the Bureau of Navigation and by reason of purchase, John J. Quirk (Lamplighter) amount of purchase $48.00

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 07:13:39 pm »
That doesn't make sense to me.  Are they saying, some entity purchased his lamplighter services?  Or he purchased a voluntary discharge?

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 11:09:36 pm »
I think it means he bought out his "contract" - his enlistment period, if you will.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if that is why it is sometimes referred to as "cashiered" when someone leaves the service.  Well, I looked up "cashiering", and that was a punishment - the person being cashiered lost the money he paid for his commission.  I guess it is the same sort of thing, only not a punishment, but rather a form of retirement.

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 11:31:10 pm »
Now that makes sense.  Since the Bureau of Navigation said he was "purchased", I'm guessing he bought out of finishing his contract.  I really can't see any gov't willingly paying someone to leave them short handed. :D

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »
Just found this!
http://navalwarfare.blogspot.fr/2009/07/uss-vicksburg-pg-11.html
"a complete barkentine rig that could spread more than 11,000 square feet of canvas"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:33:00 pm by randi_2 »

lollia paolina

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 09:15:19 am »
April 25th, 1899: Navigating Officer started writing two values in the temperature of water at surface:

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Vicksburg/vol006of023_jpg_clean/vol006of23_034_0.jpg

and the following day is the same:

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/final/USS%20Vicksburg/vol006of023_jpg_clean/vol006of23_036_0.jpg

I transcribed those values in the "temperaure of water at surface" box the following way: 63-50.

If you prefer a different way, please let me know :)

Randi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:04 am »
Hi Silvia, Happy New Year!

Please see "Double Entries" in http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?topic=3191.msg51629#msg51629

lollia paolina

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 11:10:49 am »
Thank you randi_2 :)
Happy New Year to you, too!! :)

Kathy

• Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 04:05:48 pm »
Hi all -

I have working on the Vicksburg, and I just realized that the morning and evening lat/long entries don't specify the type - Observed or DR.  What to do? 

Janet Jaguar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 05:14:15 pm »
In general, all unlabeled lat/long readings are DR - except at Noon.  At noon, any unlabeled lat/longs are assumed to be observed.

ANY form of observation is considered observed.

Craig

• Shipherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 05:27:14 pm »
"observed" but not "Observed"?